Swimwear of the Week: Buttress & Snatch Mermaid Bikini

buttress and snatch ariel mermaid swimsuit

The official name of this swimsuit refers to a Disney character, but since I’m wary of trademark infringement (at least more than Buttress & Snatch appears to be), we’re just going to call this the ‘Mermaid Swimsuit’ to be safe.

This bikini is obviously a bit kitschy for TLA (and it’s definitely not in the vein of my personal style), but it’s also unique and fun and different. I know for a fact that there are people out there who really, really, really want to be mermaids on the beach this summer, and this swimsuit is perfect for that.

The scallop shell top is printed onto sheer mesh and has a beige powermesh backing with adjustable ties at the back. The fishscale print boyshort bikini bottoms are trimmed with a handcut scallop edge and shiny gold foil. Sizing for the top is S/M and M/L. Sizing for the bottoms is S, M, L. If the size chart for their swimwear is the same as the one for their lingerie, then this suit maxes out around a 10 US (though since swimwear usually runs a bit small, the max may be an 8 US). However, if you’re outside their official size range and want it anyway, Buttress and Snatch also offers bespoke sizing (including mastectomy swimsuits), so it’d be worth dropping them a line to see if you can get something custom made.

As with the rest of the company’s products, this set is very much a luxury item. The swimsuit (top and bottom together) retails for £180 or $307.30USD. For me, that’s a bit much, especially for a niche product, but I imagine this is a brand that knows their target customer.

What do you think? Would you wear a suit like this? Would you buy a suit like this? And what your feelings about the rest of Buttress & Snatch’s new swimwear range?

TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestGoogle PlusFlickrStumbleUponYouTube

1. 23/07/14 at 20:30

Those shorts are so darn cute!

• 25/07/14 at 3:57

I agree. Two thumbs up for the mermaid shorts.

2. Megan
    25/07/14 at 3:33

Ha! I love this bikini – I actually ordered it the day it came out, and I’m waiting for its delivery. I have red hair, so am part mermaid anyway. Might as well look the part. :-)

• 25/07/14 at 3:56

OMG I’M SO EXCITED!!! If you don’t come back and tell me how you like it, I’ll be very upset. I really want to hear how this piece is in person. :-)

3. Megan
    28/07/14 at 7:35

It came! It came! I can’t believe how fast it arrived, considering it made a trip onto three different continents. It’s really great- the fabric is very high quality, and the shells are like real shells with texture sewn into the fabric, and a subtle silvery sheen throughout. The straps are a pale rose-gold shade and will probably blend into my skin tone, making it look like the shells are magically staying put. That’s my hope at least. The shorts are fully lined (yay!) and there is a fancy bit of gold around the edge. I’m at work and can’t try it on just yet (booo) but I’ll leave an update on fit.

• 28/07/14 at 13:04

Oh that sounds amazing! Thank you!

4. Megan
    28/07/14 at 15:04

I’ve got the bikini on, and the fit is mixed for me. I LOVE the shorts – I honestly have never worn a bikini bottom as flattering as this. I’m a US 8 ish (6 if you count the Gap vanity sizing) and very muscular. The shorts in the medium size are perfect. No squeezing or muffin top, and a smooth fit. Hits at the right place on the booty to be flattering and covered at the same time.
    As much as I love the construction of the top, the fit isn’t quite right for my shape. I got the med/large size. I’m a 32e/f and my boobs push the foam shells out, instead of being surrounded by the cups. So, I’m actually a bit indecent if you look straight down. This style would be awesome on someone with less projection – a B or C cup would probably be covered. I’m going to keep the top (I rather love it, actually) and try to add another set of straps from the top of the cups to tie around my neck halter style. I think that would pull the shells back toward my body and cover a bit better.

• 28/07/14 at 16:38

I am so living vicariously through you right now! Thank you so much for sharing this review. I’m really happy to hear the quality is top-notch; I know buying at the luxury price point can be a bit of risk and it’s so disappointing when you get something that doesn’t quite fit your expectations. And I definitely appreciate the review of the top; that’s super useful info.

Thanks again!