Does This Pearl Front Thong Shock You? My Encounter with Bracli Pearl Thongs

Fantasy Pearl Thong $74.99

Disclosure: I received this item free of charge for review purposes. All opinions are my own.

“Those pearls go WHERE?!” I thought.  I had come face to face with an eight foot poster of a panty-clad woman’s torso.  At first glance, the panty seemed like a pretty standard stretch lace affair, but at the same time I was struck with one of those vague what’s-wrong-with-this-picture senses that something was not exactly what it seemed.  Second glance.  Aaah, it is a pearl thong, a pearl FRONT thong.

I immediately dissolved in an inward shocked schoolgirlish giggle.  It was like seeing a car driving backward down the freeway or an executive wearing her bra outside her blouse.  Thongs, which not too long ago were considered scandalous, have become commonplace–even desexualized to the point of being classified as an outfit “solution” to prevent VPL.  But this image of a string dividing a lady’s front?  It seemed TOO sexy, and so unexpected I couldn’t look away.

It takes a lot to shock and intrigue a lingerie trade show regular.  But Bracli did it.

After some time sidling up to the poster and then examining the actual garment pictured, my surprise turned to awe.  I became enamored of this lacy, pearly panty.  I spent a long time considering it and asking myself how something so overtly sexual, with foreign, rigid components in THAT area could still seem elegant.  As a lingerie designer, I think a lot about what good taste is; how do you define something that is context-based, inchoate, emotional, and personal?  And how come classic looking components can sometimes coalesce into something tacky when misconstructed or misused (think red lipstick and decolletage at a funeral), while on the other hand a pearl front thong like this one from Bracli can flirt with scandal but ultimately land on the side of elegant good taste?

In this case it has to do with the fine quality of the materials as well as the whole brand concept, which together elevate each product to a higher realm of sensuality, mystery and luxury.  According to its US representative, Bracli exclusively uses pearls from Mallorca, Spain and Spanish-made lace (launching in 2014, lace from Calais, France, and limited edition fresh water pearls–ooh, bumpy!)

And what about the name?  It’s a creative word compounded of two Spanish ones: BRAga and CLItoris (underwear and clitoris).  According to its website, “Bracli is the result of combining intimate clothing with the subtle stimulation of the most sensitive parts of a woman’s body.”  Luis Alvarez, Bracli’s inventor who patented the design in 1996, writes, “However, there is a stimulus that is more important than just the physical, more intense than the soft rubbing of the pearls, which is that Bracli stimulates the imagination and invites you to imagine. It is an invitation that is extended not only to the woman who wears Bracli, but also to whoever wants to share this experience as an accomplice, as a confidant… The excitement is contagious to all who participate in this pleasureful experience.”

My own participation in this pleasureful experience began when a Bracli Body Pearl Thong ($84) arrived in the mail.  The glossy scented black box hinted at sensual delights contained inside, and beckoned irresistibly for me to open it and try it on immediately.  I can’t remember the last time I was so excited to try on lingerie.  I felt like I was entering mini-outer space, thrilled to be experimenting in a new realm and maybe a little nervous about the physical sensation that might accompany it.  Even in my fugly home glasses and linty socks, I felt totally transformed.

I think the most important job of lingerie is to make its wearer FEEL sexy, followed secondarily by helping her look sexy.  Bracli is incredible because not only does the novelty of it delight its wearer into imagining herself differently in it, but also, physically, Bracli thongs do not let her forget she’s wearing it.  Some thongs are sexy; Bracli is sex.

Bracli Body Pearl Thong $84.99

Okay, so we know I’m a fan, but I would be remiss in this review if I didn’t mention a few things about Bracli that I think have great potential for improvement.  My bodysuit fit perfectly from the hips down, but the placement of the stretch lace straps caused gapping at the waist on me as it does on the model in the photo.  It might be a more flattering garment if the points of connection between the straps and panty portion were adjusted–though I’ll also add that “flattery” is not the main concern of this garment, and any eyes on a woman wearing it would probably not be bothered by this fit issue.

If one were wearing a thong instead of the Bodysuit, this fit problem would be a nonissue.  Bracli’s strength, I think, is in its mastery of the pearl thong, which can be bought individually in several styles and colors or with a matching bra.  I did not try any bras on, but the cuts and fits of these appear in photos not necessarily the strength of the collection.   In the future, I would love to see a broader range of silhouettes from this brand, since it has so much power and appeal.

Classic Bra and Thong Set $134.99

There’s also a menswear section!  I would love to hear your thoughts on Bracli’s pearl thong — are you as excited as I am about this innovation?  Would you wear it?  What do you think of it on a man?  For more information, visit www.bracli.us

Perlseo Pearl Thong for Men $69.99

Laura a.k.a. Lola Haze

I’ve loved lingerie since before that was reasonable. I taught myself drawing, designing, and sewing, and after graduating from Harvard with an English degree, immediately went to work disregarding it and following my passion for fashion. After a few years designing for a big company, I went off on my own and started Lola Haze TM, (named after the title character in “Lolita,” my favorite book). Lola Haze is playwear for the bold woman who loves fun and dresses for herself! I feel happy and lucky that I get to love my job so much, and am thrilled to share my lingerie enthusiasm with The Lingerie Addict!

TwitterFacebook

1. 10/05/13 at 6:58

Those would make fun photoshoot pieces. Just sayin’. Model thinking? XD

• 10/05/13 at 11:14

Agreed — they’re really fun. When I was choosing photos for this article from the library of images Bracli sent me, I limited myself to ones that didn’t prominently feature front shots, even though those were the ones that showed the product off best. If you were taking pictures just for yourself (i.e. not to post on the internet), you could take great shots from every angle.

2. 10/05/13 at 9:40

I think it’s a nice idea but I’m disappointed by the execution – much prefer Shell Belle’s take on the pearl thong: http://www.coco-de-mer.com/products/shell-belle-please-me-pearl-thong/ – there’s a lot more potential if they move away from that stretch lace!

• 10/05/13 at 11:18

Karolina — I guess we designers think alike! I agree that there’s a lot of potential for Bracli to innovate in their silhouettes. I’m also a fan of Shell Belle in general –thanks for including that link.

3. 10/05/13 at 10:50

There is nothing like the original. I have seen other brands take Bracli’s original thong as inspiration but it will never be the same. Bracli classic pearl thong has been a best seller at BBB for 6 years in a row, customers call it “the magical thong”. :)

• 10/05/13 at 11:20

“Magical thong!” I know your customers at BellaBellaBoutiqe.com are quite discriminating and know their lingerie, so this is quite an endorsement. Love it. Thanks for letting us know.

4. heather
    10/05/13 at 11:01

I saw a pair of pearl thongs just like these yearsss ago and I’ve always been intrigued. .. that price point seems high tho… unless they’re using real pearls

• 10/05/13 at 19:37

Yes, these are real pearls harvested in Spain! Up close they look and feel a lot nicer than fakes would.

5. 10/05/13 at 11:26

Sorry Karolina I have to disagree. I think that the Shell Belle looks cheap.

6. Leila
    10/05/13 at 12:22

I would’ve liked to hear more about the fit/comfort of the thong…are the pearls smooth and is it relatively comfortable on? Some are made pretty cheaply and there is a seam where the fake pearl is glued together which can be irritating. I’m curious to hear more about the quality and fit considering these are real pearls. Has anyone ever tried Myla’s version? I think the lace quality is much better but I’ve never tried it on.

• 10/05/13 at 19:42

These are comfortable because there are no jagged edges — this is one advantage of real pearls. But you really can’t forget you’re wearing them, and that is the point, after all, right? The fit is snug, so the string of pearls is not just sort of hanging there — it’s right up against you. It’s fun for what it does, but I wouldn’t go play ultimate frisbee in them.

7. 10/05/13 at 13:12

I’m intrigued by the idea. I’ve never been a fan of thongs though. They’re just not comfortable. These seem to be made with & for a different purpose, which changes things. Love the bra!

8. Diane
    10/05/13 at 16:48

I have one of these, bought it while a (now ex) boyfriend and I were going through a bit of a running gag about pearls after he’d bought me a pearl necklace and we found the implications sort of hilarious. It makes me feel incredibly sexy, especially wearing it out under “mundane” clothes and attempting to go to dinner or a movie. Nobody knows it’s there besides me, and usually the person I’m with because it can cause some very distinct fidgeting movements. It’s definitely not practical, but it does what it does incredibly well.

I would absolutely recommend people go with one of the luxe brands that use real pearls, and be careful about cleaning it off when you remove it because sweat (and other bodily fluids) can break pearls down. The cheaper varieties, as Leila mentioned, tend to use cheap plastic pearls that have awful jagged seamlines on them. Definitely something you don’t want rubbing up against such delicate, sensitive skin.

9. Caitlyn
    10/05/13 at 21:14

Ooooh… Very few things have me blushing with anticipation but I am absolutely flushed from head to toe. This might just have to be my birthday splurge this year… ;)

• Laura a.k.a Lola Haze
      11/05/13 at 9:46

Definitely worth the splurge…happy early birthday!

10. Wavi
    12/05/13 at 14:12

I want to give a man opinion.

I think the bracli is good innovation, and it’s sexy, very sexy. It’s a kind of lingerie different and not so common, and with the idea in mind of excite everyone, who wear it and they partner.

I bought one for my wife, and her opinion is not too bad, that’s good because she didn’t like so much this kind of “extreme” lingerie. In consequence her opinion is positive, but she wears it on very special occasions.

As I bought a Bracli for my wife, I bought also one for me. I have, and wear sometimes a Perlseo. I have no problem with wear any kind of lingerie, included lace lingerie. The pearls are smoth and confortable, and the stretch lace it’s confortable too. For me there’s only a cons, there is only a size and it is too big for me, so it not fits perfect for me. I feel sexy too when I wear it, but my wife say she didn’t like the lace in a man……, maybe a Perlseo with any other textil different of lace, will be a good option.

11. 13/05/13 at 12:31

I will have to order a pair of Braclis before Mayor Bloomberg imposes a ban!

12. 01/07/13 at 1:54

Not only do these Bracli g-strings look provocative but they are also quite stimulating.
    Would not recommend wearing to work though as it can be quite problematic…..!

13. Jacq
    15/08/13 at 0:26

It has been a little time since this post and I’m wondering if people have bought and tried one of these. Any reviews/feedback people?
    I’m really tempted and trying to decide between a single or double strand thong.
    Also, anyone know what online stores offer them (& ship to Australia?)

Thx

14. David
    23/11/13 at 7:35

I must say i am a strait man and I have owned a less expensive pair of double strand pearl thong for some time and love wearing them during sex, i’ve even worn them under a regular pair of undies out on a day of arronds (now i know what all the girls are talking about ! Being a guy it’s hard to find sexy undies for a reasonable price, i’d love to own the mens thong but the super high price & the fact that i know lace panties never seem to last for very long has always stopped me from buying them. Anyway who says crotchless undies have to only be for women ? I love wearing mine and will continue to do so :)

15. Kel
    08/12/13 at 23:18

After the latest Bracli thread, I posted there – but I’ll try this one too. What about the single v double strands- is one better, more comfortable, more intense than the other? Also, can this be worn to dinner and a movie? Or is it too uncomfortable? thanks

• David
      24/12/13 at 12:38

Well, if i may suggest maybe before buying the ferrari of thong panties, make sure you even want to ride in one. Perhaps make a pair from a regular thong and wear them around first to see if you like them, another idea is to just try buying a less expensive pair from e-bay their are manufactures in china that’ll ship anywhere including Austrailia, and the starting bid @ .99 cents even if you don’t like them you won’t have spent $80 finding this out. I assure you they will be uncomfertable sometimes especially at first, and if your not totally shaved, pearl thongs of any brand can pinch skin or pluck any stray hair. I hope this helps :)