National Lingerie Day: Why Lingerie is Important

3 Different Looks from My Boudoir Shoot with Katrinka’s Secret

Today, April 24th, is National Lingerie Day, a holiday I honestly knew nothing about until roughly 11 p.m. last night. But since I am a lingerie blogger, I feel like I should do something appropriate for the day, so I thought I’d write a post about why I started blogging and why lingerie matters and all that other meta-stuff I never really talk about here.

Though it doesn’t sound particularly empowering, I started lingerie blogging because of a guy. It was my first real, adult relationship,and after a steady diet of Victoria’s Secret commercials telling me how much guys thought lingerie was sexy, I decided to buy a set to impress him. The only problem? I had no idea how to buy lingerie. None.

I researched for several hours that first day, looking for lingerie reviews and bra fitting advice and information on how to choose a garter belt, and ending up pretty much empty handed. I mean, there were articles out there, but most of them either copied the exact same information I’d seen in a dozen other places or seemed more concerned with telling me how AWESOME!™ everything was so I’d buy it from their store instead of giving me an honest review.

But I eventually made my decisions and the first three stores I purchased from were La Magia (now specializing in retro swimwear as For Luna), Girdlebound, and Bare Necessities. The first three pieces of lingerie I purchased (from the same stores) were the Kiss Me Deadly Sirena set, the Rago Lacette Corsolette, and the Falke Lunelle Thigh Highs.

Me at Dragon*Con in 2009. That’s the Sirena bra.

Looking back, I was extremely lucky because I happened to buy three very well made brands from three stores with very good customer service. It’s no exaggeration to say that had my first few experiences been terrible, I may have given up on lingerie entirely (which is part of why I’m so irritated by shoddy customer service today…but that’s for another blog post).

Even though things didn’t work out with that particular guy, I found that I was still interested in lingerie. I loved the way it made me feel. The lace, the nylon, the satin…I enjoyed splurging on these delicate bits of fabric that felt so luxurious against my skin.

I’m not (and probably never will be) able to afford a designer wardrobe, but lingerie made me feel like I could have a taste of the fashionable life. There were so many styles in so many colors, and I could upgrade my outfits with new pair of fashion tights or a lace trimmed vintage slip for far, far less than money a new dress or jacket might cost. I admit, I went a little lingerie crazy those first couple of years, but I wore many of those pieces until they fell to, well, pieces.

But even more than that, lingerie changed the way I felt about myself. It’s hard to describe exactly what I mean, but I’ll try. When a lot of sites talk about lingerie, they focus on how it makes you look to others. But lingerie is more than just a prelude to sex or way to avoid pantylines. Lingerie is one of the ultimate forms of self-expression.

My “Everyday” Lingerie

We don’t always get to present the truest image of ourselves to the outside world. Maybe you’re having a bad hair day or an acne breakout or you have to wear a uniform to work or you’re kitted out in sweats because you’re chasing a toddler or *insert your own scenario here*. But lingerie lets you express who you really are, no matter what you may have to wear on top. And since we’re multidimensional human beings, lingerie lets you express multiple aspects of your personality, even when they don’t always fit with what you need to project to the outside world.

Feeling like a pin-up queen today? Rock those suspender straps. In more erotic mood instead? A 1/4 cup bra and ouvert panty is just the thing. Want to keep things simple? Hello there t-shirt bra and brief. Romantic? A lace trimmed cami and tap pant will do the trick. And the list goes on.

In a world where so many assumptions are made about who and what you are based on the outside, lingerie is a refuge for who you are on the inside. Who you are in all your changing, wonderful, and complex glory.

So…Happy National Lingerie Day. Remember to enjoy those bras and panties. I know I will.

TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestGoogle PlusFlickrStumbleUponYouTube

1. dcsurfergirl
    24/04/12 at 21:43

Happy Lingerie Day to you!

Sometimes it’s not about feeling pretty or sexy. Sometimes it’s simply about wearing something you actually like. I spend way too much time trying to find plus-sized clothing that fits well and looks nice without loud prints, sequins or ruffles. As a result, I have a really basic wardrobe of jeans and t-shirts. Pretty lingerie saves your boring outfit.

Have a great day!

2. Gary Frisch
    24/04/12 at 22:05

Nice column, Treacle. Well said. Nothing is more enticing than a woman in classy lingerie. Happy Lingerie Day!

(love the pics too, btw)

3. Lenore
    25/04/12 at 8:57

Choosing lingerie for the day, or evening, helps me check in with myself. “Who am I today?” Vixen? fluffy wide eyed kitten, athlete? etc. etc. It’s a great way to tune into the marvellous multifaceted jewel of “womaniness” that you are….

4. pinuplover
    25/04/12 at 10:07

There’s nothing like lingerie that makes you feel good!

5. Martin
    25/04/12 at 22:26

Thanks for your column a great read as always For me I can’t resist the fashions of secretsinlace.com. There power net girdles, long sheer gloves, and gorgeous fully fashioned stockings are so lovely to look at. Your photo at dragon on 2009 is an example of class and those gloves are awesome

6. 26/04/12 at 0:02

I asked my girlfriend’s reaction to this post:

*fist pump* ‘YES!’

Can you tell she often has to dress a bit formally? ..outwardly? ; )

7. 26/04/12 at 0:03

By the way – I love your DragonCon outfit!

8. You are truly beautiful my friend, inside AND out=I mean, Just LOOK at those pictures of you!!
    I particularly like the DragonCon outfit xD

This is a wonderful post that I thoroughly enjoyed reading-It’s nice to learn how The Lingerie Addict came about and how it has grown every since then. And not only that, but it’s nice hearing how YOU have grown along with it :)

Happy Lingerie Day {which I didn’t know about either until I read this post LOL}!

9. 26/04/12 at 19:34

I loved reading this – what you say is so true! You really don’t have to worry what someone else thinks when you are wearing something a little out there underneath your ‘normal’ clothes – such a wonderful way to express yourself!

10. LingerieLover
    26/04/12 at 21:35

Treacle,
    As always thanks for sharing. A quick request though, in the future, would you consider captioning your blog photos with information about the lingerie within? Often times when perusing your posts, I stumble across some beautiful lingerie that I would like to know more about, or possibly even own, only to find out that I know nothing about it, or where to find it. Case and point, that beautiful creme 6-strap, high-waisted garter with bows, and a ribbon waist shown in the opening photo of this post. Can you give us some info about the product or where to find it?
    As always… Thanks!

• 26/04/12 at 21:59

Sure! The girdle you’re referring to is by Kiss Me Deadly, though I don’t think it’s made anymore. The cream bra I’m wearing with it is from Myla. The floral bra is from Hopeless Lingerie, and the black lingerie set is from Burdel. All stockings are from Cervin.

• LingerieLover
        30/04/12 at 18:40

Treacle,
        Thanks for the information. No wonder I’m so drawn to that girdle… Kiss Me Deadly continually produces what I would qualify as “my favorite” lingerie, and tends to outweigh all competitors in the closet. I just hadn’t seen/or didn’t recognize that girdle, and it’s quite obviously not in my personal collection. Do you happen to recall what collection that piece was from?

Thanks again!

11. erc09
    27/06/12 at 16:33

Lingerie day – darn I missed it! :) This could be fun – I mean why not, Even if you’re alone – treat yourself, right?

12. 01/02/13 at 23:28

Hears to Lingerie Day 2013.