How to Choose Lingerie for Your Boudoir Photoshoot
This article is sponsored by Yandy.com.
Whether you’re a die-hard addict or a lingerie novice, a boudoir photoshoot is the perfect way to express your love of lingerie and pretend to be a lingerie model for a day.
I often get questions from readers who wonder how to buy lingerie for their first boudoir shoot, and while I don’t believe in lingerie rules (wear whatever you want – who cares what the experts say), I have learned a few things from putting together my own lingerie looks over the last few years. Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you’re shopping for that perfect boudoir ensemble:
- First, take a look at your closet and find the outfits that make you feel the most confident now. What’s your favorite piece? Your favorite color? Does your aesthetic lean towards lots of lace and prints or are you more into sleek, matte black? Is your preference for a more fitted, body-hugging silhouette or do you prefer looser styles that drape and just barely skim the body? Remember: there are no wrong answers here. Finding lingerie that reflects your personal style is the best way to feel comfortable in front of the camera…and also the best way to make sure you keep wearing the things you bought for your shoot!
- To expand on the above, if you prefer looser fashions, like maxi dresses, look into chemises, gowns and babydolls for your boudoir shoot. If you’re into pinup style (think fit-and-flare or wiggle dresses), then retro-inspired lingerie, like a garter chemise, bustier, or girdle may be more your speed. Fans of the bodycon look may prefer a bodystocking, bodysuit, or teddy for their boudoir shoot. And if you’re into jeans and t-shirts, then take a look at loungewear-style pieces like rompers or pajama sets. There’s no one way to be sexy, and you don’t have to completely abandon who you are for the shoot – unless you want to, of course!
- Still not sure what you love or feeling like your personal style is a work in progress? Start with a reliable basic, like a robe. Robes are great multipurpose boudoir attire; not only can you use them to cover up between takes or while you’re getting your makeup done, they’re also excellent to pose in (and give you something to do with your hands if you’re feeling a bit nervous about how to move in front of the camera).
- While black is an always popular choice for lingerie, especially when it comes to “sexy” sets, don’t be afraid to experiment with other colors. Shades of blush, rose, ivory, and champagne are beautiful for a boudoir shoot, as are jewel tones like teal, ruby, amethyst, and sapphire. Brighter colors help you “pop” against the background, and are great for setting the mood.
- More than anything, remember that the world of lingerie is vast, and there’s never been more to choose from in terms of size, style, color, and price. Give yourself the freedom to experiment. Boudoir photoshoots are the perfect time to treat yourself to a few new items. Try something you’ve never tried before; it may just turn out to be your new favorite thing!
I’ve put together a list of some of my favorite boudoir options from Yandy.com’s lingerie selection below. Do you have any recommendations when it comes to choosing lingerie for a boudoir shoot? And what’s your favorite piece?