Tla Logo

Enter your email address for an exclusive lingerie guide and a sample chapter of
'In Intimate Detail'!

We promise to never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for the Perfect Lingerie Guide? Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail are Now Available!

Order Your Copy Today!

Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie are available now! Click here!

She Walks in Beauty: The Agent Provocateur Classics Collection

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.

agent_provocateur_new_classics_alina_basque

Agent Provocateur just reshot its core range, also known as its 'Classics Collection' and I really, really like it. It's a little more high fashion editorial and little less slick --- sexy, but in a different kind of way. One of the things I've noticed more and more lately is how my tastes are changing, and this is the style of photoshoot that resonates with me now.

However there's something I also really don't like, and that's Agent Provocateur's disinclination towards using models of color for their website photoshoots, which stay on the website indefinitely (as opposed to seasonal, editorial-style fashion campaigns). It's reached the point where it's getting conspicuous. AP is one of the most famous lingerie brands in the world, and their clientele is truly global. Why not use a model of color?

If I recall correctly (fellow lingerie addicts, help me out here), the last time AP used a black model was during their 2009 "Superheroines" campaign, and last year, the brand used a half-Chinese model, French actress Mylène Jampanoï (the first Asian model I remember) in that season's campaign. I know Victoria's Secret gets a lot of flack from lingerie people, and for a lot of good reasons, but they're also the only big lingerie brand consistently using non-white models. It's 2013, yet the lingerie industry has gotten less ethnically diverse, not more, in the past few years. That is not okay.

Fellow lingerie addicts, what do you think of AP's new photoshoot? And is this a brand you buy from often?

agent_provocateur_new_classics_alina_bra

agent_provocateur_new_classics_margot_bra_set

agent_provocateur_new_classics_mercy_corset

agent_provocateur_new_classics_pink_pajamas

Last Updated on

Article Tags :
Cora Harrington

Founder and Editor in Chief of The Lingerie Addict. Author of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie. I believe lingerie is fashion too, and that everyone who wants it deserves gorgeous lingerie.

1. Monica L says:

Love everything about these. <3

2. Estelle says:

The photos don’t kill me, but the lingerie is as beautiful as ever! I’ll always be gutted I missed out on the Fifi set in red but that white sure looks lovely :) (I have it in black but trying to steer clear of yet more black lingerie for a while!)

• Estelle says:

I also meant to say, some of these photos don’t actually show off the product as well as the previous photos did, which is a bit silly! All these side-on shots aren’t a good idea when there’s tons of detail at the front that’s not seen…

3. I’m not keen on these images at all. A weird mixture of utterly bland and uncomfortably sexual poses is not helped by the high fashion look of it all. I think I’m still disappointed that AP has lost its original ethos now and just seems so run of the mill with its imagery. I preferred it when they went out to shock, or told an unusual story with their images. I just don’t aspire to wear their brand any more.

As for the models used… why on earth didn’t they put the pale lingerie on darker skins? Aside from anything else, a contrasting background makes it much easier to see the details on lace. Their choice of models for this shoot is extremely disappointing indeed. Perhaps there should be an official TLA email campaign to contact retailers about this lack of diversity?

4. KathTea says:

I don’t buy from AP, mostly not by choice, I rarely superbly splurge on lingerie unless it’s corsetry. I think it’ll be nice if they could work with a more diverse range of models. Even here in Asian countries like Malaysia, Caucasian immigrants and Pan-Asian models are favoured :/

5. maria says:

These images are so clean, airy, ethereal and refined. The previous “Classics” pictures were just as soft but with a little bit of raunch. I would love to see Agent Provocateur use more models of color. They recently used a Brazilian model with darker skin (I mean, it’s still a step ahead for the fashion industry, no?) on the website. However, there are so few models of color signed by agencies who are marketed towards lingerie modeling especially print (fashion shows don’t really count) and really have the curvaceousness to pull it off. These big labels like AP only use agency models or well known actresses. It’s everyone’s fault: the lablel, the agencies, the models themselves (for not pushing themselves in the lingerie direction).

• maria says:

I forgot to add that it’s also the consumers’ fault. More people need to speak up if they want to see agencies scouting more models of color and grooming them into lingerie models. Write to the labels themselves!
      We, as consumers, seem to automatically expect and stereotype white, blond models as “sexy girls” and being able to pull of lingerie. That is why black and asian models are always sidelined to do edgier things or filler commercial jobs. The models of color who really could be doing high caliber lingerie aren’t getting pushed or taken seriously because they’re being told no one wants them in those edgier jobs.