Naughty Bits: Lingerie News for 10/21/12
- What is society’s issue with women’s breasts? – Within the past few weeks, the news that the average size of women’s bust size has increased is causing a stir. So much so that the Huffington post along with the Guardian have written articles about it. However, the above article asks the question: Why all the fuss over women’s breasts? They’re only breasts, right? Apparently that may not be the case. With recent news of a Canadian teen who has committed suicide after struggling with cyberbullying after topless photos of her were circulated among her friends and family; of pictures of Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, sunbathing topless being published in People Magazine; of the deluge of criticism that came after Janet Jackson’s infamous nipple slip; and the apparent shock of people when a professor at American University breast fed-her sick child during a lecture, we are reminded that the sight of bare breasts is absolute taboo in society. Is it really that serious? What do you think?
- Lingerie brand sells out after mention on ‘Downton Abbey’ – Lucile, a lingerie brand in the UK, has gotten a boost from being mentioned on the popular series “Downton Abbey.” During a recent episode, Dowager Countess of Grantham (Maggie Smith) and daughter in-law Lady Cora (Elizabeth McGovern) briefly mentioned the old-time lingerie brand for a newlywed’s wardrobe. What many didn’t know was the lingerie brand has been recently resurrected. As a result, the company’s sales have risen 48% and site traffic has risen 60%.
- Dita Von Teese’s Von Follies lingerie will be available in Europe and shipping globally soon – Dubbed the “Queen of Burlesque,” Dita Von Teese has announced her Von Follies lingerie will be available in Europe and shipping globally in December according to Stylebob and ASOS. If you live in France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Spain, Germany, The Netherlands, or the UK, you can pre-order here.
- Alessandra Ambrosio wil model $2.5 million Victoria’s Secret Fantasy Bra – At the 2012 Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, Alessandra Ambrosio will have the honor of wearing this year’s Fantasy Bra. Handset with amethysts, rubies and sapphires as well as white, pink, and yellow diamonds in 18 karat rose and yellow gold, the bra also boasts a 20 karat white diamond that sits front and center. At $2.5 million dollars, it is an impressive bra and Alessandra feels “honored.”
- Agent Provocateur to have first fashion show in five years for non-profit – Agent Provocateur will have its first show in five years for the Seven Bar Foundation, a non-profit organization that aims to combat poverty by empowering women through microfinance.
- Can wearing a corset regularly become a new trend in dieting? – The corset, the piece of garment that holds and shapes the torso into a desired shape, has always acted as an external lap band and has aided people with restricting overeating. This was revisited on ABC’s “20/20” with Deborah Roberts being custom fitted for a corset and wearing it for close to a week to see if there was any change in size or eating habits. Even though she went for only six days, she did notice a small change in her eating habits and that her clothes had begun to fell slightly looser. Yet, with all of the positive, there were a few caveats expressed by the medical community, with the biggest ones being that the lungs would be squished 30-60% along with possibly putting kinks in organs. However, this may not be the case. Romantasy Exquisite Corsetry (who fitted Deborah Roberts for her corset), Lucy’s Corsetry, and historical costume blog Mode Historique, all state that the concern of the medical community may simply be unfounded and the criticism for corsets are simply a remnant of the many perpetual myths surrounding corsetry for years. What do you think?