By the time you read this, I’ll be in Vancouver, British Columbia celebrating the 2 year anniversary of my first date with The Boyfriend. He’s made me impossibly happy over the last two years, and I can genuinely say that I’m better person for knowing him and being with him.
When we were talking about our plans for this weekend, the one thing The Boyfriend said he wanted most from me was the gift of my time. So this weekend, I’m giving him my full and undivided attention and taking a break from all things blogging and blog-related. Lingerie Addict readers are awesome, so I’m sure you’ll understand.
If you haven’t already, please do enter the Dottie’s Delights Lingerie Giveaway. She’s handcrafting a $238 luxury pin-up set for one very lucky winner, with an alternate prize available if the winner happens to be outside the size range for the bra. If you’re craving some lingerie photography goodness, then stop by The Lingerie Tumblr. It’s the official photoblog for the main blog and there’s tons of amazing pictures there.
And, of course, it’s not Saturday without some lingerie sales so here are the ones I was able to find this week before I closed up shop -
- 15% off at Stockingirl with code 15 (expiration unknown)
- 25% off at Bare Necessities with code FRIEND (ends 10/31/11)
- 20% off the Autumn/Winter catalog at Figleaves with code EXCLUSIVE (ends 10/31/11)
Have a great weekend and I’ll see you all again next week. :)
Photo Credit: Top photo via Figleaves
One of the questions that pops up in my inbox at least once per day is “Where can I, as a D, DD, E, F, G (and so on) cup woman find pretty bras that fit my bust but won’t break the bank?” Though I’m a smaller size at 34B, I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be to love lingerie and never be able to find it in your size…or your budget. I hope this guide of DD+ cup bras priced from $30 to $220 helps with your search. Please feel free to make recommendations of your own or leave reviews of the bras you love in the comments.
|Pour Moi? Underwire Nonpadded Bra – $30
Lace Long Line Bra – $41.95
Long Line Lace Underwire Bra – $43.95
Ruffle Demi Bra – $44.95
Ruffle Shelf Bra – $44.95
Panache Sophie Support Bra – $46.20
Ultimo DD-G Seductress Multiway Bra - $52.11
Ultimo DD-G Balcony Bra – $53.91
Gossard Sassy Plunge Bra – $59
Elle Macpherson Intimates Artistry Contour Bra – $65 (other colorways on sale)
Kiss Me Deadly Blue DeVille Bra – ~$66.87
Agent Provocateur Shazam Bra – $110
Agent Provocateur Lorna Bra - $170
Agent Provocateur Juno Bra – $220
Agent Provocateur Maddy Bra - $220
Wacoal Lace Embrace Bra ($46, matching panty: $27)–I love lingerie that manages to be sexy and wearable at the same time and this Wacoal bra is it. The embroidery, the detailing, the fit…I’ve seen bras in this style that cost three times as much. Best of all, it’s so comfy that it makes great everyday piece. Available in sizes 32B to 40DD.
We don’t do very many giveaways on The Lingerie Addict. And when we do have a giveaway, it’s usually attached to a special event…like Valentine’s Day or my blogaversary or passing 10,000 fans on Facebook.
But not this giveaway.
This giveaway is all about you and your awesomeness. It’s just a small way of saying “Thank you,” for being readers, fans, and supporters of The Lingerie Addict. Because seriously, you all are amazing.
You have the chance to win a gorgeous, luxury, made-to-order lingerie set worth $238 from the very lovely Dottie’s Delights upcoming F/W 2011 range. Made of antique satin and black point d’espirt, this vintage-inspired bra and panty set is perfect for the modern pin-up girl. The sheer, peek-a-boo mesh flirtatiously reveals and conceals…and I have to say, I’m absolutely smitten with this lingerie.
The bra is available in sizes 32-36 B-DD. The knicker is available in sizes XS-XL. If the winner falls outside of the bra size range, an alternate prize of equal value will be awarded. Dottie’s Delights is made-to-order, and the set will take approximately 4-6 weeks to make and ship. This giveaway is open internationally. Further entry details are in the super-easy widget below, and the giveaway runs until next Wednesday, November 2nd at 11:59 p.m. PST. Winner will be chosen at random on Friday, November 4th.
Best of luck and thank you for reading The Lingerie Addict!
In perfect timing with all the hype surrounding last week’s big reveal of this year’s $2.5 million fantasy bra, I got my ultra-glossy Victoria’s Secret holiday catalog in the mail this week.
I don’t talk a lot about Victoria’s Secret on the blog because they’re everywhere. It’s a brand everyone knows (though not everyone loves), and I like to spend my time here talking about lingerie brands that may be less familiar to you all.
That said, Victoria’s Secret is the most popular lingerie company in America (if not the world) and many people, myself included, had their first exposure to the big, wide world of intimates within their walls. They’re known for being both accessible and affordable, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by their selection this year. Here are my top 10 picks from their holiday catalogue:
|Joan Arline, “The Sexquire Girl”|
- Burlesque legend Joan Arline, aka “The Sexquire Girl,” passed away on Sunday, October 16th from leukemia. Her last live performance was in June of this year at the Burlesque Hall of Fame. I had the pleasure of watching Joan perform and teach last year in Seattle, and she was amazing. You’ll be missed, Ms. Arline.
- Dita von Teese remains indomitable, launching both perfume and dress collections in the next few weeks. Her highly anticipated lingerie will also launch in Australia later this year, and be available internationally in 2012.
- Miranda Kerr–Australian supermodel, Victoria’s Secret Angel, and new Mom–says her secret to a “lingerie body” is to eat a little naughty. I have a feeling it’s mostly genetics.
- Vintage lingerie blogger Slip of a Girl turned me on this handmade, cat-stamped tights. This a great project for you crafty types; I may try it myself on a rainy Seattle day!
- The Lingerie Journal asks, “What role do bloggers play in the intimate apparel industry?” Not surprisingly, I disagree with most everyone else quoted in the piece.
- I was the featured expert on this week’s #dealchat about fab & frugal lingerie with @frugalista. It was super fun. You can read her brief interview with me at the preceding link or check out the entire transcript of the tweetchat here.
- 50% off luxury summer styles at Between the Sheets with code STEAL50
- Extra 10% off sale items at ASOS with code BONUS10 (ends 10/24/11)
- Up to 70% off sexy Halloween costumes at Hips & Curves
- 40% off sexy Halloween costumes at Frederick’s of Hollywood
- Wacoal sale at Rue La La (begins 11 am EST, 10/23/11)
- Spanx sale at Gilt Groupe (begins 12 pm EST, 10/26/11)
- Free shipping at Bare Necessities with code SHIPFREEOCT (ends 10/25/11)
- Free worldwide delivery on orders over £100 at Agent Provocateur with code FD11 (ends 10/26/11)
- 15% off at Joanna’s Wardrobe with code HALLOWEEN (ends 11/1/11; excludes sale items & hosiery)
- 20% off everything at Babygirl Boutique with code TAKE20 (ends 10/23/11)
As both a wearer and a designer of lingerie, I have a compartmentalized way of experiencing and thinking about lingerie. My love of its sensuality and playfulness–and ultimately the way it makes me FEEL–is the reason I became a lingerie designer in the first place. But my emotional appreciation of it is counterbalanced by my left-brain thoughts about it as a designer.
People seem to be entranced by what they imagine my job is: the glamour and the crazy-artist pure creativity! But I think fashion design is more akin to engineering. Thinking through construction techniques and pairing raw materials for the desired end-use is one of the most important components of designing.
So all this said, I decided to bring you my review of Elle Macpherson’s Fall collection from two points of view, Lingerie Wearer Laura and Lingerie Designer Laura. I tried on Lux Noir, a lined balconet bra and medium-coverage panty from Elle Macpherson’s main intimates collection, and Greta, an unlined demi bra and french bikini from the more decadent Obsidian collection by Elle Macpherson.
LINGERIE WEARER LAURA:
I wanted to be scientific about my review, so decided to seek an non-designer opinion on the products. I took snapshots of myself in a couple bra/panty sets and sent them to the long-distance BF for unbiased feedback.
“Number 1!!!!” was Lux Noir. I can see why it got such rave feedback. The lining gave support and a smooth silhouette, while the balconet construction provided plenty of natural lift without relying on excess padding. It felt like the best version of a natural shape and I felt sexy in a not-trying-too-hard way. The panty was more coverage than I personally prefer, but is a great, flattering option for ladies who like a more covered booty.
Greta felt super sexy! The panty was just revealing enough, but managed to stay totally in place and steer clear of the dreaded VPL. The demi bra was so demi that I was spilling out….in a good way. It was an unusually square shape, with the straps and bra-top forming almost a right angle, and this surprised me by creating an incredibly sexy frame for my decolletage….
LINGERIE DESIGNER LAURA:
Lux Noir impressed me with its fabric/trim choice and construction. I loved the luminous effect of the gold-printed lace! In this case, the gold was applied to the surface of the lace–the part away from the skin–so it wasn’t itchy at all as some lurex laces might be.
The 4 piece cup construction created an elegant series of vertical lines on the bra and a smooth shape (more seams=better contoured shape). On the panty, the V-shaped seams at the front made beautiful use of the decorative scalloped edge of the lace, while the two-layered mesh back allowed for a seamless leg opening.
Greta’s laces were gorgeous! Guipure lace is more bulky than other laces and has zero stretch–so it’s a more challenging material to design with. But here, it’s cleverly combined with detailing in stretch satin that provides enough give to compensate for the lace. In addition to its structural benefits, the combination of materials adds textural variety and interest. So sexy!
About the Fall collection for Obsidian, Creative Director Elle Macpherson explains, “ It’s the lingerie I choose when I want to feel truly special.” This, ladies, is attainable luxury. What are your favorite pieces from Elle Macpherson?
Lux Noir is available at Posh Lingerie, Tigard, OR ($68 bra, $35 panty) http://www.poshlingerie.net/
Greta is available at Brooklyn Fox Lingerie, Brooklyn, NY ($90 bra, $50 panty) http://brooklynfox.com/. For general info on Elle Macpherson Intimates, visit http://www.ellemacphersonintimates.com/.