Why Full Busted Women Are Buying Their Bras In Poland (and Why You Should Too)

Most full busted women can easily figure out the pounds to US dollars currency conversion, but it may surprise you that many of them can also estimate prices in Polish Zlotys without a calculator. It turns out there is a magical land where bra manufacturers are making bras in all shapes, sizes, and colors of the rainbow. Oh, and they come in 28 backs and in cup sizes A through N. Welcome to Poland, the new frontier of bra development.

Two companies have emerged as leaders, and are consequently relatively easy to buy from if you’re not lucky enough to live in Poland. Ewa Michalak specializes in plunge bras, nursing bras, and half cup bras in all colors of the rainbow. She also produces several swimwear sets per season. The other company is Kris Line, which is just now making inroads in the US market. Kris Line also has a large product range which produces bikinis, one piece swimsuits, and elegant loungewear in all cup sizes. They both produce a wide size range of high quality bras, but have very different styles.

I’m personally a huge fan of both companies, although if you’re trying them there are definitely some tips you should follow. In Ewa Michalak bras you should usually go up a band size from your true size, and plunge bras can run small. I usually go up one cup size. Different Ewa fans have radically different preferences, but I can’t stop buying her PL bras. These are deep plunges that work even in large cup sizes (they can be made up to an L), and have a gravity defying effect. Ewa has recently put out a new line of nursing bras that also go to an L, which is greatly needed in the large cup market.

All Ewa Michalak bras and swimwear can be purchased directly from her website, which makes it very easy to pick up her newest offerings. If you don’t see your size, you can email and they will make it for you. Bras cost around $45, and matching panties hover around $12. International buyers will have a fee added on top of shipping for extra Paypal processing fees as well.

In many cases your lingerie will be made specially for you, so long wait times can be the norm. I usually expect to wait two weeks plus international shipping time to get my latest order.

Kris Line bras run true in band size, but generally at least one cup size small. Order up a cup size from your regular size to be safe. While Ewa Michalak specializes in plunging necklines and rainbow colors, Kris Line bras are a little more classic and elegant. Colors tend to be in the jewel tone range, and their black and white basics range has me hooked. In general, they tend to be a higher cut with lots of lace, while still retaining their sex appeal. I’m dying to get my hands on one of their bikinis as well for the summer, which look supportive but seriously sexy.

At least in the larger cup sizes, Kris Line bras have five sets of hooks. I love this, as it allows you to adjust the band to your comfort level on a daily basis. Kris Line isn’t widely available outside Poland yet, although Brastop carries them up to an H cup. If you’re in the high end of large cup sizes, you can buy them within the US from Santa LaBellman of Labella Intimates in Florida. Kris Line bras cost around $80 for bras, and $25 for matching panties.

So which should you try if you’re new to Polish bras? Ewa Michalak emphasizes colors and prints, while Kris Line is higher cut (although not nearly as high cut most UK brands) and feels more classic. Ewa Michalak goes up to an L cup, while Kris Line makes an N cup and is planning to go up to O very soon. Either way, you can’t really go wrong.

The real question is this: if these two companies can produce this kind of range, why can’t others do the same?

Holly

Holly

The Full Figured Chest provides creative and elegant copywriting for the high end lingerie industry.

TwitterFacebook

1. 07/05/12 at 10:48

In total agreement! I really need to try Kris Line but haven’t figured out how to order from their website yet and can’t afford their price at the moment either. I really hope Brastop expands the size that they’re carrying, though, because that would be the easiest way for me to get my hands on some of them. ;)

I’ve found that in the smaller back sizes that the bands correlate well to my normal UK bra size but it seems that in the larger back sizes they run tight. I can’t seem to figure that one out?

• 07/05/12 at 10:49

Ops, I wasn’t very clear there. I was talking about Ewa Michalak bras in the last part of my post about the band sizes. :)

• 07/05/12 at 12:53

June,
        I think we should get together and lobby Brastop to get more Kris Line in higher cup sizes! I’ve asked several times on their Facebook page and gotten no response. They have one in my size currently, but it’s one of the two that I own. Maybe if enough people asked they’d look into it more?

• 07/05/12 at 16:42

Hi Holly, I think the Bigger Bras website offers Kris Line in the US but I’m not 100% sure. They call it “Kris” but it looks like the same brand and has the same size range as you mention. When I asked Bigger Bras about it on Twitter before they said it was the same line? http://www.biggerbras.com/brandsuper/category-bras-kris.shtml

• Clarisse
            09/05/12 at 10:01

Hi Sarah, what you linked looks like Kris Line to me, no doubt about it.

• 07/05/12 at 19:11

Would love to! I feel a blog post coming on. ;) I *might* be able to pull off a 30HH in them but I think I’d probably want to try both a 30HH and a 30J just to be on the safe size since I know they run small in the cups. Wish they’d have 28 bands on there too!

2. 07/05/12 at 12:05

It’s strange, so many people that I know in Poland complain about the selection of lingerie available – not necessarily in full bust ranges, but with the core sizes. It’s pretty encouraging to hear that Polish brands are making an impact overseas though!

• 07/05/12 at 12:55

That’s so interesting to hear, Karolina! I’ve always imagined Poland as bra paradise, but I guess no market is perfect. Going to a good lingerie store in Poland is now on my bucket list though.

• 07/05/12 at 13:04

I’ve yet to come across a good lingerie store in Poland, and I go there quite a lot :-/ The only ones I’ve really encountered are Triumph, Chantelle/Passionata, an independent one stocking Simone Perele, Aubade and Ambra, Lise Charmel and a La Perla in the posh bit of the old town. If you uncover anything then please share!

• 07/05/12 at 13:24

So where are all of these awesome brands sold in Poland then, or are they not?

• 07/05/12 at 13:29

I’ve actually never encountered the ones you mentioned in Poland – not in any of the major malls or shopping areas I’ve been to either way :-/

• Joanna
            08/05/12 at 11:44

Yes, they are. You just have to know, where to find them or know people who know them. I live in Tri-City and I regularly visit three good shops, but I think I know where are at least 3 more, that I have yet to visit. I certainly know of 5 shops that carry bras up to 80H, they are resonably easy to find.
            There are still problems with shops. First of all, they rarely have full size range. For example my three shops never had any Kris bra with a cup above H (and my fit would propably be 85I-85J). Secondly, they usually order only one piece in each size, so if I want to buy a bra in person, I have to visit the shop (or online shop) at least once a week, otherwise my size might already be sold out. Finally, most women in Poland are still in the dark regarding knowledge about their real sizes, so they just don’t know how to go about looking for better bras than Triumph.
            One brand, that you should also mention is Dalia. I love Dalia, because they have a few basic models, which they use to make all kinds of colorful bras. I *know* that my size is 80J, so whenever I see a bra with this size and signed “K24″ (whatever the name or colour), I know it will fit me perfectly and I can just buy it without fitting.
            If you want me, I can provide links to my three shops and Dalia.

• Sue
            16/05/12 at 12:46

For examplke in Poznan are about 3 shops with almost fullsize range; Avocado, Yoshi and one more, but I can’t remember name of it.
            I love Dalia also:) but my first polish love was Comexim.

But it’s true, bras of this producers are in deep underground, you won’t find it in mall’s or other big shopping centers:( You have to dig to them:/

• Agg
          08/05/12 at 15:53

Karolina, check this out: http://stanikowamapa.prv.pl/ – a map of lingerie stores in Poland which carry brands like Panache, Freya, Ewa Michalak, Dalia, Fauve, KrisLine etc. and where you can have your bra professionally fitted.

• 08/05/12 at 19:06

Thanks everyone, good to know there’s more than what I thought there was! I live in England so it’s not really a struggle for me to find bras but friends and family have always made it seem like choice was pretty limited!

3. 07/05/12 at 12:11

I love Ewa Michalak! You forgot what is (to me) the very best part- they will make bra bands in sizes 26 and 24, via special order! :-)

• 07/05/12 at 12:57

Ooh, I had forgotten about that Brittany! Have you had good luck with sizing on special orders from them? Are there any cup size restrictions in the smaller band sizes?

• 10/05/12 at 17:11

I have had good luck with the sizing. I tend to ask them for their suggestions- so on my last order I got the PL Malachit in a 26HH, but they advised me that the convertible PL Lilia ran a little big/stretchy in the band, so I should order 24J. I did, and everything fit perfectly.

As far as cup sizing goes, they will go up to the highest “sister size” of the biggest cup size they sell in that style. So their strapless was available up to a GG cup in a 30 band, an H cup in a 28 band, and an HH in a 26 band.

• Heather
          15/05/12 at 14:11

So, if I understand you correctly, if a bra is made in 30A, I should be able to get it in 28B or 26C. Does that sound right?

4. 07/05/12 at 14:11

Hi Holly!
    I think its great that this two companies can offer such a wonderful range for plus size bras and size range. as for your question at the bottom: i think the reason that not many brands are offering that kind of professional plus size bras and larger sizes is because its not always easy for many brands to make them.
    i worked as a designer for a few years in London for many commercial lingerie brands including Evans.co.uk plus size -they offer up to 44H cup and i remember that getting the right fit and support for larger sizes was a very lengthy process compare to smaller sizes.
    from a professional point of view, i know that plus size bras needs really high quality strong fabrics, strong wires, strong straps and wider elastics in order to achieve the level of comfort and support a customer would want ..and unfortunately brands need to make at least 3000 pcs per style in order to buy those fabric minimum for development..as this fabrics are only offered by big fabric suppliers who wont look at you unless you can buy allot.
    hope this makes sense! xo

• 07/05/12 at 19:31

Thanks for this perspective, Liya! I really appreciate it. I didn’t realize that the orders had to be quite so huge, but I do know that development of larger cup sizes can take a really long time. I don’t expect every company to do it, but you would think that companies that have the resources and knowledge (like Panache, Eveden, etc) could manage to expand their types and sizes of bras just a little. I’ve been told by lot of indie designers that finding wires that work for large cup bras is huge sticking point when they try to produce them.

Thanks for commenting!

• 08/05/12 at 2:08

Yes, totally agree Holly! companies like Eveden, Panache can definitely offer better range as they have all the resources to compare to small brands..which is a shame they don’t.
        i believe that eventually the market demand will dictate the variety, as the average woman cup size is increasing . :) and more specialty brands like the ones in Poland, will emerge every year!! so i think there is still much to look for plus size bras. xo

5. 07/05/12 at 15:10

This definitely doesn’t apply to me, but are N/O cups European sizes or UK sizes? Just curious :D

I haven’t bought from Ewa Michalak yet, but I’m super excited to!

• 07/05/12 at 19:34

You should definitely try them, Annie! As far as I know the cups are UK sizing. :-)

6. Priscilla
    07/05/12 at 17:16

My experiences with EM and Kris Line bras have been quite different. In my experience, EM bras have VERY stretchy bands. Go with your regular UK band size, or even go down one size. The exception is the plunges, which may be why the Holly thinks all EM bras are small-banded: according to EM’s assistant, the plunges are the only style with tight bands.

Kris Line bras do NOT run true to band size. I have purchased 4 Kris Line bras and listed them all on Bratabase. They run one to two band sizes small. Also I own H cup bras from Kris Line which have only 2 hooks in the back.

I think this review could have benefited from more research. That said, these are both nice bra lines (especially if you can’t find your size in UK brands) but they do not fit as this reviewer says they do.

• 07/05/12 at 22:50

Priscilla-
      I have not tried a Kris Line under a JJ cup, and I actually wear my same band size in Kris Line bras and Panache bras. I’m sorry that your experience was different! I know Ewa Michalak runs different in 34+ bands than in bands 30 and below, but I can’t speak to that as I’ve only worn one band size in them. I suspect the number of hooks changes at some point below a JJ cup in Kris Line as well. Do you know at what point that happens with the line? That’s good information for people to have.

Thanks for adding your point of view! I think it’s great for people of all sizes and shapes to chime in about fitting, as bra fitting is such a unique experience and everyone has such strong preferences.

7. 07/05/12 at 20:02

I’ve actually always heard that Krisline bras run 1-2 sizes small in the band (as in, they do follow the +4 rule)… have you heard/experienced this as well?

• 07/05/12 at 22:44

I think it depends on where you fall in terms of cup sizes, honestly. I am a 34JJ cup in my Kris Line bras, but I’m also a 34 in Panache. In most other brands I’m a 32. Once you get above a certain cup size (and I’m not sure where the cut off is) their bras have five hooks which gives you tons of space in the band if you need it. I suspect I would have been okay with a 32 if it had five hooks as well, so I don’t think it’s something to get really worked up about.

• Clarisse
        09/05/12 at 10:05

My experience is that Kris Line is actually very inconsistent in band sizes. I tried some Kris Line bras from Brastop and the band was really really tight. I tried other styles in a local store and the bands were relatively loose fitting.

8. 08/05/12 at 4:55

Hi Holly, thanks for mentioning our bras, we try our best to make them as good and comfortable as possible:) If you have any questions or need help (especially with sizes) don’t hesitate to contact us via email – biuro@krisline.com.pl:)

9. 09/05/12 at 4:07

I have heard about these two labels before, Ewa is very popular and I have seen the Kris Line ones on Brastop but haven’t bought any as yet.

10. Ruby
    09/05/12 at 10:41

It’s very interesting that you mention Ewa Michalak and Kris Line as two leaders, because in Polish lingerie addicts’ communities Ewa Michalak is way, way more popular than Kris Line. You can take a look at the chart of brands on one of the websites with bra reviews: http://balkonetka.pl/katalog/brand and see that EM bras have many more reviews. It seems that Polish women (at least those aware of their real size and proper bra-fitting rules), having more or less the same access to both of these brands, choose EM.

Oh, and if I were to list other Polish brands worth taking look at I wouldn’t say Kris Line, but rather Comexim and OnlyHer (that last one is for smaller sizes).

• 11/05/12 at 23:00

Thanks for the input, Ruby! I’ve never tried Comexim, as I’ve heard the fit is pretty hit or miss. I’ll definitely give it a shot based on your recommendation though!

11. Jillian
    10/05/12 at 1:43

Well I finally ordered some Ewa Michalak bras and I have to return them. I wish I had known that the plunge bra cups ran small; I ordered a 85KK in the onyks and toffik and I looked like I needed an actual full extra bra to hold in the excess flesh that escaped. I tried their bra calculator again and I apparently need a which they don’t make. I love the efforts for beauty and accessibility that EM has for larger cup sizes but I wish they went to an M/MM/N/O cup. It’s tough when you’re at the largest end of size scale and have nowhere to go to get bras.

Can someone explain how to order from the Krisline website? I tried to create my profile on their page and it continually told me to enter my ‘firm description’. What is that? And do they ship to USA residences or just businesses? I really would like to try a 85N.

• Jillian
      10/05/12 at 1:49

*I apparently need a 90MM. (stupid smartphone auto type!)

• 11/05/12 at 23:01

Jillian,
      If you click on the link in the article for Labella Intimates, they source and ship Kris Line within the US. To look at the website you have to be a business, I believe. Anyway, Santa is great and can help you with whatever you need. She got my size perfectly on the first try.

12. bleeb
    10/05/12 at 4:49

You forgot to tell the best part about Ewa Michalak: Their website sells “just” 65 (30) bands, but if you order through email they will make an 60 (28), or even an 55 (26) without additional costs!
    I love the brand, and must say especially their halfcup bra’s got me hooked, because they give more support I could have possibly dreamed of, and make my boobs look amazingly pretty!

13. bleeb
    10/05/12 at 5:02

I have never heard about a cup restriction when ordering a 55GG band size: but I guess it goes against EM philosophy. The brand will strive to design bra’s for any kind of cup-band size. I did read on a Polish review website the amount of seams can be different according to your cup size, and what kind of support it has to offer.

14. Linda
    13/05/12 at 8:22

Don’t forget http://www.comexim.pl/
    Also a polish company with stunning bras. My first order is on it’s way (just wish their website was also in English but google translate fixed it for me)

15. 14/05/12 at 4:26

I have never seen N cup Kris Line bras. Which styles are available in cups larger than a K? (Unless you meant American N cups?)
    Ewa Michalak PL bras are actually available up to a LL.

16. 30/08/12 at 4:47

Exciting read! I am so glad you posted this for our delight!!

17. Hanna
    14/03/13 at 15:13

Ewa Michalak is great! It’s my perfect support. Never tried Kris Line, though, thank you for this review, their bras look very interesting too.
    And you’re right about zloty exchange rate)))

18. 27/06/13 at 3:48

Your final paragraph, “If these two companies can produce this kind of range, why can’t others do the same?” sums it up for me. There are many well known bra manufacturers who have simply let these two Polish companies come up on the inside rail and overtake them. Why on earth is that? We read many statistics to tell us that bust sizes are getting larger so it hardly takes a genius to work out that it would be smart to increase the range of sizes.
    In the highly competitive world of retail everyone is looking for a new market. Why did these traditional companies fail to see what was under their noses? I am still baffled by this but like big boobed women everywhere, can only welcome the introduction of more choice.

19. Rhonda
    03/11/13 at 22:01

Ladies, ZULILY.com has Kris Lane bras today at an ave. price of $35.00′ can’t wait to try them! Nov. 3, jump on it because things don’t last long on Zulily.com

20. 24/07/14 at 18:15

I own a Bra Boutique and would love to get Kris bras in my store! Most of my customers want “Pretty” bras and when they are H and up cups its hard to find good quality bras. How does one go about finding contact info for Kri Line bras??? Would that Santa gal know? Any info is greatly appreciated!