Tla Logo

Enter your email address for an exclusive lingerie guide and a sample chapter of
'In Intimate Detail'!

We promise to never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for the Perfect Lingerie Guide? Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail are Now Available!

Order Your Copy Today!

Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie are available now! Click here!

6 Sports Bras For Full Busted Women

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.

Image via Figleaves

Have you caught the Olympic fever yet? I don't even have a TV (yeah, I know, I'm a luddite) and I've found myself going to to eat in places that are showing the Olympic events. There's something addictive about seeing the Olympic athletes strive for perfection like that.

Seeing all of the different events has really inspired me to try some new stuff in my own workouts, and reminded me that I really need to update my sports bra collection. I actually find sports bras to be one of the more difficult subjects to talk about when it comes to full busted lingerie. Not only are the options far more limited for full busted women, but people also tend to make assumptions about why you want one.

If you're on the, ahem, larger end of the full bust spectrum then people tend to assume you're trying to lose weight. If you're on the smaller end, people want to tell you that you don't need to work out. All of these sports bras are great for everything from running a marathon to a once-a-week Zumba class and health is important regardless of body size or type. And yes, having a sports bra that fits definitely falls into the health category.

Here is a quick roundup of the most popular sports bras on the market for full busted women, as well as their pros and cons:

Shock Absorber Level 4:

Image via Figleaves

This has been my staple sports bra for over a year now. I only switched since I lost weight and gained cup sizes. It's definitely not perfect, but it's a great place to start. The bands run tight and it is compression based, so it isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's great for working out, but I can't imagine lounging around in it comfortably. In addition, the double set of hooks on the back seems to require contortionist training to fasten by yourself. If you're someone who hates any bounce at all or you're a fan of high-impact workouts, this bra should be on your list.

Pros: Attractive range of colors, no bounce, low price.
Cons: Potentially uncomfortable compression, difficult to fasten solo.

Panache Sports Bra:

Image via Figleaves

Panache says this bra will reduce bounce by 83%! It was an instant hit when it came out and is incredibly cute for a sports bra. I've heard mixed reviews from people who have tried it, but those who are fans swear by it. It's also the most expensive bra on this list.

Pros: Attractiveness
Cons: Price

Elomi Energise Underwired Sports Bra:

Image via Figleaves

This sports bra is incredibly comfortable and retains that "regular" bra feel while still stopping bounce when you exercise. It's easy to get on and off by yourself and gives you nice separation under your workout clothes. It's underwired, which ensures great shape while keeping you supported. The downside is that it starts at a 34 band, so anyone below that won't be able to wear it.

Pros: Small range of colors, comfort, shape
Cons: Limited band sizes

Freya Active Underwire Sports Bra:

Image via Figleaves

This is another great basic sports bra for your collection. It gets rave reviews from everyone and will support you through almost any type of athletic activity. It's available in all the standard colors plus a black and pink colorway. I'd love to see Freya come out with a more adventurous looking version in the future, but for now I'm just happy they're making such a solid style.

Pros: Support
Cons: Limited colors

Royce Impact Free Sports Bra:

Image via Figleaves

I haven't mentioned size ranges before this because every other bra on this list basically covers the same range (D-H/HH, bands starting at 28). However, if you're above an HH cup this bra from Royce is pretty much your only option. Luckily it's a really good one. The band runs tight, but it's supportive and comfortable. The hooks in the back are covered by velcro, which will curl upwards after repeated trips through the washing machine. Handwash it each time and your back will thank you when you're doing floor exercises.

Pros: Up to a K cup, supportive
Cons: Has issues when machine washed

Enell Sports Bra:

Image via Fresh Pair

This is the terminator of sports bras, both in looks and in terms of support. Like the Shock Absorber, it works by seriously compressing your chest. This is a high quality sports bra that will last forever, as long as you don't mind wearing something that looks like body armor! Enell's sizing system is also a little weird, so make sure to take your measurements and consult their charts. If you're between sizes, take the smaller one.

Pros: No bounce, longevity
Cons: Looks, sizing system

Have I missed any sports bras that you love? Have you tried any of these? Let me know in the comments!

Last Updated on

Holly
Holly Jackson

The Full Figured Chest provides creative and elegant copywriting for the high end lingerie industry.

1. Shaleena Quilici says:

I need to be pointed in the direction to find a supportive bra or sports bra for an O cup! Can someone please help me??!!!

2. DDtop says:

Hi being a male but need support as 44DD/46D found the glamorise 1166 really nice can pull flap up at front in 4 stages at top works like a compression garment more which for me is ok.
    Have the Elomi in44 and 46DD only thing i found is that make them point out the 46DD is slightly big but ok as not so pointy and ok for cycling more.comfortable though.
    the Gemm one although cheap is pretty good bit like a semi padded/lined cups.
    Had Gyno since young along with FMS/Raynauds but have high prolactin levels from a pituitary tumor so they get very sensitive/sore so need something to protect my chest as if things chaffing it can increase prolactin also!
    So not just you ladies that have problems as we both have B’s just that some have more some have less.

3. Char says:

I wear Enell (even though I’m between sizes) and Lynx Sportswear. Lynx is very new and small. They had a bra-tank design but took it off the shelf to re-work it. I prefer no underwire in my sports bras, which limits my options. The Freya Active soft cup didn’t support me enough for running, so I’ve stuck with Enell and Lynx. I should point out that I think I have hyper-sensitive breasts as well, so even the smallest bounce is painful for me.

4. Rachel says:

The Triaction range by Triumph are very good. They have quite a large number of different bras in the Triaction range now, going up to 42E. They have expanded this range quite a bit over the few years since they introduced it.

5. Teresa says:

I hate my Enell. I went back to doubling up instead of wearing it. I get cramps in my back when I wear it for more than a couple hours and you can’t get a full breath.

I am considering the Panache. I just wish I could try it on before I bought it so I would know if it fits. I may try the Freya also.

We are planning a trip to Europe next year. Maybe I will have to get all my souvenirs from the lingerie shop!

6. Mel says:

I appreciate your efforts, Holly, as I’m sure do many of your readers, but your coverage is incomplete (pun intended). What about the biggest-cup gals with (relatively) narrow backs who still want to exercise but cannot effectively because there’s no sports bra out there able to accommodate their girls? I’m talking about 36, 38 in the band, and K, L, M, N in the cup (U.S. sizes). I stop at N because that’s pretty much where the manufacturers (e.g. Goddess, Elomi — and that’s pretty much all the manufactures, too!) stop these days. Enell seems to be the least lousiest of the bunch, but even an Enell is inadequate unless worn with another bra. (And an Enell won’t last forever. After about 3 years 3x week, it gets pretty frayed.)

Are there any encouraging words for the biggest gals who want to exercise without the bounce, or is a BR the only hope?!

Thanks for listening.

7. Elegy says:

I more like the style Freya brings to the table- this is the sports bra I want to purchase:

What I really liked about this article is how you broke down the pro’s and con’s from experience with the bras instead of just throwing them out there. Much appreciated.

8. Anna says:

I must say the shock absorber run bra is my holy grail sports bra. I like running and with my 34E (UK) boobs, it is mandatory to have a good one! It runs from 32A to 38F (The bands are tight, I use a 36D). I believe it is designed to reduce the figure 8 movement of runners, but it works for other stuff as well!

Thanks for a great blog! You inspired me to go get fitted at a lingerie shop, and found out I was a 34E not a 36D. Now I just have to find bras in this size. In Sweden practically nothing which is affordable on a student budget runs higher than a D…

• Holly says:

I really loved my Shock Absorbers. I wish they made the sport specific bras in larger cup sizes – I’ve wanted to try the tennis one for ages. I also wish they still made the built in bra tops.

I’m glad you got fitted! 34E shouldn’t be so bad if you look online. Most of the good sports bras go to an H cup, so you’re well within the standard range for full bust sports bras. End of season sales can also be a great time to pick them up cheap!

9. Marxus says:

Have you looked at, if possible, at the Triumph Triaction bras?
    My girldfriend tried them after I recommended it to her as she was looking for a good
    one to use for running and they are very suportive and comfortable I was
    told. They also come from light to heavy support depending on the sports and are wire free too.

• Holly says:

I have looked at it, although I haven’t tried it because it doesn’t come in my size. I’ve heard tons of great reviews from other people though, so it’s definitely worth looking into.

10. Karolina Karolina says:

I had to do a whole project based on sports bras at university and my only particularly good experience was with Shock Absorber – saying that, I only really looked in the shops in my local area and it was literally the only brand that they stocked that made a 30D… I kind of want to see what an underwired one feels like when exercising though, I’m just used to having everything squashed flat!

• Holly Holly says:

I really like the underwired ones, Karolina! The Elomi Energise is especially comfortable. However, I’m lazy and I also like my sports bras to do double duty for non-wired travel purposes, so I tend to go with wirefree versions.

11. Lily says:

I have the Freya one, it’s great :) hardly any bounce. I got a size 12E

12. Tori says:

Hogengård of Sweden makes sportsbras in range A-H 65-105 (UK 30-46). I’ve seen one live but I haven’t had the chance the try one on, since the bra in question was three cup sizes too small for me and as far as I’m aware, they’re not sold in stores outside Sweden. The owner was happy with it, though.