Spotlight On: Previously Garters | The Lingerie Addict: Intimates & Lingerie Magazine
Tla Logo

Enter your email address for an exclusive lingerie guide and a sample chapter of
'In Intimate Detail'!

We promise to never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for the Perfect Lingerie Guide? Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail are Now Available!

Order Your Copy Today!

Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie are available now! Click here!

Spotlight On: Previously Garters

I know garters are a little old-fashioned, but they've been on my mind a LOT lately. And these beautiful garters from Previously, while not my pick for the big day, make me want to incorporate this old-fashioned item of my lingerie into my wardrobe more often. I especially adore the ones with the dangling pink rosettes above and below. After all, vintage is always in style, yes?

What do you think of Previously? And have you ever incorporated garters into your everyday wardrobe?

Cora Harrington

Founder and Editor in Chief of The Lingerie Addict. Author of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie. I believe lingerie is fashion too, and that everyone who wants it deserves gorgeous lingerie.

1. Stephanie says:

Oh, I’m so glad you’ve discovered Previously! Elide is a doll and her garters are even more stunning in person, if possible! I’ve worn garters decoratively just above an old-fashion boot, especially with a lacy or layered skirt w/ slips in cream or pastels, I think it makes for a lovely lingerie inspired look! [I wish I could find a photo, I don’t know how good I am at describing!] <3

2. Anneli says:

I find them very pretty, but I think it’s really hard to get any opportunity to actually wear them. They look ridiculous paired with pantyhose, I don’t trust stay-ups, and it feels slightly too provocative to wear them around the thigh with stockings and a garter belt for everyday use.

Thank you Elide for the link though! I’d never heard of roll garters before, but the silk ones makes so much more sense now! I’m thinking about the possibilities to combine silk garters with knee high stockings, or try to get a pair of roll garters (if I could find any). Feels like a nice, vintage experiment.

3. Elide says:

Hello, thank you for all of your kind words! And thank you Cora for highlighting my garters on your blog, one of my favorite reads!
    As for the question of whether or not the garters will keep your stockings up, I did some research on this topic a while ago and wrote all about it in a guest blog post you can find here: http://16sparrows.typepad.com/16sparrows/2010/08/everyday-vintage-life-garters-part-2.html
    The short answer is- not on their own, and I don’t believe they were the only thing women used to hold up their stockings in the 1920s. I think they used a combination of roll garters (they looked like a large elastic, like the kind we use in our hair today) above the more decorative silk garters.

4. I like that they sell them in pairs. I hate that, “give us a million pounds, we’ll send you one garter” rubbish.

5. phylisanne says:

all my girdles are open bottom girdles and they all have six garters and since i wear vintage nylons i love my garters.

6. anon says:

Do they work? Do they actually hold up your stockings?

7. Maggie says:

I’ve been making a lot of garters lately (for weddings) but I haven’t really thought of them as something that I could incorporate into my everyday wear. But you know what? Why not! They’re cute, flirty and fun!
    ~Maggie

8. Gorgeous! I had never seen these garters before but they are some of my favorites.

9. Breanna says:

I haven’t yet incorporated garters into my everyday wardrobe, but I’ve been absolutely head over heels in love with Previously’s garters for ages. They’re a little out of my budget right now, but I hope to save up for a set someday.