Lingerie of the Week: Allegra Bodysuit

ainsliewear-allegra-navy

This week’s “Lingerie of the Week” isn’t quite lingerie. It’s dancewear though, and a bodysuit, so I suppose that makes it activewear?

I went through a big bodysuit/leotard phase about five years ago, but I grew out of it pretty quickly. One-pieces were just a bit too cumbersome to deal with a regular basis. Who wants to disrobe completely to use the bathroom, after all? This Allegra bodysuit from AinslieWear has me reconsidering that position, however. The obvious draw of this piece is, well, obvious. That deep-V mesh back is perfect. I want to wear this with long, loose maxi skirts and short shorts and black jeans because this is the kind of piece that makes any outfit roughly 1,000% more elegant. At $58.00, it’s also a much more reasonable price than I’d expected.

The Allegra bodysuit is available in 3 colors (black, white, navy) and 5 sizes (petite, small, medium, large, extra large). According to AinslieWear’s size chart, the extra large fits maximum measurements of 40-35-45.” That said, the weight maxes out at 150 lbs., which seems…light? Regardless, this is a beautiful piece and from a corner of the industry I rarely remember to check.

What do you think of the Ainslie bodysuit? Is this something you would wear?

TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestGoogle PlusFlickrStumbleUponYouTube

1. 22/07/14 at 17:34

I have to agree the ‘max weight’ seems a bit light for those dimensions since I am pretty much kissing those dimensions (41-33-45) and I weigh 173 on a regular day. I keep on trying to check out the bodysuit but the page keeps failing to load *bops the internet*.

• 22/07/14 at 17:38

Right, I thought the same. I’m a Large according to the size chart, but I weigh more than 150. I’m wondering how my numerical weight affects the fit more than actual measurements do?

In other news, I have no idea why the site is slow today. It was just fine yesterday.

2. Anon
    22/07/14 at 19:24

Their size chart has an intriguing “girth” measurement. When I consulted their how to measure page, it says they consider girth the most important measure. When I tried to measure my girth according to their instructions, I ran out of tape. Thanks Ainslie, I needed that…

• 22/07/14 at 22:20

I feel for you Anon, I ran out of tape measure too as my tape measure is only 60″ long. I think I am a 64″ girth, which would be just above the XL. I also wonder about the height recommendation as I am WAY short for an XL. Think that matters Cora?

• 23/07/14 at 1:43

Same here. 60″ measuring tape, ran out of tape when trying to get my girth (I think I’d be around a 64/65″ too). I haven’t tried this brand so I can’t say if it matters or not, but it might be worth pinging their customer service.

3. 23/07/14 at 10:29

Dancewear size charts are usually surprisingly small/lightweight compared to other size charts. I danced until I was in my early 20s, took a break, and then dropped back in for some open classes in my late 20s. Going to the dancewear shop and revisiting the sizing definitely made some of my body dysmorphia flare up. Since professional ballet dancers, women in particular, tend to be smaller-framed and lighter than the general population, the sizing charts generally skew small. I’ve always been taller and broader than my peers, so well-fitting dancewear was tricky for me. That said, I had never heard of this company, and I LOVE their pieces! They’re really unusual and sophisticated!