Let’s Frolic!: DIVA Magazine Swimwear Shoot

DIVA_Magazine_2

I’m super excited about today’s blog post, fellow addicts. A month or so ago, I found out that DIVA Magazine, Europe’s leading lesbian and bisexual mag, ran a photoshoot featuring women of various sizes in awesome swimwear. I really liked thephoto shoot because it showed multiple ways of being a woman, and that being “feminine” isn’t always about being super frilly and girly (I have to confess, I’m a bit over a pastels, polka dots, and frills at the moment).

Jane Czyzselska, the editor of DIVA, says their magazine is “committed to representing women in all their beautiful variations from size to age, race and ability,” a mission TLA supports wholeheartedly. Jane goes on to say  that Bella [Qvist], the shoot’s stylist, “came to me with the idea of a swimwear shoot that was set in a Pierre et Gilles style magical nocturne where everyone is beautiful, regardless of age or size or gender expression and actually, in my ideal world, it’s a place where some people don’t really mind if they’re not considered beautiful because why should ‘looking’ beautiful be such a cornerstone of being a woman?” I don’t know about you, but I think we could stand to see a bit more of this.

For behind the scenes photos from the photoshoot, as well as a video, check out Bella Qvist’s blog here. The photographer is Shirlaine Forrest with hair and makeup by Claire Ardern. Brands featured include Race Point, Simply Be, COW Vintage, Kiss Me Deadly, A New Shop, and Evans (P.S. Please support those brands who support diversity!), and you can find information about downloading digital backissues of DIVA magazine here.

What do you think of this photoshoot? I wish it was the sort of thing you didn’t have to go to a “niche” magazine to find.

DIVA_Magazine_3

DIVA_Magazine_5

DIVA_Magazine_4

DIVA_Magazine_6

DIVA_Magazine_7

DIVA_Magazine_1

TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestGoogle PlusFlickrStumbleUponYouTube

1. Megan Catherin
    01/10/13 at 19:31

I love the shoot, and the concept of diversity. I must say my favourite image is the one of the model cuddling the teddy bear… the playful hint of a smile. Amazing job all around.

• 03/10/13 at 15:06

That’s me :) Thank you!

2. 01/10/13 at 19:47

I love this! I too wish this type of shoot didn’t have to go in a “niche” magazine.

3. daisy
    02/10/13 at 18:59

I very much like your comment reminding us we shouldn’t have to turn to a niche to find something like this. when I flip through the pages of LOVE magazine they often feature an array of sexual orientations and ‘types’ of women but its always with the intention to shock. the only reason their will ever be a transsexual gracing their pages or a full figured woman in their editorial shoots will be to say ‘hey. we’re LOVE and we’re fut’n crazy’. I would be hard pushed to view it as acceptance of differences. and that’s so tragic.

4. Annmarie
    03/10/13 at 1:32

As a bigender person, one who toggles between female and male identity and vise versa, I applaud you and Diva Magazine for putting this in the public domain.
    Despite Vladimir Putin and our very own immature, backward Republican party the lines around gender and sexuality keep blurring and will continue to do so much to anyone’s relief. Live your own interpretation of that subject and let others do the same!

5. 03/10/13 at 21:50

Thanks for all the comments it means a lot, the whole team were great to shoot with! In keeping with the theme of the shoot, the models in these images are real women with true natural beauty, and have had no cosmetic photoshopping or airbrush work. Wish more magazines would follow suit!

6. 07/10/13 at 18:32

I loved the shoot. Bought the magazine because a friend’s dance company was featured in that issue and was delighted to see, not only Kiss Me Deadly swimwear, but also a wonderfully diverse and happy group of models in that shoot. More of this please!