7 Beautiful Maternity and Nursing Bra for New Moms

Today’s Ask the Addict feature comes courtesy of two Lingerie Addict readers, Janelle and Alice. Here’s what they had to say–

“Hey there! Any references for nursing bras that aren’t devastatingly ugly?” ~ Janelle

“I just adore your site! It’s been such a great source of inspiration and information over the past year. But I’m pregnant (!) now, and suddenly find that my lovely lingerie collection no longer fits. Can you do a post featuring maternity lingerie? Is there such a thing? Can/should we ever wear lingerie anymore? All I seem to find in my local shop’s maternity section are the strictly utilitarian sort (white & beige) that I wouldn’t want to wear under any circumstances, much less at a wondrous time such as this! Can you also please include information on labels that have plus size maternity lingerie, if any exist?” ~ Alice

First of all, congratulations! Though I’m not a mother (even though I hope to be one day), I know this is a happy, joyful time for you, and you absolutely deserve happy, joyful lingerie. This is a super-great question, and I’m glad you asked it. It’s been nearly two years since our last blog post on maternity lingerie so it’s definitely time for an update.

Today’s pregnant and nursing women don’t have to be resigned to ‘devastatingly ugly bras’ or shades of ‘white & beige.’ There are a quite a few lingerie brands that specialize in maternity and nursing lingerie and several more that produce supplementary maternity and nursing collections.

HotMilk Lingerie and Cake Lingerieare two of the first and most well known lingerie companies for pregnant and nursing women. Honestly, when I look at either of their collections, I don’t even see maternity lingerie…I just see gorgeous lingerie.

Cake Lingerie

HotMilk Lingerie

You! Lingerie and Bella Materna Lingerie also specialize in maternity and nursing bras. I especially love Bella Materna’s new Peacock Lace Collection; it’s so luxurious.

You! Lingerie

Bella Materna

Both Elle Macpherson Intimates and Panache produce maternity/nursing lines as does Figleaves’ in-house brand, Midnight Grace. You can find all three of these at Figleaves.com.

And if you’re a fuller figured woman…don’t worry! You still have the same great options. HotMilk makes bras up to a 42H and Cake Lingerie makes bras up to a 40M. The smallest size for both brands is 32B so most every woman is covered.

Got a question for The Lingerie Addict You can send it to me via e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr. I can’t wait to hear from you!

1. Amaryllis
    11/01/12 at 5:15

The elle macpherson collection is good, as I recall, but mostly when I was pregnant I went with very low slung knickers in a size larger than normal – the all over stretch lace brazillian style were particularly good at adapting. As far as bras, I stuck to normal ones! Underwire free bras were particularly good towards the end, but generally, I just got fairly cheap ones that I wouldn’t feel bad about disposing off afterwards when I had shrunk back down again. When I was breastfeeding I found that a plunge style push up bra was really easy to flip in and out of. Although, I should imagine if you were well endowed that might not work so well. But don’t feel that you are limited to ‘just’ maternity underwear, which people feel entitled to often charge through the roof for.

• 11/01/12 at 6:07

Thanks for the insight, Amaryllis! As I mentioned, I haven’t had children, so I really appreciate you giving a mother’s perspective on this post.

2. 11/01/12 at 7:47

I’d also say Hot Milk. But you could have a look at Royce and Panache they have some really pretty ones. And Freya have also just brought out their Pollyanna in a nursing/maternity bra which is pretty and practical! xo

• 11/01/12 at 16:52

Thanks for the recommendations! The more perspectives on this, the better.

3. Catherine
    11/01/12 at 12:09

I´d like to say that wearing bras with wires isn´t good for pregnant and breastfeeding women, can cause some harm, so it´s better to stick to wire- free bras. I have very good experience with Hotmilk, very pretty and comfortable bras, now my mother is wearing them ( she has the same size as I did when breastfeeding) and loves them.
    I also tried some Mothercare lace bras and the lace was scratchy, the bras are pretty though. ( so pretty my friend refused to wear them when I loaned them to her, now that she´s breastfeeding, she told me that they are ” too luxurious for her”.)
    Anita maternity is good quality too ( although the bras are more ” girly” than “sexy”.)
    The best thing in the world is a merino wool nursing bra from a Czech brand Bundles of Joy. not exactly something you´d show off, but very comfortable and functional.

• Corina
      11/01/12 at 15:46

Underwires being harmful during pregnancy and breastfeeding is a common misconception. As long as bras fit well, the underwire should be encasing the breasts therefore not touching any breast tissue which could cause discomfort and potential harm.

For ladies with big boobs, it is understandable that they do not want to spend 12+ months in a non-wired bra as even with the correct fit, non-wired bras simply do not give the same support!

• 13/01/12 at 5:36

Thanks for the added info, Corrina…really appreciate it!

• 13/01/12 at 5:36

Thanks for the reviews, especially of the merino wool bra…sounds super soft and comfy, especially if your breasts are sore.

4. 11/01/12 at 20:45

It’s worth mentioning (I think) that like all lingerie, maternity stuff can get expensive. Check out mom-oriented flash sale sites like Totsy and Zulily. Hotmilk and Cake have both been featured multiple times.

• 13/01/12 at 5:32

Love the flash sale site recommendation! Great idea.

5. Chanel
    11/01/12 at 23:25

I CHERISH my Bella Materna bras that I got when I was 5 months pregnant and I continue to wear them while I am nursing. I bought 3 from them and two are ones that I will wear even when I am no longer nursing they are so comfortable yet classy. The fabrics are also high quality and I believe most if not all of their products are made in the United States. I will never buy another bra from VIctoria’s Secret after Bella Materna. I was fit in the store and they were so helpful.
    Also,I agree with underwire being okay just as long as the bra fits correctly!

• 13/01/12 at 5:33

Thanks for the review! It’s so important knowing what other people think of these brands, and I’m glad Bella Materna worked out for you. :)

6. Annmarie
    12/01/12 at 1:43

Please don’t be offended with my advice, I’m really trying to help you with a relatively affordable destination…
    During pregnancy your wonderful body expands to accommodate your very own wonderful baby. That’s the way it always was and will always be. It is not like your body is “hijacked” as some may suggest!!!
    So now that we got the “shame” factor behind us I would urge you to look into this site that sells clothing and lingerie for plus size women. It is quite affordable and has some great designs. Not always the best quality but you can always return what doesn’t work for you. roamans.com
    I got few items from them in the past that I really like even though I’m only size 8. Best to you and your baby!

• 13/01/12 at 5:34

As always, thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts, Annmarie. :)

7. Honey
    12/01/12 at 7:50

It’s hard to beat the ones you featured, Treacle, but Amoralia, Belabumbum and Emily Lingerie also have some adorable nursing bras. Womama has a couple of nursing bras that aren’t devastatingly ugly.

• 13/01/12 at 5:34

Thanks for the additional recommendations! The more brands we know of, the better.

8. 12/01/12 at 19:44

Those brands are great, and Bravado’s Sublime bra is also a beautiful option! Some of my small band/large cup size customers love this one.

• 13/01/12 at 5:35

Always nice to get a specific recommendation, especially from a retailer since you see so many different women. Thanks for commenting!

9. Apfia
    28/05/12 at 5:03

I know this is an older post but can i say THANK YOU!! i was getting lost in trying to find a nursing bra that wasn’t, as the lady said, “…devastatingly ugly.” and not insanely overpriced for an added bow on the bra. This is my first pregnancy and am so happy that i now don’t have to feel or look frumpy underneath while i am breastfeeding.

10. Tina
    16/06/13 at 14:09

I just found out for my niece that you can convert any bra into a nursing bra with very little sewing (seriously you “sew” about two inches). You can buy hooks or snaps for very little money, or if you are nearby a Nordstroms, the apparently will do it for $10, regardless of where you bought the bra for just $10.

11. 01/01/14 at 15:01

All beautiful bras! However, what I really struggled with was finding a bra that wasn’t visible below the necklines of my favourite tops in my new, larger bra size (a 30G!) I’m not one for showing oodles of cleavage, but at the same time didn’t want to constrict myself to 9 months of high crew-necks! Lorna Drew bras were the solution for me :)

• 06/01/14 at 4:29

Thanks for the comment! It’s always good to know what works. :-)

12. Marjorie
    19/11/14 at 19:34

Thank you so much for this detailed description! All of the maternity and breastfeeding bras I had seen before looked extremely unattractive. I haven’t had kids yet, and I must say I have a hard time picturing myself looking good in my underwear during that time, so It’s good to know that there are comfortable yet beautiful things available.