Age is Beauty: The New Campaign from Lonely Lingerie

Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer

Without invoking any comparisons, age truly seems like one of the last taboos of the lingerie industry. Words like “aspirational” get thrown around with careless abandon, and one of the unstated (but wretchedly obvious) components of that aspiration is to be endlessly 22. Maybe 26. If you’re feeling daring.

A week ago, while in New York for lingerie market, I discovered my second gray hair. At least, it’s the second one I saw; there’s more likely a few somewhere up there. While a few years ago, spotting those first few grays may have made me sad or at least distracted, now I understand how growing older is a privilege.

There is beauty in aging. Not the “growing old gracefully” and “look as young as you can for as long as you can” beauty, but the beauty born of experience, of wisdom, of loving yourself, and of caring less regarding what people think about you.

Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer

Lonely Lingerie explores these concepts with their latest campaign, featuring 57 year old model and former punk, Mercy Brewer. While Lonely’s campaigns, which often push on the boundaries of what’s considered “normal” for lingerie, receive a lot of criticism, Lonely has proved once again that they’re in this “changing imagery” thing for the long haul. Their images are consistently raw, real, and refreshing, not couched in faux body positivity mantras or girl power anthems.

Season after season, Lonely feels like lingerie I could wear. More meaningfully, it feels like lingerie I could grow old in. In an industry that’s all too happy to discard women once they’ve reached their first quarter century, this is a message worth keeping…and passing on.

What do you think of Lonely’s latest campaign? I’d love to talk about it with you in the comments.

All photos courtesy of Lonely Lingerie. Photographer: Harry Were.

Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer

Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer

Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer

Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer     Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer

Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer

Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer

Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer

Lonely Lingerie - Mercy Brewer

Mad Mimi Form

Article Tags : ,
Cora Harrington

1. Love this campaign! I’m 62 years old and although not a model, not ready for the bone yard either :) I love to dress up, making my own clothes and yes wear gorgeous, lacey bras that my husband loves to put on me and remove too :)

2. Love these photos. I’m a mature model myself and I do hope the industry will come to realize that in needs to be more inclusive in its definition of beauty. There has been some recognition but still a long way to go. Would love to model for you someday. Thanks for bringing these issues forward.

3. miri says:

it´s just beautiful.

4. Hannah says:

I love this so much, I can’t even express why! Just beautiful!

5. l.v.h. says:

She looks amazing. that is really the long and short of it.

6. Michelle says:

Mercy looks amazing and I love this campaign, but I’m not sure aging is the final frontier or lingerie. As a disabled woman in her 40’s, it’s more my disability that I find no one has really touched on. Disabled women are rarely seen as sexual beings, so most companies ignore us. I’d love to see Lonely Lingerie tackle disability in their next campaign. I’d love to pop into a store to grab some flash lingerie like what Mercy is modelling. But as I found last time I went into a lingerie store in my wheelchair I was outright ignored, even when I clipped a rack with my chair. The attendant never interacted with me in the store and looked relieved when I left. Lonely Lingerie are one company that could definitely challenge and change the disability narrative just like they are doing with age. Plus their lingerie looks fabulous.

7. Zoe says:

I love everything about this; the clothes, the model, the setting, the atmosphere. Love it.

8. Viktoria Pettypiece says:

Love this, that the older woman can be sexy and wear the latest lingerie

9. Sarah says:

Love, love, love!

10. Alexander Wajsfelner says:

Just beautiful, visually and emotionally.

11. Trish says:

I have wanted to try lonely before, this makes me want to even more!

12. Ellen Bowman says:

Ah I love it!! So raw and powerful. Mercy Brewer looks so cool and comfortable, nothing about this even makes me question her age, it makes me smile.

13. Rebecca says:

A) Mercy looks amazing! B) I have a deep need for that green bra. C) It’s really cool to see Lonely broadening their customer base in terms of age–especially since Lonely has always struck me as a brand for young hip people (at least in the way they present themselves through ads and so on). It’s refreshing to see a campaign that shows that hipness knows no age. D) Come to think of it, it’s odd that so few lingerie ads target people above 30. The majority of bra-owners fit into that broad demographic, and bras especially are an item that doesn’t last for decades. Plus, non-Millenials probably have more free cash to spend on clothing.