3 Up-and-Coming Corsetieres to Watch in 2013

While some old favorites never lose their charm (Dark Garden, Electra Designs, Sparklewren), there are some intriguing newer names that I’ve discovered in the past year.  The following three designers have impressed me with their distinctive, fresh aesthetics, innovative detailing, and technical craft.  Here are the corsetieres I’m looking forward to watching in the coming year.

Alicia Rose
United Kingdom

Following Alicia Rose, I get a sense of delicate femininity: girlishness, if you will (look at all the subtle sweetheart motifs in the images above).  Lots of sheer fabrications, intermixed with an unusual long-strand embroidery in stark, vibrant contrast.  There’s a definite sense of vintage inspiration and bridal styling, but paired with a chic sense of whimsy.

˜˜˜

Neon Duchess
England

Neon Duchess, aka corsetiere Hannah Light, plays a lot with texture and textured silhouette.  Fabrications are layered within panels or stacked in placements such as the hip fins, further dramatizing the already striking corseted silhouette.  In particular, the use of metallic leather seems to be something of a signature.

˜˜˜

Purdy Corsetry
New Zealand

Purdy Corsetry’s approach is a perhaps bit more classic than the above two designers, but I like the subtle twist she puts on traditional looks, and her craftmanship seems top notch, as evidenced by the clean finishing of the miniature heart shaped cutouts.  Purdy’s work also demonstrates intriguing diversity: the graceful, elegant fanned bone channels contrasting with the hard-edged corset spine lacing (I wish I’d thought of it!) or Gaultier-esque anatomically inspired pieces.

What do you think of these new corsetieres?  Whose work are you looking forward to following in the new year?

Marianne

Marianne

Marianne Faulkner is the designer of Pop Antique, a clothing and corsetry line specializing in sustainable materials and comfortable curves. She is based in San Francisco where she earned her MFA in fashion design at the Academy of Art University, and has been a columnist at The Lingerie Addict since 2011.

TwitterFacebookPinterestYouTube

1. 19/12/12 at 15:30

I love all of these! Alicia Rose, in particular, is definitely my style. I love that crazy neon flossing– rare to find something both original and very pretty.

• 16/01/13 at 12:00

I love it when corsetieres push the envelope – I really feel we’re in a new corset renaissance. I also think Alicia Rose’s flossing technique (beyond/as well as her color choice) is interesting and unusual, since it’s usually reserved for the functional short placements at the ends of bone channels.

2. 19/12/12 at 19:59

Love love love all of these! Particularly adore Hannah’s work, so unusual and gorgeous! This post is giving me corset lust again which is a very, very dangerous thing…

• 16/01/13 at 12:00

I live in a perpetual state of corset lust…. ;)

3. 20/12/12 at 6:25

Love this post, I knew of Alicia Rose but not the other two. Will be keeping a close eye (esp with Corset Wekk going on!) x

4. 20/12/12 at 11:34

Oh I have been following Purdy for a long time via FB while the others only after I started using Instagram :D

Would dream of modelling their work as well as owning them!

5. Sara
    20/12/12 at 21:04

Not up and coming but my first Sweet Carousel corset should arrive this morning and I’m obscenely excited! I’ve never had a hobble corset before, I cannot wait.

xo

• 16/01/13 at 12:01

Congratulations! That should be a very interesting change of pace. (Um… literally. But the pun wasn’t intended, originally.)

6. Hannah Light
    21/12/12 at 5:57

Thank you Marianne for including Neon Duchess! :o)

• 22/12/12 at 9:45

Well deserved! <3

• 16/01/13 at 11:58

You’re quite welcome! It’s been my pleasure, following you on Instagram :)

7. mia
    02/09/13 at 6:55

I love Alicia rose. BUT then again she is my sister! So proud of you alicia!!
    xx

8. Bea
    26/09/13 at 7:59

Purdy Corsetry is incredible, and her craftsmanship is impeccable. I have been lucky enough to model for her, and the beautiful blood-red overbust featured here is actually mine. It fits wonderfully and is even more stunning in person! Her corsets always have gorgeous whimsical cotton linings, too – mine has a pattern of chandeliers, birds, and letters. I’m so pleased you featured her here, as she’s such a fantastic corsetier, and a lovely lady in general.

9. AlexaFaie
    26/09/13 at 12:22

I loved seeing Hannah’s work in person at the conference, especially the stacked corsets. I thought it was really clever to layer them up like that and then they also work fantastically well on their own. I enjoyed trying on the sheer silver cincher too. Lovely amount of curve on the hips. <3
    And I've been following Purdy Corsetry for a while now so glad to see her listed up here. Her work is lovely.
    I've not seen Alicia Rose's work before, but it is very intriguing so I will be keeping an eye on her progress from now on!