A Very Special Announcement…I Have a Book Deal!

Credit: Nomi Ellenson

I almost don’t know how to start this announcement, so I guess I’ll just jump right into it. I’ve recently signed a contract with Ten Speed Press and am currently working on a book all about lingerie, to be in a bookstore somewhere near you in 2018!

I’ve been waiting to make this announcement for a little while, not just because I was so excited about sharing the news (oh my gosh…a book!), but also because I just really, really, really wanted to thank all of you, my readers. A book deal isn’t something that would have ever been possible without you and your support for the last nine years, and I am just so completely stoked – giddy even – about putting together a lingerie book that will make you proud and be useful and hopefully have a place in your life for years to come.

There isn’t much more I can say right now, other than that I’m planning some truly fantastic things for TLA readers (and also that I’ll be just a bit slow answering emails for the next few months). However, if you have the time, I’d love it if you shared one or two things you most want to see from this book in the comments. I want it to be a book for you. I want you to be able to pick it up off the shelf and know there’s something in it that applies to you and your life and why you wear lingerie.

It’s late where I live, so I should probably go to bed now. But I just want to say again, if you’ve ever read an article, left a comment, shared The Lingerie Addict with a friend, or just liked one of our posts on Facebook, thank you. I can’t wait to tell you more with you in the next few weeks and months. Amazing things are coming.

With love and affection,

Mad Mimi Form

Article Tags :
Cora Harrington

1. Kaitlin Nash says:

Congrats!

I have been following your blog for about three years now, which is actually the number of years I have been in school studying intimate apparel design! Your posts have always been a great resource to make me a more grounded designer when it comes to things I should be aware of, like size, trans, and disabled inclusion. It would be great to see a section for aspiring designers about the steps needed to take upon selecting a course (or location) of study and how to break though the industry upon graduation. I know I and the many students I have recommended you to would appreciate it!

• Cora says:

Hi Kaitlin!

I’m so glad you like the blog and that it’s been useful.

Unfortunately, a section for students isn’t likely to make it into the book. It’s very much a consumer-oriented guide to lingerie, not an industry-focused one, but I do think there are a couple of books out there about how to make it as a lingerie and/or fashion designer.

Thanks again for stopping by!

2. laurie says:

Brilliant news on the book. Look forward to reading it.

3. Wanda Robinson says:

I am so happy for you! This is as exciting as when you posted that you were able to make this blog your full-time work. I am just thankful that I am getting to see someone create a career from a passion. Your genuine love of and appreciation of lingerie is what makes you and your platform so special.

4. Gary says:

Way to go, Cora! Congratulations!

5. Ardis says:

Congratulations! I look forward to reading it being a Black woman who adores lingerie as well :D

6. Ardis says:

Congratulations! I look forward to reading it — being a Black woman who adores lingerie as well :D

7. Johnny says:

What wonderful news Cora!,
    I too look forward to seeing your book. As a 50 something married man, and having grown up with sisters, I have always marveled at what is now “vintage” lingerie. From the beautiful foundations to the elegant evening wear.
    So many of your posts have brought to light many current recreations of past styles. I’m sure I’m echoing many other posts, but I for one would like to see a wonderful history on the elegant styles and soft & supple fabrics that once ruled the day, or night.
    Allow me to offer my congratulations on this new and exciting adventure! You have such a way with your words and I simply appreciate your all-inclusive sentiment for all shapes, sizes, and tastes.
    Cheers,
    JB

8. Lo says:

I’d love to see a section on indie designers influence on mass market in the age of the internet and how the industry has changed in recent years.

• Cora says:

I’m definitely hoping to touch a bit on design on design and how trends start, but I’ll see have to see how much room there is after the other sections. :-)

Thanks for stopping by,

9. Julia says:

I’d love to see a section on unusual, and possibly no longer used, designs and construction in regards to lingerie. Things like cathedral bras, fan laced girdles and corsets and those sorts of things. I see a lot about modern construction but much less about historical construction and design methods that are no longer in use or very niche and less mainstream.

• Cora says:

Hi Julia!

I think the book is going to be a little more general than that. Historical design and construction isn’t really TLA’s forte, and this book is intended to be for more a generalist (as opposed to a specialist) audience. But The Underpinnings Museum might be a good resource for you to check out. :-)

–Cora

10. F says:

Yay Cora!

I’m so happy for your book deal, and I think now would be as good a time as any to say: thank you. I’m a teenage girl who really loves the fashion of lingerie and this blog has been such a wonderful resource for me to learn more in a positive and intersectional place. Your articles, and those of your lovely writing staff, have inspired me and led me to have new experiences– from going to a lingerie atelier in Paris to looking in a mirror and liking my reflection. I can’t wait for more people to be touched by your voice and knowledge.

F

11. Congratulations! I cannot wait to pre-order this book. Whatever direction you choose, I know I’m going to be intrigued and challenged. My top requests for content would be:
    -Forays into lingerie from a social/cultural angle (I always love the articles from this viewpoint)
    -Some writing about sports bras, nursing bras and mastectomy bras (I find many lingerie books tend to focus on the more traditionally glam side of lingerie)
    -Advice about how to buy a bra for those shopping online, shopping at a boutique or shopping at a big box store (ex things like what to expect from a bra fitting, tips on buying online without trying on, red flags, etc)
    Sorry for the overflow of text – I am unbelievably excited!

-Sam

12. Thursday says:

How exciting! I’m so happy to hear this news, Cora. I am sure whatever direction you choose, it will be a unique and genuine take on lingerie, as that is what I have always come to expect from you. Personally, I love it when you explore the social and cultural aspects of lingerie, so I’d look forward to more of that.

13. Krystle says:

Congratulations, Cora!!! I think everyone would love to hear your personal journey with lingerie, and the incredible knowledge you’ve gained along the way.

14. Din Clarke says:

Congratulations! I can’t wait to see it! Please let us know when it’s available for pre-order.

15. Emma says:

Congratulations, Cora! What an exciting project. Lingerie trends through the times, construction, and glossary of lingerie items would all be things I’d love to read about.

Whatever it turns out to be about, I am very excited to see and read your book! Good luck and have fun with it!

16. Trish says:

I’d love to see something about bra fit in relation to breast shape and anything about lace.

17. Esther says:

Congratulations! I’m really excited for this book and although I don’t exactly know what it’s going to be like, I think it could be great to have interviews of either industry insiders or ordinary women on their experience with lingerie. I’ve always found the personal and social aspects of clothing very interesting, and lingerie is no exception to that.

• Cora says:

Hi Esther! There likely won’t be time to interview other people for this book. That tends to be a super time-intensive process, not just in collecting the interviews, but also in getting all the appropriate permissions. But I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and that sounds like a great idea for a future project. :-)

18. Lee Rivers says:

Congratulations! I’m looking forward to it!

19. Karen says:

You’ve earned this success. I am SO happy for you. :D

As to the book, I don’t know how you plan to approach your subject, but if you want it to be educational in nature, I don’t think it is possible to say too much about bras–what they do and don’t do, when to wear and not to wear, how to really understand fit, and how to diagnose what your individual body actually needs. I for one almost never feel 100% positively about the bras I wear, and I’ve had this body in various forms for almost 56 years! Understanding more about what I can really get from a bra would be awesome.

Can’t wait to get my own copy!@ :)

• Cora says:

Hi Karen!

There will definitely be a section on bras. It won’t be a book entirely about bra fit, but I hope to hit the major points. :-)

–Cora

20. KD says:

Congratulations. I hope you can come to FIT in NYC to speak when it gets released. Looking forward to buying it.

21. Robin says:

Congrats, Cora. Aren’t you glad that your real name (vs pen name) IS global and providing a fabulous community =) I’d love to see your book be about the process of how this “addiction” =) matures over time- emotional, body image, shopping, wear for others, wearing for self. What was it “about” when you started? and what is it about now? I feel like I have been on a parallel continuum with you over the last decade… learning the industry (indi designed vs large corp, retail issues, tech/media viewpoint) and learning about myself. I started wearing & collecting to make myself feel better about a petite body– I’m not “cured” of feeling different, but I’m learning to like parts of myself. THAT is why I refer to it as a continuum. A passion that changes with you. I would not have guessed that years ago. If I had realized it was a passion, I would have gone much slower in acquiring & spending money!! We all make shopping mistakes (things we like but never seem to wear), but the process is now globalized and can shop anywhere. I wish someone had lead me to make mood boards and do more comparisons of quality before buying. Life is always “live & learn” but a journey like yours will help people to identify similar paths of discovery (whether lingerie or not). Having a book about journey (self discovery+ career) would be timeless- long after how to buy hotpants, bralettes or animal print is passe.

Your journey- hitting stride with globalized digital commerce & social community- is an inspiration for lingerie loving people and for passion turned career. Best of luck. Enjoy writing the book.

• Cora says:

Ha! Yes, you’re right. Going along with my real name was the right choice. ;-)

I love what you said here about the journey. Thanks for sharing.

22. Leslie says:

Congratulations on the deal! To be honest I’ve been waiting for this ever since you first started the blog. As far as content goes, I think – if it’s within the scope – that this is a great opportunity to have a section dedicated to fit, of course, with my thinking being that this could be an indispensable book to give to those being fitted for their first bra. I second the indexing, as well! Can’t wait to read it!

23. Victoria Lane says:

If the book could have some sort of glossary with photos, or definitions of various lingerie words, sometimes I don’t know what is what when I’m reading about it.
    Also, maybe a “how to” guide for cleaning/washing lingerie based on materials? some of us are novices at this whole thing. SO excited about your book! I can’t wait to buy a copy!

24. Angela Friedman says:

Wow, this is a huge deal!!! I’m so excited, both for you and for the book that results! I know it’s going to be a winner. 🤗🤗🤗 You probably already know what my request for the book would be… Lingerie history and manufacturing! People are so terribly misinformed or uninformed about where their clothes come from historically and how they’re made now. You’ve done a lot to highlight these things on your blog, and I would love to see some of that content in book form too! But mostly… Congrats!!

25. Lindsay says:

So exciting!! Congratulations on this very exciting new project! Already looking forward to getting my hands on a copy.

26. Leanna says:

This is so exciting! Huge congratulations, and so very well deserved after all of your so many years of creating incredible content and community. Can’t wait to read it!

27. congratulations cora , very exciting . ook forward to the release- sure it will be interesting ;-)

28. Estelle says:

Ooo exciting, and congratulations! Would love to read more about the major trends and changes in contemporary-era lingerie, since most books I’ve read focussed on older stuff. Can’t wait to buy a copy :)

29. LaMesha says:

So happy for you! I am for sure going to buy it because I already know it’s going to be AWESOME. I think something really innovative would be to include a few lacy nursing bras. Nursing bras aren’t always the cutest but they’ve come a long way.

30. Madeline says:

Congratulations! How exciting! As for myself, I would love to see a section that perhaps goes into garment details- types of stitches, fabrics, laces, constructions and their uses. I know that as for myself, I’ve come to appreciate my lingerie more as I understand the distinct features in each piece and the effort that goes into making something so beautiful. A “history of lingerie” section would also be interesting to read about and see, or perhaps a section debunking lingerie myths. Either way, I can’t wait to read it!

• Cora says:

I don’t know how detailed regarding construction I’ll be able to get it, but I’ll see what I can include. History of lingerie and lingerie myths are both great ideas, though. :-)