Corsetry on a Budget: 20 Corsets for $155 or Less

Hands down, one of the most popular questions I get asked is “Where can I buy an affordable corset?

And I totally understand the sentiments behind that. Good corsets are expensive, and rightly so. From the materials to the labor, a well-crafted corset costs money…and it’s worth every penny.

But what if you’re new to corsets, and you don’t know if you want to spend upwards of $300 on a custom piece? What if you’re just looking for something nice for bedroom wear or costume wear, but you don’t want to go the Frederick’s of Hollywood route? What if you just want to splurge on a corset, but custom prices are, and always will be, out of reach?

Then this post is for you.

I remember what it was like when I first became interested in corsets. I deliberated for years before spending the money on my very first custom piece (Hi there, SugarKitty!). And in the meantime, while I was deliberating, I managed to buy a whole lot of crap.

A lot of the budget corsets out there are cheap knockoffs. And even the ones that aren’t can be a little disappointing when viewed up close – nothing more than glorified bustiers. And that’s not even getting into all the fly-by-night corset sellers who are really just scammers…the take your money and run kind.

The names listed here are of stores who actually sell what they say they’re selling. Your product will actually get delivered (and in a timely manner) and many of them offer flexible returns besides. I personally own corsets from 4 of the names on this list (True Corset, Scarlett’s Corset, Louise Black, and Timeless Trends) and I know people who’ve bought from (and been satisfied with) the other 5 (Playful Promises, Meschantes, Exquisite Restraint, Fairy GothMother, and Hips & Curves).

Now, I’m not making any claims that these are the best corsets around. They don’t replace having a custom made corset, nor would I recommend tightlacing in any of them. But what they are is a budget-friendly way to try out an real, decent quality, corset without having to worry about getting scammed or fleeced or otherwise taken advantage of.

All together, the corsets listed here can accomodate natural waist sizes of 22″ to 48″ (corset sizes of 18-44). And, as always, just click on the photo to be taken to the place where you can buy.

Timeless Trends Electric Purple Overbust – $149.00

Timeless Trends Black Floral Brocade Overbust – $149.00

Timeless Trends Burgundy Velvet Underbust – $109.00

Scarlett’s Corset Taupe Cotton Underbust Corset – $115.00

Scarlett’s Corset Black Cotton Underbust – $139.00

Meschantes Etoile Underbust – $125 to $140

Meschantes Victorian Overbust – $145 (18″ to 30″ only)

Meschantes Grey Pinstripe Underbust – $149.00

Exquisite Restraint Underbust (includes bra) – $153.50

Fairy GothMother Corset Belt – £85 (app. $137.00)

True Corset Black & White Dot Overbust – $120.00

True Corset Black Satin Overbust – $99.95

True Corset Floral Overbust – $150.00

Playful Promises Red Vintage Stitch Overbust – $149.00

Playful Promises Black Satin Waspie – £60.00 (app. $96.00)

Playful Promise Blush Vintage Stitch Overbust – £70.00 (app. $113.00)

Louise Black Grommet Underbust – $155.00

Hips and Curves Blue Overbust – $149.95

Hips and Curves Baronessa Overbust – $149.95

Hips and Curves La Sirena Overbust – $149.95

Founder and Chief Editor of The Lingerie Addict. I started TLA in small studio apartment in 2008. Since then, my little site has become the leading lingerie blog in the world, and it's been featured in Entrepreneur, Forbes, CNN, Time, Today, and Fox News. I believe lingerie is fashion too, and that every woman deserves gorgeous underpinnings that help her feel comfortable and confident. Body snark free zone since 2012.

TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestGoogle PlusFlickrStumbleUponYouTube

1. Jewel
    27/09/12 at 0:06

Thank you so much for this post! You have been reading my mind! I have been looking for an affordable corset for a while now, and this post has made it alot easier!

2. Esther Galito
    27/09/12 at 4:34

Another great post! Been debating where to get an affordable corset from and has made it easier. One question, what do you think is easier as a start piece an underbust or overbust? I own a couple of waspies (not the best in the world but got me started).
    Thanks!!

• Thursday
      27/09/12 at 6:01

In my experience, getting an off-the-rack overbust that fits well can present a real challenge for some of us. As a small-busted, wide-hipped woman, ready-made overbusts just do not fit me, but underbusts are usually pretty good. If your measurements fall within comfortable range of average sizing models, then you may not have such a problem! Underbusts can allow for a lot of versatile use, but an overbust may be the look and feel you prefer. It’s ultimately what you want to get out of it.

3. 27/09/12 at 7:58

What about Jill Hoverman??

• 27/09/12 at 10:58

She didn’t have any corsets fitting the article criteria in her Etsy shop when I wrote this piece, and so she couldn’t be included.

• 28/09/12 at 3:40

Fair enough. She’s rather busy at the moment. For Halloween and such. I think she’ll only be free again this year end… All I know is that her waist training Victorian underbust is $130-$150.

• 28/09/12 at 11:34

I totally understand. I also own a corset from Jill’s and her store was one of the first places I checked. I just can’t add her to the list if there’s nothing available to look at right now.

4. 27/09/12 at 12:17

I have the Meschantes (Black) Pinstripe Underbust! I LOVE it and they were so great to work with for a custom piece.

Love and thank you for this informative post! I'm not on the market for a new corset at the moment, but when I'm ready this is a great resource as always!

all the best,
    K

• 27/09/12 at 13:17

Thanks for the Meschantes review! Always helpful to have that info. :)

5. 27/09/12 at 12:47

Also corset-story.com / corsets uk (same people). They also have incredible deals and sales.

• 27/09/12 at 13:16

I just don’t trust a $20 corset. Sorry.

• 11/10/12 at 23:38

Knowing what I know now I never would have tried them. I do have to say if you have more of an athletic figure not too curvy, they might be worth checking out. My first corset was form them I wore it for over a year and it has still held up. That being said while I could get the waisted cinched I had severe gaping around the hips and above the waist line. I credit this to my hourglass figure 40-30-44, you shouldn’t have that problem if your waist is closer in inches to your hips and bust!

• 11/10/12 at 23:40

I’m sorry I meant to say; That being said while I couldn’t get the waisted cinched I had severe gaping around the hips and above the waist line.

6. 27/09/12 at 15:32

I own several of their corsets. I also own custom ones. Corset-Story is very good for off the rack corsets. They sell both “fashion” and full steel boned corsets. I wouldn’t trust the fashion ones either and they aren’t really corsets anyway imo. Nor would I tightlace with any of their corsets. But the steel boned ones are very serviceable. I’m assuming from your comment you haven’t tried them?

7. Emily
    11/10/12 at 20:54

I think this post swamped True Corset USA. They’ve been great about it though :P

8. 01/11/12 at 14:09

Hi,

I love your posts. I have just started waist training and bought by fist corset from Lulu and Lush (Fairy Goth Mother).When I tighten the corset, I get a V shape. My measurements are 33-24-37 so it could be due to my small waist.

I asked the store worker why that was and was told that the corset was perfect for me (20 inches). Most reviews I have seen online seem to advocate the view that your corset should look like I I and not V.

Help please.

CAx

9. 17/11/12 at 14:00

Great post treacle. Really useful advice. I always wander when I see really cheap stuff, where its made and how much they are paid. Exploitation is rife in some places and I always ask can they really do it for the money, ethically

10. 23/07/13 at 5:55

Thanks for the great tips. This is truly genuine and informative.

11. Trina
    24/09/13 at 6:50

I was just wondering, is wearing a corset different for women who have given birth recently? Like is there a certain type I should be looking for?