Introducing Naja: Brilliantly Patterned Lingerie

Naja Talavera Bra Red

In a retail landscape where prints are rare and usually of the English Garden variety, I was beyond delighted to discover the colorful and whimsical brand Naja. You might recognize their name as it was only just a week or so ago it was mentioned as one of our top five lingerie brands to watch. This San Francisco based company has created the Underwear for Hope program to educate and empower single mothers in founder Catalina Girald’s native Columbia. A percentage of every purchase goes to this program to train and employ these women so they can help themselves and their children. This is a brand you can get excited about both their unique sense of design as well as their social consciousness.

The Talavera collection, in red and blue, is inspired by the rich artistry of Mexican folklore. A riot of color and pattern, you’ll see the bright motifs of Puebla pattern overlayed with lush flowers. There are even playful animals peeking through (look for monkeys and parrots!) adding to the sense of adventure and drama. These are pieces that look like they stepped out of a Frida Kahlo painting (the expertly styled photoshoot is a nod to Frida as well). The bustier has contrasting piping and both front and side boning for support. A double layered back gives the wearer extra support and coverage. The high waisted panty has a double lined panel in front for a bit of control top action as well. Also included in this range is a demi bra, low rise panty, and thong.

Naja Talavera Red

Naja Frida Bra-1

Naja Olivia Bra

Naja Bustier

Naja Blue Talavera

Naja High Waist Back

Naja Thong-1

The Andalusia collection, in navy blue and brilliant yellow, takes its cue from the legacy of 17th Century Spain. It was in Andulsian Spain that the custom of wearing mantillas was born. The demi bra features cups enclosed in soft nylon lace that gathers at the collarbones, prettily framing your decolletage. The bralette gets its shaping from a molded cup with a seamed lace overlay. While the lace of this collection has the delicate scalloped edge used on its namesake mantillas, you’ll also see a floral motif throughout as well as a leaf edge on the front of the cheeky boyshorts (a savvy design move that ties this collection in with its sister collection Talavera). And how cute are those contrasting hipster panties?!

Naja Navy Andalusia

Naja Bianca Lace Bra-1

Naja Bianca Lace Bra-2

Naja Yellow Bralette Set

Naja Adriana Bralette-1

Naja Adriana Bralette-2

Naja Bralette and Panty

One of the things I just love, love, love about Naja is their mexican tile printed molded cups. It is such an expected surprise and adds so much personality. How can you not smile when you pull one of these out of your drawer on a dreary Monday morning!

Naja Bras

What do you think of Naja? Would you try any of these styles? If so, which style is your favorite?

Laurie

Laurie

Laurie Shapiro is the former owner and designer of the luxury lingerie label, Toad Lillie. Based in Seattle, WA, she now helps lingerie businesses engage their customers through brand communications and social media.

More Posts

TwitterLinkedInPinterest

1. meg
    15/08/14 at 11:51

Well the prints ARE lovely, but how is the construction? The fit?

• 15/08/14 at 15:51

The bras are still only available on pre-order right now, so that’s an unknown. That said, we do feature a lot of brands here that we don’t personally know the fit of because we like the way they look.

2. 15/08/14 at 16:25

San Francisco based? Haha! That means I will probably fit their 36DD! The cup shape looks lovely, the only thing I am concerned about is how wide spread the straps are on the Talavera collection (the one that goes up to a 36DD). Now, I hate prints… really really hate prints (especially floral), but I am adoring these! So beautiful and a good price point as well. Thanks for writing another article about them.

• 16/08/14 at 16:48

I’m usually not a fan of big, bright florals either, but I agree…these are exquisite.

3. Laura
    15/08/14 at 16:40

Those lace knickers! The bra prints! I need these in my collection.

4. Zoggi
    16/08/14 at 4:20

The product pages have the message: “tell us about your size and we’ll make it happen.” Does this mean that they will listen to customer feedback on their size range, or does it (dare I hope) mean that they will actually make your size? The latter seems too good to be true…

• 16/08/14 at 16:44

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with requesting your size. A lot of brands value consumer feedback, and I don’t imagine Naja would be any different. The biggest things to keep in mind (and you probably already know these) are 1) development of full bust bra sizes takes years…so it’s not reasonable to request it now and expect to see it in six months from now and 2) those sizes have to sell at volumes comparable to or exceeding the current size range for it to be viable long-term (i.e. people who wear full bust sizes have to buy the products, preferably at full price). But yeah, you should totally get in touch with them about your request!

5. Kate in Reno
    16/08/14 at 14:21

HI Laurie – Remember me? Your fave Cat on a Hot Tin Roof client from Reno? So glad to see you as a contributor on the blog. This line looks divine! Who doesn’t want a parrot on their bum? The Nala website crashed on me just now probably due to the mass rush of Lingerie Addict readers! If site gets up and running, I’ll order and report back as to fit etc. Thanks for sharing.

• Laurie
      16/08/14 at 17:40

Kate! So lovely to hear from you! I’m so pleased you love this line as much as I do. Please do let us know your thoughts on fit. I’m excited to see they go up to a DD as I’m planning on ordering something myself :)