Tla Logo

Enter your email address for an exclusive lingerie guide and a sample chapter of
'In Intimate Detail'!

We promise to never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for the Perfect Lingerie Guide? Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail are Now Available!

Order Your Copy Today!

Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie are available now! Click here!

Lingerie of the Week: Trashy Diva 'Hepburn' Robe in Steel Magnolias

trashy diva hepburn robe

It is the height of summer in the Pacific Northwest, and, unlike the South (where I grew up), air conditioning is an uncommon luxury. While it may sound strange, it does make sense. Temperatures hardly ever hit the 90s here (though they definitely did last week for 4th of July), and it still gets chilly enough to wear a light sweater or jacket most evenings. In fact, I'm looking at the 10-day weather forecast now, and apart from today, there's nothing above 80. That said, 79 degrees is still plenty warm when you're in a west-facing apartment with only a few fans to keep you cool, which is why I'm spending most evenings in nothing but a robe.

HEPBURNROBEsteelmagnolias-side

Lately, I've taken to wearing my Trashy Diva Hepburn Robe everyday. I have the original Retro Turquoise Floral Print, and one of the reasons I love it is because it reminds of the dressing gowns (a.k.a. "dusters") I grew up watching my mother and aunts wear. They're not exactly the same, but the kitschy print, the utter disregard for modern minimalism, and the complete absence of anything that could be called "bondage-inspired," well... let's just say I'm here for all of it. I was a bit worried about wearing rayon this time of year (bamboo tends to be my favorite warm weather fabric), but the crepe de chine is incredibly light. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've worn this everyday for the last two weeks.

HEPBURNROBEsteelmagnolias-back

Predictably, the success of my first Hepburn robe has me thinking about a second, and lately I've been stalking the new print for this design, appropriately named 'Steel Magnolias.' It's not quite as cheeky as the Turquoise Floral, but that's okay. I've always thought there was something effortlessly elegant about gray lingerie, and the magnolias remind me of home. This is what I would wear on my front porch rocking chair (if I had one), glass of iced tea with lemon in hand and comfy slippers on my feet. The only thing left to decide? Do I buy the matching lounge pants or not?

Have you tried anything from Trashy Diva's lingerie collection? If so, what did you think of it?

Last Updated on

Article Tags : ,
Cora Harrington

Founder and Editor in Chief of The Lingerie Addict. Author of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie. I believe lingerie is fashion too, and that everyone who wants it deserves gorgeous lingerie.

1. SFYSSam says:

OH MY GOD. I love this robe so much. Yes to the matching pants. They are stunning! This collection is definitely going on my wish list!

2. Thursday says:

I have one of the dresses in the turquoise floral and it is a great summer dress – bright and flowy with the vintage details I love. I did buy myself the Flapper robe in red and black for my birthday, and it is gorgeous, but I won’t be able to wear it until the spring thaw. I did team it with a red pleated full length dress for the Australian Burlesque Festival last weekend and it was just the easy glamour I was looking for.

3. wendybien says:

This is gorgeous and, hmm, is it bad that I kinda want to wear it as a dress?
    You must have superhuman Southern heat-resistant powers if you can wear a robe in the Seattle area these days though. We are in a top floor heat trap that is even warmer than outdoors from 3pm to 8pm and my home attire is tank top and boyshorts. I can’t wait for it to cool down, this is not what I signed up for when I moved to the PNW! Urghhh!

• Cora Cora says:

I know it sounds super strange, but wearing a loose robe is way more cooler and comfier (I know that’s ‘bad’ grammar, but it reflects how I feel) than walking around in the house in the shorts and tanks. I’m not wearing anything under the robe, so that probably helps, but I am definitely Team Robe When It’s Hot Outside right now.

• wendybien says:

I’ve tried–I have a very loose nightie with less coverage than this and I just can’t tolerate it! I don’t know what is wrong with me.

4. Sweets says:

YES TO THE MATCHING LOUNGE PANTS! Also I saw this print in person last night and it is so. very. good.

5. Lindsay says:

I’d love to know if you have any suggestions on where to find a summer robe specifically for men. Please help me before my husband buys something all polyester, one-size-fits-all off of Amazon. He could do so much better!

• Cora Cora says:

Hmmm…men’s loungewear really isn’t our specialty. I’m afraid I won’t be anymore help than suggesting a search at a higher-end department store like Nordstrom or Bloomingdale’s. Etsy might be another place to look, especially if there are special sizing needs to consider.