Ones To Watch: 5 Lingerie Brands To Keep An Eye On

1 Edge-O-Beyond_main

Edge O’Beyond

Designing lingerie can be a hard, grueling job, but someone’s got to do it! Not that it’s without its perks, of course. However ,the industry is by no means a cushy one, and often the job is not nearly as luxurious as it seems. There are certain times the workload can get downright unbearable with 18-hour work days, non-stop travel and back-to-back meetings monopolizing your entire schedule, let alone your precious personal life. Working as a designer can quickly take its toll on your health and personal relationships if you’re not careful. But with the headaches come the rewards (world travel, celebrity networking and free samples, just to name a few), which make it all worthwhile at the end of the day. However, after years of sleepless nights and brutal schedules, I’ve decided it’s time to make the leap into a different sector of the lingerie world and try my hand at a new trade: retail.

This was not a decision I made lightly, especially considering the fact that I love designing lingerie. The passion has been pumping through my veins since I discovered my first garter belt at age 13! However, after 12 years, I’m finally ready for a change. With a deepening curiosity for merchandising and marketing, I’ve decided that curating a shop will be the next step in my lingerie career. Launching virtually to start, I’m now looking forward to building an online selection that will highlight unique brands, support new labels, cater to stylish young women, and allow me to further explore this whole other spectrum of consumerism and business.

While I am only in the initial stages of this new venture, I realized quickly that the best way to cut my teeth would be attending the Curve Lingerie Expo this week in NYC, where I could review a diverse array of lingerie brands and get more information on who they are and how we can work together. So here I am, fresh off of 20 hours spent in lingerie nirvana, pounding the pavement (or in this case plush carpeting) and scouring each and every booth for gorgeous lingerie and sleepwear to offer to my soon-to-be prospective customers. During my lingerie frenzy I encountered many amazing brands that impressed me with their ingenuity and new ideas. I am now so inspired and excited to begin my journey into the world of e-commerce, and share what I’ve found with like-minded women who appreciate the value of detail, comfort, and affordability.

So, as I slowly descend from my shopping high and begin the carefully-crafted buying process, I want to show you some of the brands that particularly struck a chord with me this season. Many are still new to the industry, and I hope to see them stick around for a while as I find their perspective refreshing — and I hope to soon stock their lovely offerings on my up and coming web shop. Take a look below and let me know what you think!

Naja

You may have already heard of Naja, as they’ve been recently garnishing a lot of press for their Underwear For Hope campaign. This San Francisco-based company commits itself to educating and empowering single mothers in Columbia to work in their factories and produce their products. In addition, a percentage of each sale goes toward supporting these mothers who have helped to make this socially-conscious brand a Kickstarter success story. The affordably-priced bras and panties utilize comfort first with pima cotton fibers, memory foam, and nylon. They boast fun, whimsical prints ranging from photo-real naturescapes to boho florals and tattoo-inspired decals. Each piece also has some surprising details, such as printed inside cups or hidden inspirational sayings, to add a little twist and brighten your day. Visit www.naja.co for more information.

Erica M

In the market for some sexy new legwear? Take a cue from the iconic Beyoncé and check out the hosiery and bodysuits from New York-based designer Erica M. Utilizing high quality hosiery from Italy, Erica M’s Bey-approved looks are sexy, sassy, and a bit rebellious with leopard patterns, faux stirrup looks, and evocatively-placed heart motifs. With her use of suggestive trompe l’oeil and a combination of luxurious and durable knits these items feel fresh, elegant, and empowering. See for yourself at www.ericam.com.

Monette Paris

New French label Monette Paris is expert at utilizing silk to create luxurious and sophisticated lingerie true to classic French form. Scrolling through their collection is like window-shopping on the Champs Élysées with their paper-thin lace, sumptuous drapes, and crisp eyelets. All of their pieces feel light and airy, with clean lines and elegant colors lending the silhouettes a nonchalant refined glamour. In addition to their soft selection of bras and briefs, you’ll also find bodysuits, slips, and skirts that can easily transition into tasteful outerwear. Take a look at www.monette-paris.com.

Tutti Rouge

If you’re not already familiar with Tutti Rouge, they are a lingerie company out of the UK specializing in feminine bra sets with a flirty attitude. Still relatively new to the US, this fun and girly brand caters to the full-busted women with their mostly padded bras available from a size 28-38 band and D-HH cup. Using primarily satin, mesh, and lace, these coordinating bra and panty sets have playful and feminine details such as beaded lace, cheeky prints, and cute bows, often finished with a tiny signature heart embroidery. It’s the details that make this brand worth looking into, as well as their wide size range and affordable price point. Check them out at www.tuttirouge.com.

Edge O’Beyond

Another UK brand I’m excited about is Edge O’Beyond, scheduled to launch later this month. The Edge O’Beyond range caters to a sexier and more sophisticated customer with its luxurious sheer lace and metallic accents. 14K gold chains and filigree detail add a bit of sparkle to these seriously sexy pieces, with suggestive detailing that’s both innovative and distinct. Though their price points are on the higher side, the quality of these unique designs and the wide size offerings (30B-36DD) make it a quality investment for any sultry fashionista. Find them at www.edgeobeyond.com.

What do you think about these five brands? I’d love to hear your opinions, as well as any suggestions on what you might like to see from a new online lingerie retailer.

Mad Mimi Form

Kristina
Kristina

Lingerie designer and founder of WonderLust Lingerie. I specialize in fashion and trend pertaining to lingerie, sleepwear, hosiery and everything in between. I believe that the right kind of underwear can change your entire outlook for the day so finding a balance between fashion and function is key.

1. Thank you for this lovely piece, we adore TLA! We are so excited to launch with our Debut Collection next month! Keep in touch x

2. […] brand, though it’s getting lots of great press (USA Today and The Lingerie Addict come to mind), is still just starting out. Many of their styles are pre-order currently. Also, the […]

3. Alexandra says:

Not a 28C to be seen. :(

• Cora says:

Several brands that used to offer that size have had to discontinue it due to a lack of sales. Freya, Cleo, and The Little Bra Company have some offerings in 28C, but the typical new brand is not going to start their line off with sizes that have poor sell-through. They need to make sure they have enough product turnover to stay in business.

4. Avigayil says:

Loving Naja, so fresh and summery. They make a 36DD, does anyone know if Columbia’s 36DD is equivalent to a US 36DD or a UK 36DD? I always get confused around that size.

5. Thank you so much for your post on Monette Paris! It was lovely meeting you at Curve, all the more than we are faithful followers of your blog.
    We have big things coming up in September with the brand and can’t wait to share it with you!
    Monette Paris’ team

6. jessa says:

Love those first two Edge of Beyond sets, but I’m out of their size range :( Wonder how much the gold chains add to the price tag? I would most likely remove them anyway

7. Robin M. says:

Definite interest in Edge O’Beyond- can’t wait to see what else they have. I’m petite, so the other won’t work for me (high waists= too high/granny, big busts= too big, eyelet on a petite frame= horrible childlike result).
    My reco for a store starting out it to have a mission- what YOU/YOUR brand will be know for specializing in. You won’t be able to have a stockroom to fit every size, every budget, every type of fit. You’ll develop a true & loyal following if you don’t spread yourself too thin. (The major ecommerce sites already have the infrastructure for vast sizing. Be yourself/your own brand, rather than trying to compete with them out of the gate).
    As a petite I accept that many, many stores will not be for me…but that I can take inspiration and follow the over-arching seasonal trends where I do find them. (This is truer all the time of clothing in the USA as a whole- vanity sizing & much lower stock of small size)
    Being in the USA, I wonder if buyers pick the more bland designs just to appeal to the masses.
    I adore many foreign brands for their use of bolder colors and patterns, as well as detail in construction. As a lingerie addict & global brand collector, I’m in the minority of consumers. I look for a “wow” factor. Everyday items I have my fave pieces that rarely change. I usually have to find them on eBay once they are discontinued. But for the collector pieces and pieces to be shared ;) I want “wow” from the moment I see it, feel it & try it on.
    The obvious difficulty has been the import & returns issues of being an individual, not a company. But I’m learning which countries are easier to deal with (start to finish) than the others which don’t yet have customer service or communication as a top priority.
    Best of luck to you in your store. As a digital marketing professional, I highly recommend asking your customers for feedback on a regular basis… from site functionality, to check out, to range of colors. Also, the closer you can tie actual inventory to each product page the better life will be for everyone. (Half of my international discussions are about inventory that was listed but doesn’t exist after I purchase).
    Some of the products I stay away from as I perceive them as over done, not fresh:
    animal prints, polka dots, stripes, bows, bridal= white/cream/peach/baby blue… but nothing truly sexy!, uniboob chemises without cups (everything should have some shape to it!), chemises without any curves/no definition of rib cage, and eyelash lace. Some brands have been on eyelash lace overkill for up to 5 years now (sorry, Myla brand)…but eyelash lace is not necessarily appealing to one gender. An informal survey albeit, but men I’ve polled are lost to see intricacy of eyelash lace…only that it looks like woman has hairs growing out of places she shouldn’t. Ick. Luckily, many pieces can be altered to do away with that last bit of fringe. (I just cut it off the front of a Dita V.T. bra from Asos.)
    As a last note, I would love to see more of the following in the USA:
    Tangas/Brasilianas (half coverage of lace can be really nice & shaping), crisp print patterns, jacquards in jewel tones, and “Tulip” shape bra cups (have 1 from Dita & 1 from Janet Reger) as they are a pretty way to show cleavage without looking cheap/fake.
    Keep us posted on your store!

• Kristina says:

Thanks for your feedback & your tips! I definitely have my work cut out for me with all the competition out there right now but I do plan on taking your advice and focusing on my own point of view rather than trying to compete with some of the big sites. I hope to have some exciting updates for you shortly. :)

• Hello Robin, we’re glad you like the brand! x

8. Thanks for the round up, and esp for introducing me to Edge o Beyond. Good luck with curating your shop!!

9. Emilia says:

I love this article-too cool to find new names! My ideal online retailer would carry my size (28D)! It is very hard to find bras, let alone bras that I like. I would love an online store that sold interesting lingerie (like the ones you discussed above). I am always looking for something new.

• Kristina says:

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind…. I’ve heard many women are looking for those smaller band/bigger cup sizes lately so it’s definitely something that I’ll be looking into.