Farewell to Mary Green Lingerie

Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links.

Image via Dollhouse Bettie

Image via Dollhouse Bettie

With almost no fanfare and very little warning, Mary Green Lingerie closed up shop last month. Their website is gone. Their Facebook page abandoned. And who even knows if they ever signed up for Twitter, Pinterest, or Tumblr?

Mary Green was a label I bought from infrequently, yet one I have fond memories of. When I first started blogging, I purchased a pair of crepe black silk panties with metallic lace trim from them. Though they’re several years old now, they’re in excellent condition, and I see them as one of my first luxury purchases.

As a brand, Mary Green was best known for its vintage-inspired silk loungewear and nightwear. Eyemasks, robes, chemises, and teddies were among their most popular offerings, and I confess that I’ve been lusting after their sheer, black, silk nightgown for years.

Image via Anthropologie

Image via Anthropologie

While I’m sorry the brand is gone (it’s always sad when a classic label goes defunct), I have to admit I’m not surprised. Mary Green seemed to be a brand that was unable to keep up with the times. Their website hadn’t been updated for at least five years (right down to the fluorescent pink splash page), and their social media presence was spotty at best. Despite a feature in April 2014’s Glamour Magazine (US), I rarely saw the brand engage in any substantive marketing or PR campaigns (which was a shame because their products were timeless). Instead, like many “old school” lingerie companies, Mary Green seemed to coast on their popularity from the 1990s and 2000s.

Though one of Mary Green’s former sales reps told Body Magazine that the company is headed in a new direction, there’s no word about what that direction is. Only time will tell if Mary Green makes a comeback (à la Farr West) or if they disappear into the aether (like Lady Marlene, Wundervoll, and Cameo Intimates before them).

Image via Nasty Gal

Image via Nasty Gal

For now, you can still purchase Mary Green Lingerie from Trashy Diva, Dollhouse Bettie, HerRoom, Brabarella, Journelle, Free People, Forty Winks, Linda’s, Anthropologie, Nasty Gal, and Amazon. I’d hurry and pick up anything you’re really interested in though… these pieces are bound to sell out soon.

Have you ever owned anything by Mary Green? And if so, what did you think of it?

Article Tags :
Cora Harrington

1. Kelly says:

I came across a silk burnout short robe at La De Da Lingerie in Webster, Tx and it started an immediate and ongoing obsession with Mary Green. I started to visit their web page just now and I was sad to see that there is no more Mary Green. I have always wanted days of the week silk boy shorts (which were only available for a window of a few months before they were no longer offered). Mostly the items that peaked my interest came with price tags I didn’t want showing up on my bank statement, but I did buy a brown silk burnout short robe with matching silk trim boy shorts. Even the large or extra large size was clearly referring to an extra large French fashion model. The garments fit me best on skinny days, and they are only appropriate for a certain kind of company.

2. SOS says:

i need to find mary green panties!!!

3. julieD says:

Has anyone found a replacement for the silk knit boy short? I’m at a loss! It’s the only underwear I ever wear – I can’t believe she closed! ;(

4. Aimee says:

I can’t live without the silk knit boy shorts! Please post if you find anyone selling them or the nylon knit boy shorts anywhere anytime!!!

5. sherry says:

I only just found out today about Mary Green closing. The silk boy shorts were my favorite underwear. The only that I really ever wanted to wear. I’m so sad I didn’t stock up! I had no idea. I hope that the sales rep is correct. Seems strange that there would not be some kind of selling off of the company. But maybe she couldn’t find anyone she was happy with to take over.

6. Molly says:

Their silk knit boy shorts were my favorite panties ever, in spite of how delicate they are. If anybody finds a similar kind of silk panties, please please please pass on the knowledge.

7. Loreen says:

I am in love with the Hollywood look of the 30’s so Mary Green’s line struck a cord with me. Reluctant to buy because it seemed to frivolous, but hearing they closed shop got me off the fence. Quickly bought the teddy in two colors, the bralettes (perfect for a small breasted gal like me), and retro panties. Would have loved the night gown. Hopefully they come back or a new brand will fill the void for silk retro lingerie.

8. Catherine Alizzi says:

I have a watermelon hue silk knit camisole with lace trim by Mary Green that I bought from Modcloth – I love it, it feels so luxurious to wear and is very well made. I’m very sad that Mary Green Lingerie has closed its doors, I would have liked to buy a few more pieces.

9. Ellen says:

Looks like their website is back up! I can access all products and add them to a cart.

10. Annmarie says:

I’m sad to see another great brand going away, unable to keep up with the changing marketing and retail trends. I own two Mary Green chemises as well as an amazingly comfortable silk brief, and all of them are still going strong.
    That said, I have an issue with this brand as well as Farr West for using plastic hardware, as I found this to be inconsistent with their otherwise high quality products.

11. Marty says:

We were sad to see them go. You mentioned some of the problems but I think there were likely other factors as well. The cost of silk steadily increased along with increased labor costs in China. This likely led to the significant price increases in her products. Also, From what I’ve heard about Mary, she is not one to compromise on quality as many other struggling companies have had to do in order to stay afloat. In regards to social media, related to that was their lack of modeled images for vendors and for their own site. Most of their products were photographed on mannequins and didn’t present well on the web. Finally, there seems to be much more competition in the lingerie/sleepwear business, companies that focus as much or more on online sales as they do brick ‘n mortar.

12. Mya says:

*through Amazon…

13. Mya says:

Be careful about Amazon purchases though! One of my co-workers purchased a Mary Green robe though Amazon, because we’d sold out and she loved it so, only to find out once it arrived that it was a fake / knock off. She wasn’t sure but, thankfully, my boss and I know Mary Green’s work well enough to confirm that she should return it.