Retro (Black) Glamour Featuring Bettie Page Lingerie by Playful Promises
Tla Logo

Inclusivity matters in lingerie too!
Enter your email below to discover our Top 20 Lingerie Brands (and get a free chapter of my book!):

We promise to never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for the Perfect Lingerie Guide? Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail are Now Available!

Order Your Copy Today!

Signed Copies of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie are available now! Click here!

Retro (Black) Glamour Featuring Bettie Page Lingerie by Playful Promises

Disclosure: This article is sponsored by Bettie Page Lingerie by Playful Promises

Bettie Page Retro Futuristic Bullet Bra ($32) in size L and Lingerie Skirt ($45) in size M.

Josephine Baker. Dorothy Dandridge. Eartha Kitt. Lena Horne. Joyce Bryant. Billie Holiday. Tina Turner. Iman. These women were the faces of glamour in my childhood. Beautiful, iconic women who were not only Black, but also massively talented and gorgeous to boot. They were a balm to me, an answer to a society and a culture that made it clear girls and women who looked like me could never be "good enough."

Though pinup culture is stronger today than it's probably been since the 1950s, the history of Black pinups is largely unsung and unwritten. Images of Betty Grable, Marilyn Monroe, and yes, Bettie Page, are everywhere, but photos of vintage black pinup models are few and far between. Even the art of the era, which includes greats like Gil Elvgren, Bill Ward, and Earl Moran, is a largely white iconography. It would be easy, if one were so inclined, to believe Black women didn't exist as pinups. Yet, nothing could be further from the truth.

Often, when this disparity is brought into the open, whether in reference to vintage art or even modern day art and pinup photography, people respond with the claim that it's "impossible" to find Black models. There's a belief that Black women, both then and now, simply aren't photogenic enough or "pinup" enough to represent the genre. Of course, that reasoning is ridiculous. More than that, when we're talking about images are meant to be seen as an ideals or interpretations of beauty, what does it mean when that vision of beauty is exclusively white?

As we've talked about time and time again on TLA, there is power in representation and visibility. The word "empowerment" gets tossed around in reference to most anything nowadays, but there truly is something quite powerful when people who were largely unseen become visible.

I remember the first time I ran across photos of women like Lottie the Body, Miss Topsy, Jean Idelle, Joyce Bryant and Ethelyn Butler. It was a revelation to me. Yet mixed in with that elation was also a sense of shock. Why hadn't I seen these pictures before? Why was that part of pinup - and, relatedly, burlesque - history hidden?

There are lots of reasons I like Playful Promises, but one reason - perhaps the most important one - is because this brand actively pushes against many conventions others take as a given. From speaking out on centering entire campaigns around older women, to manufacturing their lingerie in core, plus, and full bust sizes (and shooting on models from each size range), to campaigns highlighting trans models, Playful Promises, a self-identified feminist lingerie brand, has made responding to, unpacking, and defusing industry tropes an inherent part of what they do - all while creating stunningly gorgeous lingerie.

Vintage black pinups at the beach

Vintage black pinups at the beach

When Playful Promises first asked me to the face of this Bettie Page Lingerie campaign, I was flattered, of course. Playful Promises and I have a very long history. Among other things, they were the first brand to sponsor a giveaway here as well as one of TLA's very first advertisers. Now, they're the first brand to ever ask me to be a model for them, and I couldn't be more honored.

However, the opportunity to model for one of my favorite lingerie brands wasn't the only reason I said yes. I also said yes because Emma, the founder and director of Playful Promises, made it clear that she wanted me - afro, dark skin, full lips and all - to show another idea of what a pinup could look like.

For me, this shoot is a collaboration and a celebration, not just of Playful Promises and their wildly successful Bettie Page line, but also of glamour. And of showing that glamour can take many forms. Glamour doesn't have to be traditional. It doesn't have to conform to others' standards.

You - yes, you - can be a gloriously decadent, sensual, powerful human in amazing lingerie...even if the way you look isn't valued by the mainstream. And I love that Playful Promises is here for that. Because everyone who wants it should have gorgeous lingerie.

Being visibly yourself in a world that insists you should be invisible is a marvelous, extraordinary thing. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. Bettie Page is an icon, and it's largely because of the lingering power of her photographs. Well something similar can be true for any of us. Show up, be yourself, incorporate beauty and pleasure and joy into your life...and maybe take a few photos along the way. Because you are good enough. And you deserve happiness.

For me, this collaboration with Bettie Page Lingerie is a way of connecting with my history. It's a way of paying tribute to all those unnamed and unremembered fashionable women of past eras and decades. It's also about shifting the story on what pinups can look like. And, lastly, it's about thanking Playful Promises for believing in this Black pinup all those years ago.

If you've tried Playful Promises for Bettie Page, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments. And if you have more specific questions about a certain item, feel free to ask in the comments! I'm happy to answer them.

Bettie Page Lingerie Black Faux Feather Babydoll ($38) and Black Faux Feather Robe ($45)

Bettie Page Lingerie Black Faux Feather Babydoll ($38) in size 8 and Black Faux Feather Robe ($45) in size 8.

Bettie Page Lingerie Teal/Black Overwire Bra ($57) in size 34C, Teal/Black 4 Strap Suspender Belt ($48) in size 8 US and Teal/Black Z Stitch Highwaist Brief ($38) in size 8 US. Shown with Point Heel Stockings ($24) in size 10 and Mesh Gloves in O/S, both in Black.

Bettie Page Lingerie Retro Eyelash Lace Bra ($57), Lace 4 Strap Suspender Belt ($57) and Mesh Classic Brief ($19)

Bettie Page Lingerie Retro Eyelash Lace Bra ($57) in 34C, Lace 4 Strap Suspender Belt ($57) in size 10 US and Mesh Classic Brief ($19) in size 10 US. Shown with Point Heel Stockings ($24) in size 10.

Bettie Page Lingerie Black/Peach Overwire Bra, Black/Peach 4 Strap Suspender Belt, Black/Peach Z Stitch Highwaist Brief

Bettie Page Lingerie Black/Peach Overwire Bra ($57) in size 34C, Black/Peach 4 Strap Suspender Belt ($48) in size 8 US and Black/Peach Z Stitch Highwaist Brief ($38) in size 8 US. Shown with Point Heel Stockings ($24) in size 10.

Cora Harrington

Founder and Editor in Chief of The Lingerie Addict. Author of In Intimate Detail: How to Choose, Wear, and Love Lingerie. I believe lingerie is fashion too, and that everyone who wants it deserves gorgeous lingerie.

1. Derek says:

Thank you for putting words to true empowerment, and shedding light where it belongs!
    PS, it was wonderful to meet you at Curvexpo NYC. I might just have to make a collage portrait inspired by one of these photos, if ok by you.

2. Elizabeth says:

So beautiful. (Underwear is too). You reminded me of Iman, but you have your own beauty too. So glad Betty Page have asked you to model for them. Wish I could wear their bras. They are lovely.

3. Alexis says:

The first time I saw your photo, I told you that you look like a model. I am happy to see that you have finally become one!

4. Kashayas says:

Oh wow you look beautiful and I love the lingerie featured.

5. Saffron says:

You look completely stunning, and I feel like these photos look classic and contemporary all at once. love it!!

6. Bree says:

You look so stunning and sexy! I’m so in love with the futuristic bullet bra ❤️ I need to check this company out xox

• Cora says:

The futuristic bullet bra is so dramatic. It would be a great piece for styling as outerwear, especially for the evenings. Thanks for stopping by!

7. Erica says:

The pictures are lush – you look beautiful!

I have the bullet bra and love it, the fit is on point and its great quality for the price point. Cannot wait to try over-wires next!

• Cora says:

Thank you, Erica! I completely agree with your notes here. And especially now that the overwire is available in a black/black colorway, I feel like it’s a must-have.

8. Amber says:

This post made me super emotional. Cora, you look so damn good, and the lingerie actually looks like it was made for you. I love everything about this entire lookbook and I am so excited for you and for PP for this amazing shoot! Beautiful photos…you look stunning, lady! xoxo

PS. I also appreciated the fit notes, I was super curious about the fit of some of these pieces (especially the overwire) and your notes made me feel more confident about a future purchase from this collection.

• Cora says:

Hi Amber!

Thank you so much for your support and encouragement over the years. Like I said, I couldn’t think of a better partner for my first collaboration like this, and I’m so glad you like the images. Thank you for sharing it to your blog as well.

With affection,

9. Thursday says:

Stunning photos Cora, and a perfect collaboration. I didn’t realise TLA and Playful promises went back so far! I’ve been loving the Curve offerings although am a bit disappointed that only the black/peach set seems to be coming out in the plus sizes. I did order the suspender belt and highwaist brief, but I haven’t fully tested them out for wear (I don’t tend to wear stockings much when the temps fall below zero). The fit seems slightly smaller on the UK22 than the main ranges and unfortunately one of the bows trimming a suspender popped off when I first slipped it on. I did also purchase the overwire bra in a sort-of sister size but I’m not sure it’s a shape that works for me. Strapless bras in general don’t tend to suit my bust, but I think I’ll try some padding to help with lift from underneath. I would have liked the option of straps, which I think I saw have been included with the most recent colourways?
    At any rate, you make it all look amazing in this shoot!

• Cora says:

Hi Thursday!

Yes, we do. It’s been wild, and really, an incredible honor to have such a long partnership with a company that’s believed in TLA from the very beginning.

Thank you for sharing your fit notes on the Curve collection too. Have you shared any of your feedback with Playful Promises? I feel certain that they’d want to hear your thoughts, especially regarding the bow trim popping off and any fit discrepancies. If you have time, I’d love to hear what you think about the overwire bra when you receive it. I’m interested in hearing how it works on different sizes.

Thanks again for your support and kind words,

• Thursday says:

You know I love what you do here at the blog, and you keep going from strength to strength. You’ve earned every bit of my support through hard work and dedication :) And stunning editorials like this!

I have been reviewing items over on the Playful Promises site when I get the chance, but I am a bit behind. And I don’t like to compose a review until I have worn each item a few times – and other than the first test for fit when they arrived, my Bettie Page items haven’t been worn at all. As I said, I love what Playful are doing and am happy to help them get better and better.

10. Amber DeSadier says:

You look stunning and it is amazing to see a black woman represented in lingerie modeling. Representation matters and you show off their stuff so well. Thanks Playful Promises for supporting women! I can’t wait to buy me some Bettie Page Lingerie. I have wanted some forever, but this is significantly more of a push to support a great company.

Btw, you look stunning.

• Cora says:

Thank you, Amber! A lot of brands call themselves feminist or “for women” or what have you nowadays, but I feel like Playful Promises comes closets to walking the walk. What they’ve done with their size expansions in particular over the last few seasons is unparalleled.