Lust Objects: Von Follies by Dita von Teese 'Her Sexcellency' Dress
Tla Logo

Enter your email address for an exclusive lingerie guide and a sample chapter of
'In Intimate Detail'!

We promise to never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for the Perfect Lingerie Guide? Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail are Now Available!

Order Your Copy Today!

Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie are available now! Click here!

Lingerie Wishlist: Von Follies by Dita von Teese 'Her Sexcellency' Dress

Disclosure: This blog post contains an affiliate link.

dita_von_teese_her_sexcellency_dress

I don't talk about it often, but I have a bit of a thing for beautiful shapewear. There's this idea, in America at least, that shapewear is only for people who want to slim down (see the ubiquitous "the model doesn't need shapewear" comment whenever the subject comes up online), and an even worse notion that shapewear is a strictly utilitarian garment... that it should be beige, seamless, and, quite frankly, ugly. I happen to disagree with both of those sentiments. For me, shapewear is something to utilize when I want a smooth line under dresses or skirts, and my absolute favorite kind of shapewear is just as gorgeous as fine lingerie (after all, shapewear is a part of the lingerie world).

dita_von_teese_her_sexcellency_dress_2

I think that's why I like the Von Follies by Dita Von Teese 'Her Sexcellency' Dress so much. It's shapewear, yes, but it's also striking and elegant in a way my favorite kind of lingerie is. Were I little more daring, I'd probably wear this out as a dress, but I can see working perfectly layered under a slim black pencil skirt with backseam stockings and a sheer blouse (or no blouse at all, if you prefer). It's not a cheap item (which is why it's a lust object), but it's unique enough I'd consider paying the market price of $254.09 for it... especially since so many pieces from the Von Follies line are selling out). The only downside is that ASOS is carrying such a limited size range - only 32A thru 36C. Dita von Teese actually makes her lingerie in a far more extensive size range, but many retailers (ASOS included) aren't picking up those extended sizes, which is a shame, especially for a piece like this.

dita_von_teese_von_follies_slip

And while we're here, I'm also loving this VF by DvT Savoir Faire half sllp. I've gotten several inquiries about beautiful half slips in my inbox lately, and this one, sold through the Australian retailer Myer, is divine. Again, though, there's a downside, which is limited sizing (it's only sold in sizes 10,12, and 14 Australian), not to mention that I don't even know if Myer ships stateside. This slip retails for $114.95 AUD (approximately $104.60 USD), and is also available in a black/pale blue colorway.

It's probably pretty obvious by now that I'm really liking this season's Von Follies by Dita von Teese Lingerie. I just wish at least one retailer would pick up all the styles in all the sizes.

Cora Harrington

Founder and Editor in Chief of The Lingerie Addict. Author of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie. I believe lingerie is fashion too, and that everyone who wants it deserves gorgeous lingerie.

1. danielle says:

“I can see working perfectly layered under a slim black pencil skirt with backseam stockings and a sheer blouse ”

can you elaborate a little more about wearing full slips/shapewear under a skirt (as opposed to a dress)? I always thought your shapewear should be of a similar silhouette as to what you are wearing. I have a hard time finding half slips that A. I like and B. will stay up when wearing a pencil skirt + tights and I would be interested in wearing dress shapewear.

As an aside, I would love to get into wearing more shapewear/slips but they are always longer than….well….my dress or skirt haha do you know any place that has shorter lengths in slips? are they something I can hem?

2. Thursday says:

Having stumbled upon the new pieces in Myer here in Aus (I was making a beeline for my first Evollove knicker purchase), I was most disappointed myself at the quality of the fabrics on these new pieces – the price has gone up for this range, but the materials are still below par, to me. The laces felt scratchy and every detail felt cheap to my touch. By all guesses, this line seems to be very popular, but if you are used to items at this price point…just a word from first experience that you may not find it up to scratch.

The Evollove on the other hand…beautiful, soft and all round lovely!

• Lily says:

I did this exact thing the other day… Stumbled across a rack of new Dita designs in Myer, which I found hard not to be distracted by, but upon closer inspection the materials were not good. I didn’t see this exact shapewear, but very similar and the quality of the shaping mesh in comparison to my own WKD corselette I have at home… There was a very noticible difference, and THE PRICE! I was expecting it to retail at about $70 max, but was appalled to see the over $200 tag.

Needless to say, nothing was in my size range (around 30G). I don’t understand how piles upon piles of lingerie can be turned out in the 32A – 38D size range, yet in this case Dita surely doesn’t have a 32 back herself, she seems to be quite a petite woman. Urgh. Anyway… It’s just been one of those days… Maybe I will start my own blog….

3. MizLiz says:

I teared up after reading that beautiful piece is NOT available in plus size! “It’s quite radical to think that us Plus Size ladies WOULDN’T be a strong market for shape wear”, Said NO ONE Ever. *pouts*

• Cora says:

While I can’t say if this piece is available in plus sizes, I do know that Dita von Teese intended for there to be a much greater size range available in stores…it’s just that retailers aren’t picking up the extended sizes. I know she has the ability to make both plus sized and full bust pieces, but without the orders, they’re not appearing anywhere. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that either a retailer picks up the whole range (sizes and all) or maybe that Dita herself can offer an e-commerce solution through her site.

4. EtMoi says:

My problem is that anything I’ve bought that is pretty, doesn’t actually “shape.” It’s just another layer under my clothes. And if it’s pretty, it’s also usually not smooth: lace, buttons, ribbons, stocking hooks, etc. always show through. I guess if it’s a really body-con dress then a pair of basic spanx is the best option, but I’m still on the lookout for pretty pieces that do actually shape.
    And I must confess I do also tend to stick to “utilitarian” when I’m wearing slips under work dresses – they’re machine washable whereas the dress is not ;) But that half slip is oh so cute….