Tla Logo

Enter your email address for an exclusive lingerie guide and a sample chapter of
'In Intimate Detail'!

We promise to never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for the Perfect Lingerie Guide? Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail are Now Available!

Order Your Copy Today!

Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie are available now! Click here!

Else Lingerie Spring/Summer 2014

else-lingerie-7

We've featured Else Lingerie a time or two on the blog before. Unlike many of the labels we share, I wouldn't call Else Lingerie an especially cutting edge or avant-garde brand. If anything, they've gotten more commercial over the last couple of years (check out this chevron set and this chevron set to see why I fell in love with them several seasons ago). However, they are remarkably consistent, and their aesthetic fits in well at high-end, yet still mainstream, stores like Neiman Marcus and Anthropologie (i.e. places looking for something a little bit different from the norm, but still marketable to the average American --- read: conservative --- woman).

That said, I do wish Else Lingerie were taking more risks now and exhibiting some of the playfulness and artistry I saw in their first few seasons. But I also understand the pressure of the market and the need to create a line that sells (as opposed to only moving when on sale). As several of my lingerie industry friends have pointed out to me, what I'm attracted to as a lingerie blogger (and someone who's immersed in the subject everyday) is not necessarily the same as what the average woman is looking for. I want new, exciting, and interesting but many, many women want safe and simple... and a brand like Else is about as modern and inspired as they're going to get. That's not so much a criticism of the collection as it is a rueful commentary on how lingerie is often perceived in society.

In summary, there's nothing wrong with Else Lingerie. In fact, they're doing a lot right. If this were my first exposure to the brand, I'm sure I'd be smitten. It's just hard not to feel like something's getting lost with each subsequent season here. And though I understand why, I can't help but miss their more adventurous past.

What do you think of Else Lingerie? Are there any looks you like? And do you have any thoughts on the balance of a designer's vision with the practicality of what sells?

else-lingerie-1

else-lingerie-14

else-lingerie-15

else-lingerie-16

Last Updated on

Article Tags :
Cora Harrington

Founder and Editor in Chief of The Lingerie Addict. Author of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie. I believe lingerie is fashion too, and that everyone who wants it deserves gorgeous lingerie.

1. Jenny says:

Thank you for introducing me to Else Lingerie. They have gorgeous sleepwear. I wish their bra sizing was different. Why do they only start with B cups? There are petite framed women out there who won’t be able to wear their lingerie because of it.

2. Lily Twigg says:

I love love LOVED the chevron set! Bring it back :'(
    The closest I like out of these would be the strapless black bra girdle, but that’s reaching. The pieces are nice but nothing that really pops, you know?

• Cora Cora says:

I feel the same way about the Chevron set! Now I wish I’d gotten it. It came out when I was still pretty new to lingerie.

And I agree with you…pretty pieces, definitely marketable/sellable, just not as creative as I would like. Which is fine since that has a place too.

3. Krista says:

Did you see the bodysuit at market? That may be for fall. Was one of my favorites. I went back the second day to get a photo after seeing it in the look book. In my opinion was more on the edgy side of the collection. My favorite here is the long line.

4. Jessica says:

Lingerie Addict,
    I love your website. I love the fact that you try to be as inclusive as you can within a very non-inclusive industry. But I’m going to have to un-Pinterest you. I’m so tired of seeing beautiful lingerie that doesn’t even come close to my size. It’s breaking my heart.
    Thank you for doing your best.
    Love Jessica.

5. Laura Brasinha says:

I adore this! I know, I know… not really new: but they do classic very very VERY well! That blue from the firt two pictures is making me crave new lingerie… grrrr

6. Rachel says:

I enjoy looking at pictures of collections to see how different designers interpret the possibilities of something as basic as a nightgown or chemise or whatnot. I love innovation for the sake of innovation itself. But when I look for lingerie to put on my actual body, I want Else. I want the entire line of Else. Except for the first and last picture, those are much too staid for me.

7. Thursday says:

Whilst I agree that what I am seeing here is not innovative in shape or line, these pieces are very attractive to me. I think you’re right, in that the target consumer is a conservative woman looking for a little something nice, but I actually find it refreshing to see such a style executed with these lovely textures, colours and details. The laces used are particuarly delightful to me. I definitely still have a place in my lingerie drawer for classic, well executed pieces in lovely colours.