How to Keep Your Thigh High Stockings from Falling Down
Tla Logo

Enter your email address for an exclusive lingerie guide and a sample chapter of
'In Intimate Detail'!

We promise to never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for the Perfect Lingerie Guide? Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail are Now Available!

Order Your Copy Today!

Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie are available now! Click here!

How to Keep Your Thigh High Stockings from Falling Down

Before I begin, I have to tell you I'm blogging from the sky right now. Ain't technology grand? :-)

Yesterday, I had my last date with Newboy until I return from visiting home next week. I wore one of my favorite pairs of thigh high stockings, the Victoria's Secret "Sexy Satin Kittens," which I reviewed here.

Sadly, I had to remove my stocking a few hours into the night because they wouldn't stay up. However, this "wardrobe malfunction" was no fault of the hosiery; I failed to prepare adequately. So, without further ado, here are my three tips for keeping your stockings high.

1) Wipe the silicone bands inside the welt with a damp cloth after wearing. Cleaning the bands removes sweat, body oils, skin flakes and other assorted detritus that keeps the silicon from adhering to flesh. Even if you regularly wash your stockings after every wear anyway, I'd still recommend paying a little extra attention to the welt.

2) Don't wear body lotions, oils, or perfumes on your legs if you intend to wear thigh highs. The emollients in your moisturizing products keep the silicone from clinging to your skin. Since I have a custom of slathering on lotion immediately after getting out of the shower, I completely forgot about this last night and wound up paying the price later.

3) If you've already applied lotion, or if your stockings simply won't stay up no matter what, you can try putting a very small amount of talcum powder between the welt and your legs. The powder not only dries your skin, but gives the welt a little something extra to cling to. This is only a short term fix, however, as eventually the powder will wear away, and then you may be left exactly where you started from.

If you have tricks or tips you'd like to share, please feel free to post them in the comments section!

Cora Harrington

Founder and Editor in Chief of The Lingerie Addict. Author of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie. I believe lingerie is fashion too, and that everyone who wants it deserves gorgeous lingerie.

1. angie says:

Thigh highs ALMOST stay up, but not quite. With my thigh highs, I wear a deep 4 strap garterbelt with with wide straps, good metal clasps, and the rear straps well to the outside of my thighs (just the opposite for garter stockings). I remove the front straps, and fasten the side straps to the welt in my thighs without difficulty. They stay up very nicely.

• Lisa says:

Angie, What brand of 4 strap garter do u buy, please? And, per ur description, u only use one single strap per belt, and that is in the rear and outside… (?) That keeps the thigh high up? Thanks. :-)

(I don’t care about garters one way or another, but thigh highs are FAR more comfortable than panty hose or tights, to me, but always fall off after a couple of hours. Lotion or no lotion…)

2. george says:

I bought some of the thigh highs to see if they keep my legs warm during winter. They do keep them warm but they don’t stay up with the dry skin.

3. Dwain_Wilder says:

I find that I can give my stockings’ adhesive a little oomph by dampening my legs slightly, right under where the lacy adhesive section sits. Works wonders for a few hours at least. Never had to test how long the trick lasts.

4. Oh says:

My preferred method is the garter belt… sexy and practical!

• Cora says:

Oh, but it’s not a good idea to wear a garter belt with thigh highs! The welt on thigh highs (i.e. stay-ups) is too thick and may warp or even break your garter grip. If you want to wear a garter belt, it’s better to wear stockings instead of thigh highs.

5. Petra Bellejambes says:

This is superb advice, really Treacle. I have always shied away from stay-ups simply because they don't.

I will apply your new rules, and share the news when I have some.

You are a star…thanks – Petra

(btw, Addict Classic posts on Twit and perhaps in your newsletter, great, GREAT idea…)

6. Treacle says:

@ Johanna,

Thank you so much for that tip! It makes perfect sense, and I feel a bit embarrassed for not having thought of it myself. :-)

7. Janus says:

I wish I could be at DragonCon myself. Unfortunately, that isn't in the cards this year. I'm hoping to make DragonCon or Reconstruction (NASFIC in Raleigh) next year. Maybe even both.

8. Anonymous says:

Exfoliate! Use a *very light* lotion if you need it. If your skin is too dry all those trillions of dead skin cells will slough off into the silicone bands, and down fall the stay-ups. I have the most trouble with this in winter.

-Johanna

9. Treacle says:

I'll be there starting Friday.

10. Janus says:

On your way to DragonCon?