Highlights from Lingerie Fashion Week A/W 2014: NaïS Lingerie

Nais Lingerie - 8

For me, the indie designers are where all the interesting stuff happens at LingerieFW. After all, the entire point of a Lingerie Fashion Week is to showcase that unique mix of lingerie plus fashion, so I’m looking for collections that are dynamic, compelling, and have an unique and interesting point of view. As press, that same, identical t-shirt bra I’ve seen for three seasons in a row is not interesting to me at an event like Lingerie Fashion Week. There’s a place for that, of course, but it’s the tradeshow floor…not the runway.

Today’s featured LingerieFW designer, NaïS, is a brand I’m not as familiar with…though I have encountered them for a couple of markets now. The NaïS fabric story was very fresh, though I found the actual silhouettes to be fairly straightforward and uncomplicated. The “stickiest” piece of the entire collection for me is that amazing ikat jumpsuit (shown above). Not only does it summarize the entire NaïS aesthetic in one go, I also believe it’s the most editorially friendly piece in the collection and the one with the greatest crossover appeal (I could see it, for example, selling well on ASOS). It’s also on-trend in that it works equally well as loungewear or outerwear; you can dress it up or dress it down easily.

On a broader note, I’m also glad that Lingerie Fashion Week has a place and a space for indie designers. NaïS strikes me as a lifestyle brand, combining the bohemian and eclectic with the modern and architectural. And while this collection pushes the NaïS aesthetic into a very positive direction, I can’t help but feel that the designer, Anaïs Bouchard, hasn’t quite arrived at her final vision for the brand. There’s still a bit of developing and growth that needs to happen…which is not necessarily a negative and is in fact perfectly normal considering the rather short lifetime of the brand so far. Suffice to say, I am very excited about what’s to come for this particular designer next market season.

A couple of final notes…I thought this collection presentation was styled beautifully and with quite a bit of thoughtfulness. There’s a cohesive look here, a singular viewpoint that helps bring the observer into NaïS’ world. I believe this is exactly the kind of designer and presentation format LingerieFW is best suited for. My only complaint is that I couldn’t get an up-close look at any of the pieces on the models (you can learn a lot about a garment from the way it lays on the form), and many of these items just aren’t as striking on the hanger. However, that’s not so much a critique of the designs as it is of the crowds, so it’s neither here nor there.

What do you think of NaïS Lingerie A/W 2014? Are your impressions of the collection the same as mine? I’d love to hear your thoughts.

All photos copyright of The Lingerie Addict.

Nais Lingerie - 16

Nais Lingerie - 14

Nais Lingerie - 15

Nais Lingerie - 17

Nais Lingerie - 18

Nais Lingerie - 19

Nais Lingerie - 20

Founder and Chief Editor of The Lingerie Addict. I started TLA in small studio apartment in 2008. Since then, my little site has become the leading lingerie blog in the world, and it's been featured in Entrepreneur, Forbes, CNN, Time, Today, and Fox News. I believe lingerie is fashion too, and that every woman deserves gorgeous underpinnings that help her feel comfortable and confident. Body snark free zone since 2012.

TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestGoogle PlusFlickrStumbleUponYouTube

1. Elizabeth
    19/03/14 at 5:10

I’m a HUGE fan of that beautiful green bra and the black bodysuit (I believe that’s the correct word) with the mesh sides. Fantastic stuff, I’ll have to check them out! Thanks. :)

2. 19/03/14 at 7:19

That’s the perfect hipster chique I like to combine with black for my everyday (outer)wear. I love them! Will definitely have to look for them. And the fabrics look so soooooft, and if I see correctly there’s a lot of cotton jersey stuff, right? I’m ALWAYS on the lookout for cotton underwear, since a lot of people get rashes from lace or certain synthetics (sad face).

3. Love love love the body suits! I wish more women would buy these for their boudoir fashion shoots. I will direct clients here so they can see just how beautiful they are. Thanks for sharing!

4. 19/03/14 at 11:09

Ok, so I never knew there was a lingerie fashion week.

The jumpsuit is interesting. I definitely think of the jumpsuit more as outerwear.

I like the sheer panel on the black body suit.

• 19/03/14 at 20:28

A lot of people are digging the black bodysuit! And those gorgeous emerald green lace pieces (the other bodysuit and bra set). I agree with you about the jumpsuit though; if pressed to make a decision, I think I’d be more likely to qualify it as outerwear.

5. Kassy
    19/03/14 at 20:43

I am not a fan. I like almost all of the one-piece items, but all the two piece outfits look really poor fitting. In my opinion the green bra does not flatter the model, the pink long line bra does not look like it supports the models breasts, and the high waist panties are not done in a flattering way. Many designers can’t design a high waist, and the panties just look like diapers to me.

As a designer, I am incredibly picky when it comes to quality, the pattern, and how flattering the garment is on me. When I see a garment that is unflattering on the model on the website, it turns me off of the rest of the collection.

That being said, the black bodysuit is great, and would be great worn as a regular fashion garment as well… I could see it tucked under any shape of skirt or high waist trousers.

What does the back of the black bodysuit look like?

6. Evija
    21/03/14 at 5:35

I did think about commenting earlier but didn’t, but I think I will.
    I don’t know what’s wrong with this collection, but something is. If your designs make people feel like something isn’t, right, they’re poorly designed. The green bra is lovely but it really made me think what kind of bra really is it – is it underwire? Isn’t it? It’s just that the shape is so odd I can’t tell.
    And the pink set with the high-waist panties and the strapless bra is plain awful. Maybey they could’ve picked a different model, but I shouldn’t be wondering here if the bra really is intended to look like it’s falling down. Because now it looks like that, and it isn’t a good look.
    These kind of flaws in a huge industry event really make me doubt their capabilities. Even if they have other stuff. :/