More Pinup Photos from Old School Pinups (and a Quick Video About How to Fasten Your Garters!)

Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links. For a full list of our affiliate partners, please see the righthand sidebar of the blog.

old-school-pinups-the-lingerie-addict-1

Here’s another batch of photos from my recent shoot with Old School Pinups (you can see the first set here). These were fun because I actually styled and put together an outfit…as opposed to wearing a pre-made set. The panty girdle is by Kiss Me Deadly (and is completely unlike anything I own, but I love it!), the bra is Gelmart via The Loved One (and only costs $24!!!!), the peignoir is Dottie’s Delights via Faire Frou Frou, and the stockings are Eleganti Manhattan Heels via StockingsHQ (I’ve dreamed of owning Manhattan Heels).

old-school-pinups-the-lingerie-addict-2

Though I’ve done a few shoots now (always for fun, never pay), it still feels weird seeing myself in pictures. I think part of that is because the traditional pinup aesthetic (which I find visually appealing) is a bit of antithesis to how I see myself…and to what my body lends itself too. I always feel like a dork being wide-eyed and coy and pretending to blush. It doesn’t fit my own self-perception…nor is it conducive to how I carry myself.

I prefer a more powerful, assertive pinup (which is likely why I enjoy Kiss Me Deadly’s photos so much), yet I also feel a bit strange trying to be more assertive since the traditional pinup aesthetic is very much based in passivity, softness, and a distinct lack of aggression. It’s an interesting push-pull there. And, let’s face it, it’s compounded by my natural hair (no sultry, flowing locks here) and visible scars (which I insist that photographers keep in my photos now). None of this has much to do with the photoshoot I suppose…it was just on my mind while I was loading up the images.

Anyway…

old-school-pinups-the-lingerie-addict-3

While at Old School Pinups, I also shot a quick video about hooking your stockings to your garters. It’s really short (like less than 2 minutes) and super informal/unstaged, but if you’re wanting bit of advice about the whole garter grip thing, I hope it helps.  Since video is something I’m wanting to make a larger part of TLA, if you like this format, we might film a few more.  As always, I hope you like it, and thanks for viewing my photos!

TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestGoogle PlusFlickrStumbleUponYouTube

1. SoundsLikeRamona
    11/04/14 at 7:44

You look lovely! That girdle is everything. And yes, please make more videos. Thank you for being my go to source for all things lingerie.

2. 11/04/14 at 15:07

I love that girdle! And I’m not normally a big fan of floral prints. Did you know Freya made a matching bra? :)

3. Amaryllis
    11/04/14 at 15:30

I do love seeing people take a genre such as pin up, and make it fit them and their own views/ideals/beauty type, instead of passively trying to conform. And I’m all for seeing more strong confident photoshoots, I think there is a very interesting shift and growth in confidence coming through from the first photos that you posted to the ones that you are doing now. It’s wonderful to see :)

4. 11/04/14 at 16:49

These are FABULOUS. Really love the ensemble you put together, as well as the video!

5. Emily
    11/04/14 at 21:51

That girdle is one of the first more-expensive lingerie pieces I ever bought, and I am so fond of it too. I also prefer a more aggressive pinup, even if it doesn’t match the usual pin-up style. You’ve talked about the passiveness of many commercial lingerie images compared to KMD photos before, and I’ve started to really notice the difference, and how much less interested I am in the latter. Or maybe I just really like KMD! >.<

6. Martha
    11/04/14 at 22:36

You make it look so easy! I bought my first garter belt for Valentine’s this year and was really struggling to get the back ones on!! I was about to ask for help when I finally got it!

Practice, practice I guess??

7. Mimi
    12/04/14 at 17:02

It’s great, Cora, so see that you are pushing yourself to try on different personalities, along with your different lingerie outfits. That’s half the pleasure, for me: I’m a strong, down-to-earth gal, and I have lingerie/undergarment ensembles ranging from dainty, frilly lace to leather and chains, and everything in between. When I put on a particular outfit, I can feel my mood shift to match—it’s fun stuff!

Another tip for that rear garter: I loosen the buckle all the way down, so the garter is its full length and doesn’t fight me; then I tighten it up after I’ve secured the clip. (Or I just stand there and let my partner do the honors!)

8. Jadi
    12/04/14 at 21:05

The KMD girdle is absolutely lovely! I too found garters a bit of a challenge at first but that was decades ago. And it doesn’t really take much practice to make them easy. The video is fantastic! You are much more impressive in the venue than in photos or print. Thanks so very much for TLA!

9. Thursday
    13/04/14 at 8:43

Totally agree on your point about traditional pin-up, and how it can have a narrow range of expression. Personally, I do like the playfulness and softness of the tradition, and whilst I do think you can shoot stronger, more forthright emotions by adapting the style, it can be hard to make that leap. You can bring to mind Bettie Page as a classic pin-up who was often no-nonsense, but the association with kink is also too strong for some. If a woman appears strong and in control in an image, it can also veer into modern men’s mag territoty. Nothing wrong with that if that’s what you’re into, but it still leaves me with the question of how do you portray strength, assertiveness and elegance? Mostly, like you, I am thinking aloud, but these are qualities I also enjoy being portrayed.

Also, it’s 5+ years for me in garter experience, and 99% of the time, I just “allow” my partner the pleasure of doing up the rear straps…

10. 14/04/14 at 20:05

Cora,

I always fumble in the league from the back of the thigh. Very nice, this model with three leagues. Fantastic.

loved,

XoXo
    Paula

11. Martin
    16/04/14 at 8:34

No, no, no, please don’t be telling ladies how to fasten the rear suspenders :( It is a joy of getting ready that I have that little job, and of course straightening the seams :)

Martin