The Seduction by Frederick’s of Hollywood Collection

frederick's of hollywood ruffled lace apron

For the past few years, Frederick’s of Hollywood has had a bit of trouble finding their footing in the lingerie industry. Not quite Victoria’s Secret, but not a Babeland or a Journelle either, Frederick’s has struggled to convince customers why exactly they should shop at their stores… resulting in record deficits for this company (as well as a few failed attempts to sell it). That inability to differentiate themselves in an increasingly crowded market (after all, they’re not the only players in the cheap lingerie sphere) is a shame when you consider Frederick’s storied history. If you’ve ever seen a a vintage of Frederick’s of Hollywood catalog, then you know they used to be amazing.

As a lingerie shopper and a lingerie writer, I admt to feeling a bit bewildered myself when Frederick’s abandoned successful and unique initiatives, like their vintage-inspired ICON collection from a few years ago, in favor of still more cheap lace babydolls and teddies. While the Frederick’s of today isn’t all crotchless thongs and bodystockings (which is what I remember from the F of H catalogs I snuck a peek at as an adolescent), neither do they represent sinfully seductive glamour anymore either. I believe the “Seduction by Frederick’s of Hollywood” lookbook is a definite step in the right direction (it’s shot like an actual editorial spread… yay!), but I do wonder if this label will be able to bounce back into fashion-forward relevancy… or if they’re doomed to malinger and eventually fade away.

What do you think of the collection? And have you shopped at Frederick’s recently?

frederick's of hollywood ruched lace teddy

frederick's of hollywood burnout leopard teddy

frederick's of hollywood split lace cup chemise

frederick's of hollywood burnout leopard chemise

frederick's of hollywood caged mesh cutout chemise

frederick's of hollywood sheer shelf bra babydoll

frederick's of hollywood eyelash lace babydoll

frederick's of hollywood velvet piped teddy

frederick's of hollywood eyelash lace garter tank

frederick's of hollywood strappy lace halter teddy

frederick's of hollywood point d'esprit teddy

frederick's of hollywood velvet piped half slip

frederick's of hollywood banded lace chemise

Mad Mimi Form

Cora Harrington

1. None of the bras actually fit the models…which is the number one thing I look for in evaluating a lingerie brand.

2. Courtney says:

I’ve browsed their site before but never bought anything. Most of the products look cheap and uncomfortable. I heard their original vintage patterns were burned in a fire, which is quite unfortunate.

3. Rosefogg says:

I have always been a fan of FoH. I am the shopper in my marriage and my wife loves everything I’ve purchased from FoH. She finds the lingerie comfortable and very wearable. I realize that FoH has had business struggles, yet I remain faithful to its foundation of sexiness. Let me also say, I LOVE THE LINGERIE ADDICT. Men should ALWAYS stay on top of feminine trends for the women they love! It also helps me fuel my passion as an author of erotic romance. Keep doing what you do! Bravo!

4. Louise says:

I must admit that I have mixed thoughts on this latest Fredericks lingerie collection. Some of the items do seem to be lacking a “touch of class” but the vintage/burlesque items look great. I think this is one of those collections where you need to see in person.

5. Dwc1979 says:

Of the several hundred pairs of panties i own, (total lingerie addict) i believe i own less than 10 from FoH and only 1 or 2 i really like to wear.. with no store anywhere near by i really don’t like buying something i can’t check out or try on in person, and at the very least figuring out how their sizes fit, without have to mail back a return.. All my purcheses have been over the phone and more recently on-line, i felt i got great service over the phone, although once i had a question i asked the on-line customer support and they didn’t seem like much help and haven’t ordered from them in a year or more. I don’t hold anything against them and have my eye on a few things from their website right now.
    i believe their lingerie has had some very sexy styles go un-noticed, i love the skong style that i first found on their website & this new line looks very sexy, and if i could afford to i’d buy something from them i would, especially while it’s 40% off ! :)

6. Annmarie says:

I got couple items from them in the past with mixed reviews. Apart from the look of this new line I think we should also ask ourselves, “How does it feel?” I would imagine that all this cheap lace and stuff is not very comfortable against the skin and would avoid it all if I can’t actually check it out in a store.
    I miss the not-so-distanced-past, like 15 years or less, when quite a few chains including FoH as well as VS often carried affordable and elegant lingerie sets of some sort.
    Nowadays I’m likely to find a better deal in a department store.

7. Meg says:

I think this collection is a step in the right direction. My problem with FoH has been (in addition to the fact that they have been putting out the same chemises as everyone else…) is that their prettier lingerie that I would actually consider buying isn’t cup-sized, but has underwires. I wear a 30E, but can make due with a 32DD. If, however, I buy a small underwire teddy, for example, it’s about an A cup…I just wish they offered under-wire styles by cup-size.

8. emily says:

is it strange that I found myself paying more attention to the fact that the models actually seemed to have beautiful natural breasts rather then the lingerie? I find this a fantastic change from the norm and it makes me want to pay more attention to F o H.

9. Evija` says:

The new collection does look a bit trashy, and not in a good way. But maybe babydolls just aren’t my thing.

10. KathTea says:

It would be nice if they started producing more vintage inspired pieces as that is starting to be all the rage right now. Cheesy stuff are too readily available these days and they get boring.

11. Thursday says:

As an Australian, by foremost association with FoH has always been those fantastic vintage catalogues! So I was puzzled a but when I became familiar with their contemporary offerings. I stopped by their Hollywood Blvd store when I visited the US earlier this year, mostly out of a sense of prilgrimage for the former glory, and found little of interest. This collection has a few more interesting pieces, but I doubt I’ll ever be a modern day FoH convert.

12. Anndrea says:

Yes I have shopped at Frederick’s recently for someone who is close to me for their honeymoon lingerie since it was on a budget, and I was planning on getting some of their stuff and altering it a bit. I noticed a couple of pieces seemed to be knock off’s of the cendrillion and bubbles brief from Agent Provocateur and had no matching bra which bugged me, but I do have their Blakely chemise in black and love it. I got it last year at a store party from the clearance rack with an extra 40% off. feels great. I always pop in every now and then and appreciate their new design of shopping bags.

13. anon says:

I always want to like Frederick’s and I never quite do. I think people are bored with VS though, so if they could position themselves as hipper, edgier and just slightly better quality than VS, they could find a good market. Like, if they were just a little bit cooler.