Lingerie Addict Exclusive: Sparklewren by Jenni Hampshire

Ting

Whenever a designer asks if they can send me an exclusive, the answer is almost always yes. And when that designer is Jenni Hampshire, of Sparklewren fame, the answer is most definitely yes. Many of you know that we really enjoy supporting independent designers here on TLA; I personally see it as part of our mission to feature talent that’s apart from the mainstream. But I won’t deny that mission is made roughly a thousand times easier when a small, indie brand is doing work that quite literally takes your breath away.

This new mini-collection from Sparklewren (made with the assistance of intern, Emiah Couture), makes use of the finest corsetry coutil in “mink” and assorted French laces. Inspired by both antique and couture corsetry, these dreamlike corsets are scattered with freshwater pearls, crystals, beads, and quartz. As always, Sparklewren accepts unique, custom commisions. However, Jenni Hampshire did reveal that the underbust patterns shown here may be soon developed into standard-sized (yet still made-to-order) options. Modelled by Tingyn and shot by InaGlo Photography, Sparklewren’s new collection was photographed at the brand’s own premises in Birmingham UK.

What do you think of the new collection? If money were no object, would you purchase a piece from Sparklewren?

Ting

Ting

Ting

Ting

Ting

Ting

Ting

5986 Ting mid mon WEB

Ting

TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestGoogle PlusFlickrStumbleUponYouTube

1. Evija
    25/03/14 at 9:23

I can’t say I’m entirely comfortable with the fact that the overbust is obviously either too small, an imperfect fit or.. I don’t even know, but the slight quadraboob is a bit odd given that the model doesn’t seem to have a full bust.
    Or maybe I haven’t worn an overbust in a very long time, or maybe it’s the pose..
    And, to me, the silk tap pants look a bit too creasy. Yes, silk does that but aren’t samples supposed to be brand new and super neato-burrito?
    And while I have no doubt about Sparklewren’s talent & garment quality, I just think the images could be better. Or maybe I’m too spoiled with all the lovely indie works of art we usually see here on TLA :)

2. 25/03/14 at 10:14

Oh my goodness, I think these images are divine! I love the use of the lace and net to create the unconventional veiled images, and the subtlety of the colours; to me the whole thing just feels so ethereal, sort of like a dream I wouldn’t want to wake up from. I can’t see the creases in the tap pants personally, but I know from experience silk satin can be incredibly hard to photograph, with light and shadow and so on, it’s just the nature of the fabric and the way it behaves on the body sometimes. I am absolutely smitten with that lace capelet, and the top corset with the gold lace and jewels. Beautiful!

3. Maria
    25/03/14 at 10:18

Well i dont think the corsets are custom fit to that model, if it were i am sure they would fit better. Lovely work as always! My only complain is that on her photographs you can never see much detail. I mean i am sure theres much more hiding to her layering pieces. Some closeups withouth many filter wouls be great!

• 25/03/14 at 14:57

Thanks Maria! Yes, photoshoots samples are generally not bespoke to the model and I don’t actually favour retouching to make garments fit “perfectly”… I like the “push and pull” of a garment that’s slightly tight here, slightly loose there (especially for artistic collaborative shoots like this) as I personally feel it is much more sensuous, beautiful and interesting than airbrushed Look Book images with “perfect” fit.

I do always use detailed close-ups for the background of my website, it’s *almost* as good as studying them in real life! Right now the website is being updated so there’s nothing to see, but here is an example on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152553224359418

Hope you like :-)

• Maria
        25/03/14 at 21:14

Yes that is a lovely sample! I am a fan of your page of course and i see your updates regularly. I would suggest perhaps a little digital camera to have at your worksop so you can phorograph all the different pieces you have in good quality when photographers arent avaiable. I just really wanna see more detail detail detail! :) Its your fault really for making such lovely layered pieces! haha

4. 25/03/14 at 14:40

What I love about the emergence of beautiful corsetry like this is how corsetry has become something women can wear to feel beautiful and strong, rather that compressed and controlled. This mini-collection certainly seems to further that tradition with its soft fabrics and lace that appears to make the pieces both stunning to look at and luxurious to the touch. Couture corsets have become one of my favorite things to place in the “someday when I have the money” category and these will certainly make that list.

Thanks for bringing this to us :)
    -Kathleen

5. 25/03/14 at 14:48

Oh if money were no object, of course! I love the one in the top photo, with all the beading. The photography is divine too :)

6. 25/03/14 at 17:47

InaGlo Photography is still my unbeatable fave. So much magic is caught on camera. It oozes magic! Sparklewren has outdone herself again, everything looks like it oozes and overflows with elegance and sumptuousness. A perfect pairing <3 what inspirational women we have to look up to <3

7. Jen
    25/03/14 at 21:08

I love Sparklewren corsets and of course I would purchase one if money were no object! That being said I’m not really a fan of these images, they look a little like an instagram filter was slapped on a little too heavily. The images may have artistic merit, but if I have to squint and tilt my screen to get a good look at the subject I don’t consider them good product shots

8. 26/03/14 at 1:49

They aren’t product shots. Jenni has fantastic detail shots and catalog shots out there, these are pure beauty, elegance, and a dream. I’d call these editorial shots and this is what makes me feel like I must own one.

9. Auna
    29/03/14 at 17:59

If I could, I would definitely buy one or two (or five) of these beautiful corsets! I love the color choices, the shapes and the delicate patterns. I can only say they are functional works of art, and I look forward to having a few of my own to show off!