Lingerie Addict Video: How to Buy a Garter Belt

Kiss Me Deadly “Candy Box” Garter Belt (as seen in the video)

There’s a new video up on The Lingerie Addict YouTube Channel, and it’s all about garter belts (or suspender belts for my UK readers). With Mad Men, Dita von Teese, and, of course, the on-going popularity of Bettie Page, there’s more interest in garter belts now than ever before.

But not all garter belts are created equal so how can you know the difference between a good one and a not-so-good one? Just use the 4 tips from our latest video as your guide:

No time to watch the video? Here are the key takeaways for what to look for:

1. A wide front panel
  2. Metal garter grips and adjusters
  3. Six garter straps
  4. Hook and eye closure in the back with at least 3 hooks and eyes

I hope you enjoy the video and that, if you’re new to garter belts, it helps you shop for one. Ready to buy a garter belt right now? My recommended vendors are Kiss Me Deadly, What Katie Did, and Secrets in Lace (especially the Rago line). And if you have any garter belt advice of your own to share, I’d love to read it in the comments.

Founder and Chief Editor of The Lingerie Addict. I started TLA in small studio apartment in 2008. Since then, my little site has become the leading lingerie blog in the world, and it's been featured in Entrepreneur, Forbes, CNN, Time, Today, and Fox News. I believe lingerie is fashion too, and that every woman deserves gorgeous underpinnings that help her feel comfortable and confident. Body snark free zone since 2012.

TwitterFacebookLinkedInPinterestGoogle PlusFlickrStumbleUponYouTube

1. 30/04/12 at 11:57

Great tips and you come across really well on video Treacle, I look forward to seeing many more :o)

2. Gary Frisch
    30/04/12 at 12:26

Good info, Treacle. Also nice to see you have a YouTube channel. – Gary

3. 30/04/12 at 13:50

Great video, I’m so obsessed with garter belts lately. I’ve been wearing them any time I wear a skirt or a dress.

I have noticed that my stockings tend to run after only one or two uses though. I’ve been buying mostly Berkshire for around $5 a pair from Dollhouse Bettie. Do I need to invest in more expensive stockings if I want them to last?

• 30/04/12 at 13:53

I have definitely found that there’s a relationship between higher quality stockings and how long they last.

4. Annmarie
    01/05/12 at 0:21

This is a great, informative, and a very well done video ; – }

I’m also quite amazed you already have some 300 people watching it in one day!!!

5. 01/05/12 at 10:07

Great video, it’s really helpful. I’ve only ever had suspenders with a skinny front panel and four straps, but I’m going to try something with more stability in the future. Side note: I really like your hair and your dress in the video.

6. Savannah
    01/05/12 at 16:44

Thanks so much for this video! I’m looking into getting a garter belt but had no idea what to look for, so your video is a huuuuuuuge help!

7. vickybelle
    06/05/12 at 10:18

Congratulations on this excellent video. Besides being very professional and well presented, it really drives home the most important things to be considered when buying such an important lingerie piece. As a matter of fact, these four tips are exactly the ones I’ve always watched carefully whenever I’ve bought mine. It’s almost as if I read your mind beforehand! Cheers and thanks a lot for keeping us posted. Warmest regards, Vicky Belle

8. akhMSW
    25/06/12 at 13:04

Hi Treacle,
    Thanks so much for posting this, and for your lovely, warm, and inviting site!

I’ve been wanting to get into wearing these and real stockings for special occasions with nicer outfits, but I most certainly did not grow up seeing my mother wear anything like this. Nylons or knee highs were about as interesting as it gets, and now that I’m fully adult, I sort am at a loss as to where to begin. So I’m wondering- is it possible to get a follow up tutorial on exactly how to put on such garments. I can understand the idea based on pictures of course, and maybe I’m the only one here who hasn’t worn something like this before, but I don’t feel like I should invest the money without even being sure how to wear them –for example, having the belt at your natural waist was news to me! Any pointers you could give would be most appreciated!
    Thanks so much,