Lingerie Shopping: Bra Boutiques in the United States

This lingerie directory has been compiled by Source Du Mal, a young lingerie enthusiast from Chicago who is an avid advocate for plus size and full bust options in lingerie.

black guipure brassiere

I have had many conversations on Twitter about bras and have seen many industry figures speak about the public perception about bras and the seeming divide between the consumer and the perceived ‘appropriate cost’ of bras. One major issue that keeps popping up is the fact that many women who are full bust simply don’t know where to go. Being both a plus size and a fuller bust woman, I empathize with that sentiment, because being a 34GG/H cup means I can’t just walk into any store and find an array of bras in my size with ease.

I have spoken recently on twitter about the importance of access in relation to the lingerie world. I define access as being able to physically go into a brick and mortar store, be fitted, and try on bras in one’s size. Even in the age of online shopping and the existence of Bratabase, having the ability to walk into a store and know before purchase that a bra fits is paramount to consumer experience. This is especially important because of the existing stigmas surrounding larger breasts, the lack of knowledge about sizes available, the notion that larger bras are ugly, and the perception that fuller bust bras are ‘overpriced.’ Having better access is the key to dispelling these false perceptions as well as bringing a lot of people into a brand new world of beautiful bra styles for all body shapes.

With that said, I have taken the time to search for bra boutiques across the US that do fittings and carry bra sizes outside of the usual “core sizing” of 32-38 A-DDD. These are not traditional department stores like Macy’s and JCPenney, as they explicitly state they carry bands as small as 28 and as large as 56+, with cup sizes from AA to N and beyond. Many of these shops are also certified to fit post-mastectomy bras and bra forms.

A lot of these are local small businesses that would definitely benefit from more patronage, because, as Cora has said, the more you shop your local boutiques, the more pressure stockists have to supply those beautiful bras and lingerie pieces.

Do you have a favorite local lingerie boutique? Please share it in the comments!

Alabama

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Mad Mimi Form

Cora Harrington

1. Kat says:

I would love to be included in this list for North Carolina! Luxury-Lingerie & Beauty Boutique is in Duck, NC in the Outer Banks. http://www.luxuryobx.com

2. Heather says:

We have an award-winning boutique called Amour in Des Moines, IA. (I even had a customer who said she works freelance for The Lingerie Addict once). We do a variety of lingerie from basic to fashion. Bras from A-G cup and lingerie and lounge S-XXL. We try to stock smaller brands with ethical manufacturing practices when we can.

• Cora says:

Hmmm…we have never had a freelancer in Des Moines, Iowa. It was probably just one of our writers passing through, but I sincerely hope someone wasn’t being dishonest about their association with TLA in an effort to gain something from your business. That would be disconcerting.

• Heather says:

No, she lived out west and was just visiting. She said she bought her very first set of matching lingerie from us. She was a pleasure to work with and wanted to no special treatment. I hope she’ll come see us again. Thanks so much, Heather

3. ES says:

Busted Bra Shop in Detroit is my Detroit favorite. They have a great selection and excellent customer service. I know you’re focused on US shops, but I just need to say that Secrets From Your Sister in Toronto, Ontario far exceeded my expectations. If you’re traveling to Toronto, be sure to set up an appointment at SFYS.

4. Thank you so much for including us, Cora! We’re doing our best to stock a range of sizes and have plans for incorporating more brands and sizes as we continue growing. Doing swimwear next year will be the culmination of a several year long dream!

5. Tiffany says:

Not sure if my shop can be added at this point but, I own The Lace Lounge, a bra-fit boutique in Los Angeles, CA. The shop is pretty new (opened last year)…So If you’re in LA come check us out!

6. Ellen says:

Every Body Bras & Intimates is in Fayetteville, NY just outside of Syracuse!

7. Butterflyinblack says:

Žovo’s Bellevue branch in Washington state is now closed.

8. Rings90 says:

Boudoir in De Pere Wisconsin should be on the list.

• Christal Cheslock says:

Thanks for the mention! Yes, I opened Boudoir in De Pere, WI last summer and we would love to be included in this list :)

9. Thanks for the mention Cora and Source du Mal! We’re still a fairly new shop and figuring things out a bit but we try our hardest to consistently stock 28-46 bands in cups A-K(UK sizing) and are always willing to make special orders if we’re out of something!

10. Brooklyn Fox Lingerie says:

Hi from Brooklyn Fox Lingerie. We have two brick and mortar locations in Brooklyn and sell up to an H cup with some I-cups. In fact, the past two weeks our web homepage http://www.brooklynfox.com featured two of our staff members in larger cup bras – F and G. Our website needs updating but if you call we are happy to help you with a wider selection than what’s on the site. We are also nominated for best lingerie store this year- fingers crossed! Happy shopping wherever you go- more stores should be selling these sizes.

11. Libby says:

Ann’s Bra Shop, which you have under Missouri (rightfully) is in O’Fallon, IL, not O’Fallon, MO. So that’s two MO locations and one IL. :)

12. Meredith says:

We welcome all lingerie enthusiasts in the Boston area! http://www.shopfortywinks.com

13. Mallory says:

I’ve only been once (and at a 36D, am squarely in “core sizing”), but I had a great experience at http://www.lorettasintimates.com/ in Plano, TX (Dallas area) and would recommend them to anyone.

14. Ashley says:

I have had numerous friends who have had bad experiences at a Bra Patch in Raleigh, NC … Mostly G+ folks made to feel like freaks for their size, I would not recommend hard to fit women go there.

• R says:

Ugh gross. Do you know anything about J Alane’s?

• Ashley says:

My roommate went there a couple years ago and the sales person was very nice, but I think they only carried the Panache Andorra in the store (which is not our favorite) in GG+. I am not sure if they expanded their options since then and they were fairly new at the time. But like I said the staff was very nice and fairly knowledgeable so I think its worth a trip at least. But if you are in the Raleigh area I would really recommend taking a day trip to A Sophisticated Pair in Burlington. Erica, the owner, is amazing and carries a large range of sizes. Its only about an hour away and its not in the Mebane outlets but its nearby enough to enjoy on the same trip.

• Teresa McQueen says:

Agreed! A Sophisticated Pair is hands down the only place in NC I would recommend. I went to bra patch and j’alene and was treated like a freak and a inconvenience. I’m surprised you list bra patch with all the negative reviews. Erica of a sophisticated pair is the most professional and caring person I have ever met and I will continue to drive 4 hours each way, I live in cullowhee nc, just to shop with her.

• Carolyn says:

I’m a 30E and shop at JAlane’s. I usually request sizing advice when I go because over the last 10 years, they have helped me with pregnancy bras, nursing bras and in between. The staff is long term employees or the owner so even over years of shopping there, I have had a consistent shopping experience.

15. Ann says:

Best Rack Around in Leesburg, VA should be on this list. http://www.bestrackaround.com

16. Lia says:

Unfortunately the Ohio one is a little out of date! There are several dead links and Curv Appeal is no longer open.

• Cora says:

Hi Lia,

I only saw the one dead link (to Sheer Necessities). Is that the one you saw as well? Thanks for the update about Curv Appeal. I’ve removed them from the list.