Man Candy – 5 Fashionable Men’s Underwear Brands

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.

Since the late 19th century, women’s lingerie has served as both a functional and provocative tool to enhance a woman’s figure, helping make her feel more confident, powerful, and beautiful. Today’s billion-dollar industry caters to a wide range of styles, tastes, and personalities, all with the ultimate goal in mind – feminine sex appeal. It has revolutionized the way women’s bodies are perceived and, in turn, gained a massive public following as evidenced by the number of brands, blogs, magazines, and videos dedicated to our love of lingerie.

But let’s be honest. The success of this industry would be nothing without men. Men are the ones who are entranced with our bodies in the first place — the reason sexy lingerie was even invented. But in today’s day and age it makes me wonder… why doesn’t men’s underwear serve the same function for us ladies as lingerie serves for them?

Men’s underwear (at least in the United States) has never been anything to write home about. Men are notorious for choosing comfort over fashion and tend to neglect their skivvies in favor of alternate sources of expression. But what if we ladies want to catch a glimpse of a little eye candy once in a while? Why are men so hesitant to spice up their underthings for fear of being labeled and judged? I think it’s about time for a slew of more fashionable men’s underwear brands to gain momentum and add a little fun to this humdrum industry.

With that said, I have highlighted five men’s fashion underwear brands below for your enjoyment. Guaranteed to amp up those basic tighty whiteys and plaid boxers, some of these styles are so cute you may even think of stealing them for yourself!

Frank Dandy
www.frankdandy.com

Created in Sweden nine years ago, Frank Dandy is known for their vibrant prints and bold colors. This trusted brand is big on comfort, and they pride themselves on their unique styles and quality products. In addition, Frank Dandy has grown to offer a wide selection of women’s undies with equally fresh and fun patterns.

Ginch Gonch
www.ginchgonch.com

Canadian-based label Ginch Gonch produces an extensive collection of men’s underwear focusing on funky, tongue-in-cheek designs guaranteed to bring the humor back into the bedroom. Their motto “Live Like a Kid!” sums up the look with their colorful prints reminiscent of the Underoos of our youth.

Pull In

Speaking of Underoos — is your guy nostalgic for those cartooned undies of the past? If so, then Pull In is sure to appeal to his big kid side. From Spiderman to Spongebob, this French label has been outfitting cartoon lovers and comic book fans alike since 2000. They also offer a large selection of pajamas, swimwear, and accessories to complete the look from head to toe.

James Tudor
www.jamestudor.co.uk

James Tudor is a British brand with the knowledge and know-how to outfit today’s man. Their line of stretch cotton underwear is practical enough for everyday wear, but with innovative and functional details that add a fresh take on the basics. Button flies, magnetic closures, and enhanced support make this unique brand a growing favorite among modern men.

Candyman
www.candymanfashion.com

Novelty brand Candyman Fashion focuses on sexy men’s underwear and costumes – the perfect counterpart to many women’s lingerie brands today. While many of the styles are a bit extreme and impractical, Candyman still gets props for offering flashy over-the-top styles that you can’t find anywhere else. It definitely takes a real man to pull off a vinyl boxer brief with matching necktie!

How do you feel about high-style men’s underwear? Would your guy be open to fashion underwear or does he prefer to keep it basic?

Article Tags :
Kristina
Kristina

Lingerie designer and founder of WonderLust Lingerie. I specialize in fashion and trend pertaining to lingerie, sleepwear, hosiery and everything in between. I believe that the right kind of underwear can change your entire outlook for the day so finding a balance between fashion and function is key.

1. Annmarie says:

Just wanted to point out that quite a few men, regardless of their sexual orientation, don’t really need “fashionable men’s underwear” as they already enjoy wearing lingerie for their own reasons: beautiful, sexy, comfortable, different fabrics and colors- you name it.

While this phenomenon may not get that much exposure, and often not a positive one once it does come up, it is certainly out there and have existed for many years.

After all, if women can wear “the boyfriend cardigan” (or T-shirt, jeans, etc) why can’t men wear “the girlfriend lingerie”? Just saying…

2. Hey, hate to call you out on this, but men aren’t the only ones “who are entranced with our bodies in the first place.” Us women who like women may be in the minority, but that’s no reason to go with the majority of the world and just pretend we don’t exist. Not cool.

• Treacle says:

Thank you for pointing that out. As the editor of TLA, I want to apologize for not thinking to correct that exclusionary phrasing prior to publication. And while I know for sure that Kristina did not mean to offend, I also understand how little consolation that is once the offense happens. I appreciate you calling us out on that, and I promise to be more aware of language like that in the future.

Sincerely,
      Trea

3. Hey, hate to call you out on this, but men aren’t the only ones “who are entranced with our bodies in the first place.” Us women who like women may be in the minority, but that’s no reason to go with the majority of the world and just pretend we don’t exist.

4. Drew says:

One thing to look out for with all of these is that sizes -do- vary… I’m barely a XXL in ‘normal’ US sizing (I have a 43 inch waist), and I can’t wear anything from -any- of these vendors above… in fact, one of them called a XXL a 39 inch waist! I ordered from 2(x)ist a couple of years ago–ordered what their website said was a XXL (42-44) and was extremely surprised to get an XXL marked 35-37 inches!

This all goes back to the body modesty and “too big” thing before… we don’t just do it to women…

But, that being said, kudos.. .I’m glad to see more information out there about guys underwear… I’m sure that milady would love to see me in something sexy occasionally… ;)

• Treacle says:

Thanks for the fit advice, Drew! You’re right, sizing is such a wonky thing, and I didn’t know it was that way for men’s underwear too.

• Frank says:

Drew is very correct on sizing, and ‘wonky’ is a perfect term for it, Treacle.

It seems to me some companies are doing the same thing *some* lingerie labels have been doing in only the short time I’ve been buying it for my wife. What they call a 6 could have been a 4 only a few years ago, or to simplify, today’s Large is yesterday’s Medium. Why, I can’t say, but I think Slip of a Girl had one of her entertaining Ranties about this a few years ago.

As far as styles, the more the better. Though, as with Lingerie, it seems some of the Mens’ underwear is more like a costume or a novelty. That’s probably more to specific tastes than as mass-appeal as some lines think they are , but the more the merrier.

I will say there seems to be wildly varying quality. Some brands I’ve tried are worth the extra bucks for fit/comfort, feel of the fabric, finish and over-all quality, and some have no clue. It makes me cautious about buying on-line vs. in-store, but you pay your money and take your chances.

Great post.

5. Tricia says:

I think there’s a problem with the Frank Dandy link. It took me to an error page.

6. Love it! When I was in Japan recently, I saw an amazing manderwear store called Body Wild. I’m not sure if there’s US distribution, but here’s a blog post on them : http://jonellepatrick.me/tag/body-wild/

7. akeripper says:

links are all wrong……

8. Cerise says:

Nice article!

My guy would be open to it (he’s often said he wishes he could dress up for me when he sees me in a new piece of lingerie) but he has a bit of a problem. He is quite well-endowed even before any blood takes a trip south of the border so we’ve had a hard time (NO PUN INTENDED) to find him airlines that have a good track record of not losing the luggage (euphemisms, mwaha). So far I’ve only found 2xist to be the only brand that has worked but it’s range is pretty much just black, white, and some conservative striping.

If in a future article you could cover brands that can help with this issue (whether they be practical wear or fancy wear) for men as well that would be quite awesome. You’re already my favorite lingerie blogger and have helped me find a lot of brands that cater to my not so common bra size, an article or two on that would just be icing on the cake :)