5 More Awesome Choices for Comfy Panties

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.

Last year, I wrote an article about one of my personal passions – comfy knickers. I know a lot of people talk about the comfort factor when it comes to bras and shapewear and hosiery, but to me, comfortable underpants are pretty important too. I hate knickers that bind and twist and bunch and dig, and since there’s about a 12 inch different between my waist and the fullest part of my hips (it’s all on my backside), I’ve had to cope with a lot of really, really uncomfortable panties.

I think the whole comfy knicker issue becomes even more important during the summer months, especially if you live in a humid area of the country. I used to live in Georgia, where is it sweltering hot and incredibly muggy for the entire season, so having underwear that can breathe and keep you cool and comfortable (and your intimate parts in good health!) is crucial. If you feel just as strongly about good underwear as I do, this post for you. Like the first installment, all the pieces on this list have been machine-washed. Multiple times. This is the future; I’d like to be able to toss my underwear into the washing machine, please. Oh! And everything on this list has been purchased repeatedly with my own money; no review samples here.

Hopeless Bamboo 'Jeanne' High Waisted Knickers

Hopeless Bamboo ‘Jeanne’ High Waisted Knickers – $42.10

Hopeless Lingerie High Waisted Bamboo Knickers – I own four pairs of this particular knicker, in multiple colors, and it has become one of my go-to panties, especially when I’m wearing maxi dresses. Bamboo is an unbelievably soft and breathable material, and honestly, I prefer it to cotton when it comes to warm weather. The cut on these is exceptionally comfortable and, best of all, they’re all custom made. That means if you’re outside of the “typical” size range in either direction, you’re still covered. I know these knickers are probably a bit pricey, compared to other names, but I think they’re more than worth the cost. I bought my first pair 2 or 3 years ago, and it has held up beautifully.

ClareBare Roulette Cinched Panty

ClareBare Roulette Cinched Panty – $32.00

ClareBare Roulette Cinched Panty – Even though I’m only posting a photo of one of ClareBare’s bamboo knickers, I actually own three different styles – the cinched panty (shown above), the lace-edged hipster, and the bamboo jersey boyshort. What I’m about to say here applies to all three. I purchased these panties on a lark before my honeymoon because I wanted to pack light, but I also wanted comfortable, high quality lingerie…especially for any outdoor adventures. ClareBare more than fits the bill, and I find myself reaching for at least one pair of these every week. Like Hopeless, ClareBare’s knickers are made from bamboo jersey which I think is the perfect summer undergarment fabric. They’re also a bit more modern cut, so if you prefer the style of bikinis, boyshorts, and hipsters, these are perfect for you. In addition, ClareBare can create custom sized garments.

Between The Sheets 'Come Out and Play' Boyshort - $36.00

Between The Sheets ‘Come Out and Play’ Boyshort – $36.00

Between The Sheets ‘Come Out and Play’ Boyshort – Like a lot of new items I decide to take a chance on, I purchased my first pair of these shorts on clearance sale. I’ve worn Between the Sheets before, so I expected good work, but what I didn’t expect was just how much I would love this. My experiment led to repeated purchases (you know it’s good when I spend my money a second time). I feel like there’s something special about the way this boyshort is sewn that makes it so comfortable (I want to say it’s because it’s seamfree, but I don’t think that’s the entire story); like the two names above, this is a knicker I reach for again and again. It comes in a ton of fun colorways, and if you’re not a boyshort fan, it’s also available in a bikini style (which I haven’t tried). Between The Sheets runs from XS thru L, but their generous cuts accomodate up to an XL. This panty is made of modal.

Natori Bliss Briefs (via Nordstrom) -

Natori Bliss Briefs (via Nordstrom) – $18 each or 3/$45

Natori ‘Bliss’ Briefs – I tried my first pair of Natori Bliss Briefs on a lark a few months ago (they always run a 3/$45 deal, and I needed new knickers), and now I’m hoooked. These briefs are made of a very thin, very light, very comfortable cotton. I think they work especially well under jeans and work pants (I know sweating in professional gear was really one of the worst things of summer). They also come in a bunch of seasonal colors, so they’re on sale pretty regularly (though the 3 for $45 deal is always available). If you want to change up from the cotton, this style is also available in a very pretty, very comfortable stretch lace. But since this thread is about warm weather knickers specifically, I just thought cotton was a better fit for this article. Sizing runs S, M, L. If you have a high waist-hip differential (like myself), you may want to size up.

Fleur't 'Lulu' Boyshorts

Fleur’t ‘Lulu’ Boyshorts (via Journelle) – $35

Fleur’t ‘Lulu’ Boyshort – The last name on this list, Fleur’t is known for making straightforward, no fuss, stretch cotton knickers in a wide range of colors. I tried these on the recommendation of a friend, and I’m glad I did. One quick note about sizing, most places sell this panty in sizes XS/S, S/M, and M/L. You just want to ignore that second letter and treat the first letter as the actual size. There’s also a L/L size available (that’s the size tag in mine), but it doesn’t appear anyone online sells that size. HerRoom does have L/XL, which I’m guessing will fit the same as my L/L, but I’m not sure. Anyway, I’m not a fan of split sizing like that, so I wanted to fill you in. This panty retails in the $32 to $35 range.

When it comes to the warmer weather months, which knickers do you recommend? Share your favorites in the comments!

TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestGoogle PlusFlickrStumbleUponYouTube

1. AE
    09/07/13 at 5:02

Some of those look pretty nice but for some reason I’m reluctant to spend much on a pair of panties when I wouldn’t hesitate with a bra. I only buy natural fabrics (cotton or bamboo) because synthetics give me rashes and feel uncomfortable (especially in the summer) and I can get those for much less. I have about four dozen pairs of the exact same black $20 panty and they usually last about five years. If I could get panties which matched my bras but were made of fabrics I can wear, I’d consider paying more for them. I’ve always wondered why lingerie companies don’t make them, but instead make these uncomfortable panties even to match everyday bras.

• 09/07/13 at 13:53

Where are you getting your knickers? I’m always looking for more sources.

• AE
        10/07/13 at 9:01

My most recent ones were actually from the Polish brand Melissa, which sells an ‘Eco’ line of linen and cotton bras and underwear to match. The bra isn’t perfect for me (it’s a little flat; it would probably be better for a shallow shape) but it is quite comfortable in the weather I’ve been experiencing lately. Besides, I could actually get matching panties for once! Here’s the link: http://www.melissa.com.pl/ENG/kolekcja/model.php?m=Melissa0342&id=419&idK=17&idR=1&idW=16

Everything else I own is really old, but I buy undies and socks (socks are bamboo) in bulk so I don’t expect to run out for another 5 years at least.

2. Khadi
    09/07/13 at 9:35

If you’re on a tight budget I would suggest Aerie. Very comfortable and breathable cotton undies in all styles that machine wash extremely well. And their cheekies style are actually comfortable and do a combo of cotton and lace.

• 09/07/13 at 13:36

Awesome suggestion! I’ll probably do another of these roundups in a few months, and I’ll make sure to include that brand. I also own a few of their panties, and they’re great for everyday.

3. Molly
    09/07/13 at 9:45

I LOVE silk panties in the summertime. I’m on a budget so I only have a few pairs, but they’re my favorites. They breathe so well and dry super quickly.

• 09/07/13 at 13:35

I don’t think I’ve ever owned a pair of silk panties! Or, if I did, they were forgettable. I’ve been really wanting a pair of silk tap pants though, so I may start looking around again. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

4. TJ
    09/07/13 at 22:09

It was your description of your build that sold me on trying some of these brands (especially Between the Sheets). I have similar callipygian gifts and have trouble finding cute panties that don’t instantly turn into a wedgie.

• 09/07/13 at 23:20

Oh good! I’ve had the same issue, especially since most of my hip measurement is in my backside. And I hate wedgies. So I’m glad this article is useful for you. :-)

5. Emma
    09/07/13 at 23:35

This post is exactly what I need!! I have a 10 inch waist to hip ratio, and like you most of that is butt! So underwear is a constant struggle fit wise. Plus I live in Australia, so even though it’s winter now it will be great to habe some of these come summer time. I’m going to try a few of these brands. Thanks!

• 10/07/13 at 0:38

Awesome! One of the designers, Hopeless Lingerie, is in Australia. :-)

6. Jessica
    10/07/13 at 5:07

This is such a great post! I agree that comfy underwear is so often overlooked, and as an Aussie living in an often humid climate, I definitely agree that it’s even more of a necessity in the summer months!
    There’s an Australian brand called Ambra (http://www.ambra.net.au) that do some great underwear and bodywear, including some decently priced organic cotton and bamboo underwear. I actually found them because I was having problems finding a good non-padded soft-cup bra, and theirs delivered in spades – so they’re worth checking out for some of the basics!

7. 10/07/13 at 22:07

Definitely agree with the commenter above who mentioned Aerie – I love their cotton undies, as well as their vintage lace ones (soft lace, great fit!) I’m in love with those hopeless high waisted knickers – I definitely want a pair!

8. Ana
    05/08/13 at 14:54

You know, I’m a definite lingerie addict, but my life improved quite a bit when I just stopped putting on panties underneath tight, thick-fabric pencil skirts in 85+ weather. They’re not as necessary as you might think!

9. Susan Cruz
    16/08/13 at 0:52

Thanks for a forum on breathable quick drying panties for those who live in hot and humid climates. I have , in the past, only worn cotton ( Wacoal Bodysuede Cotton Lace top Brief ,and Knockout Panty ) but today ordered some rayon pairs from Soma of the same style (Soma Super Soft Lace Modern Brief ).
    My original desire was for bamboo but Soma does not make their Embraceable (bamboo) in a brief .
    Soma also makes an XXL (10) which is a plus.
    Can anyone tell me where to find a panty like the Wacoal Bodysuede or the similar Knockout Panty in the bamboo stretch fabric ?

10. Amelia Ashley
    21/10/14 at 6:36

I am in my 20′s, tall and slim. I find wearing thongs and brief panties rather uncomfortable compared to the high waist type I am now buying. I have two girlfriends who have also recently exchanged their thongs and briefs for the 50′s style. My question is, is this style becoming more popular amongst young women.