Tla Logo

Enter your email address for an exclusive lingerie guide and a sample chapter of
'In Intimate Detail'!

We promise to never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for the Perfect Lingerie Guide? Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail are Now Available!

Order Your Copy Today!

Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie are available now! Click here!

Introducing New Luxury Lingerie Brand: Janay Intimates

Janay Avenue Twenty Four

Strappy details on fashion forward lingerie has been building momentum over the last few years and was one of the biggest trends at the NYC Lingerie Market. Emerging independent brand Janay Intimates, has found a way to repurpose this trend by incorporating straps and cut away details in a fresh and exciting way. Designer Janay Eleanor shares that her design aesthetic is "Delicately British" and is meant to celebrate the contrast between fragility and strength. Her first collection, Avenue Twenty Four, is inspired by the ultra-chic tailored women of London who refuse to compromise on style.

Janay Front

Surprisingly cohesive, Janay's debut incorporates strong architectural lines with sumptuous silks, satins, and laces. Delicate fabrics provide soft contrast to elastic strapping and elevate the strappy design aesthetic to one of luxe sophistication. At first glance you'll notice the bras feature innovative center gore details such as keyhole cutouts or exposed wire channeling.

Janay Pink Front

Equally unusual, and what truly makes these designs sing, are the interesting details in the back of these bras. Lace insets, shirred chiffon panels, and additional straps which "bind" both fabric and skin add to the play of elegance and confidence. These are details that are just begging to peek through sheer tops or backless dresses.

Janay Bra Back Detail

Janay Bra Back Detail 2

Skimpy thongs with lace insets and contrast piping mirror the strappy design aesthetic of the bras. One unusual style features strapping in the back, attached to the silk part of the panty with small rings. More fashion than function, these knickers have a unique silhouette that is sexy and empowering.

The stand-out pieces, though, are the suspender belts. Designed to be worn under the most fitted of pencil skirts, they feature dramatic criss-cross strapping on the hips. X definitely marks the spot with these sexy numbers! Sitting high on the waist, the strong lines formed by the straps provide curve creating structure, emphasizing the swell of hips and thighs.

Janay Garter Belt

Janay Full Set Front

Janay Intimates is committed to keeping all design and manufacturing in the UK. Bras are available in 30-36 A-DD and panties in sizes 8-14 (U.K. sizing). Offered in two colorways, Dusk Grey and Blossom Pink, giving the wearer two different moods.

Janay Intimates

What do you think of this new indie designer? Are you excited about the strappy details trend? Would you wear any of these styles?

Last Updated on

Laurie
Laurie Shapiro

Laurie Shapiro is the former owner and designer of the luxury lingerie label, Toad Lillie. Based in Seattle, WA, she now helps lingerie businesses engage their customers through brand communications and social media.

1. Beverly says:

Although the fabric insets on the bras are beautiful and an interesting idea, in general these look impossibly uncomfortable.

• Laurie Laurie says:

Hi Beverly, I’m glad you enjoyed the post. I understand how the gores on these bras look like they may be uncomfortable. I don’t believe the gores are raised, rather the illusion of being raised as the cup fabric is cut lower, therefore they shouldn’t present any fit issues especially for smaller busts. The style with the exposed channeling may be problematic for some, though. I’d love to hear a review on fit from one of our readers!

2. Sheryl says:

*inward or outward
    Caught a typo!
    Sorry for a beast of a comment, but I guess it just shows that Janay is working with quite an interesting idea!

3. Sheryl says:

This is really interesting. The criss-cross garter belts are really intriguing – I’m super curious what they’re like to wear. They seem like they may move with the body better… despite working as a sales associate in a lingerie store amongst fierce garter belt mavens, I’ve never forayed into them, partly because my upper thighs rub together so baring them doesn’t make much sense for me, but I also imagined sitting, etc would place an uneven amount of slack and strain on the front and back straps. It looks like the wraparound construction maintains a more even tension on all the straps. Would love to hear experienced insights into all that, as a side note.

Anyway, my favourite set here is the one in the second photograph, but I’m so curious how it would feel on – as jessa wonders, a high center gore does in fact bother me, but it may not be so irritating without cup fabric pulling the upper tip against my chest wall. What Janay is playing with here is the point of most strain, which is a sweet spot vertically on the bridge/gore somewhere between the apex and the bottom of the wire, where in theory a single thread (a strong one!) could still hold the bra together without the cups collapsing inward of outward. Honestly, I’m really curious to try this bra now, to see if the neckline edge being closer to the point of most strain would reduce my discomfort in wearing high center wires. I also love the shape of that darted shoulder plunge cup, it works really well on me.

Overall, really fresh and innovative in an industry with silhouette constraints, and especially a sub-culture where it’s so easy and common to just remove fabric here and add a strap there – this is much more thought-out than that. And otherwise, the aesthetic is really nicely balanced between colours and materials. Definitely on my to-try list. Thanks for sharing!

• Laurie Laurie says:

Hi Sheryl, I agree that Janay’s innovative silhouettes are fresh and exciting. I’m not a garter belt wearer, either, but I am swooning for these. Not only do they look comfortable, I love how the straps really hug and emphasize the hips. Please do let us know if you try any of these pieces. Would love to hear your take on fit, especially in regards to the bras.

4. jessa says:

Love love love that pale pink set, although I wonder whether that raised gore would be uncomfortable. These silhouettes are beautiful.

• Laurie Laurie says:

Hi Jessa, so glad you enjoyed the post! I don’t believe the gore is cut higher, rather the edge of the cups is lower than the gore itself, creating a really interesting plunge cut. Let us know if you try this style; would love to hear your thoughts on fit!