Lingerie Trend Alert: Mixed Media Bodysuits

Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links.

calvin klein underwear stretch lace mesh bodysuit

Calvin Klein Underwear Fierce stretch-lace and mesh underwired bodysuit

Bodysuits are the sorts of items I see all the time, but rarely hear about people wearing. They’ve experienced a bit of a resurgence lately, with retailers offering more and varied styles, but many people understandably find them a bit awkward and hard to mix into a lingerie wardrobe. While I’m no stylist, I went through a bodysuit phase years ago, and I liked them as layering pieces (like an undershirt) and a way to get a sleek, tucked-in look without a lot of bulk (this was especially true for bodysuits that were meant to look like blouses or tanks).

Now that it’s almost summer, bodysuits are an excellent to get more coverage under an otherwise revealing garment like a dress with deep sides, a crop top, or a sheer shirt. I feel like these bodysuits are most indicative of a mini-trend I’m calling “mixed media,” which is very much akin to the texture trend you can expect for this upcoming autumn/winter lingerie season.

To me, mixed media bodysuits fuse elements like lace and mesh into graphic, modern designs. One of the most striking examples is the Calvin Klein piece above (which is actually 70% off, so jump on that), but there are more subtle versions of this look as well, such as the Natori bodysuit below. Regardless, what all of these looks have in common is the idea that your underpinnings should be at least interesting as your outerwear, which, as you know, is definitely an idea I subscribe to.

Are you a fan of bodysuits? Do you have any tips for finding the right one?

Mad Mimi Form

Cora Harrington

1. Melissa29 says:

Wow! I am so happy to get a response from you! I love your website. I will try ebay. Thanks again Cora! :)

2. Melissa29 says:

Sorry ladies, I meant the Calvin Klein bodysuit.

• Cora says:

Thanks for the update! It was on sale when I put together article, so I’m not surprised that it’s all gone now. It was a very striking piece, and a great deal too. If you’re still interested, maybe try ebay? A lot of lingerie eventually makes its way there.

3. Melissa29 says:

I love all of them. I love the dkny bodysuit, but it’s sold out! I wear them in the summer under a backless or low back blouses. I am busty and prefer a bodysuit with under-wire or something to hold me up! I wish I can go bra-less but I need support. I like Bali’s lace and smooth body briefer. The lace is not itchy and it works under dresses too.

4. Okay, that Natori bodysuit is blowing my mind a little bit. How gorgeous!
    I think that this festival-going generation is going to eat up this bodysuit resurgence, I’m interested to see how people incorporate these into wearable looks that people over 25 can wear.

• Cora says:

I loooove the Feathers range. So glad to see that Natori is expanding on it. The Feathers bra is one of my everyday favorites.

5. Kiri says:

I’m an aerialist, so I wear bodysuits under my leggings for class (and if I ever perform I’ll be wearing my favourite fancy lace one) so there’s never any bare skin around my middle otherwise the fabric burns are nasty.

Outside of class I’ve a few favourites that I wear with high-waisted skirts/trousers, but generally only for special occasions as mine run mostly to mesh and lace and are only just safe to wear outside the bedroom!

That Calvin Klein number at the top is definitely going on my wishlist.