Lingerie Link Round-Up: 5/20/11
A lot of news went down in the lingerie industry this week. Here are a few of the highlights —
- KnickersBlog goes on hiatus [Editor’s Note: As of December 2014, this site appears to be defunct]. KnickersBlog was one of the very first lingerie blogs I discovered all those years ago, and they were also one of my inspirations for starting my own blog. While I’m sad to see them leave the blogosphere, I can’t wait to see what Knickers is like when they return.
- La Perla tells us how to choose the perfect slip. I love it when lingerie gets coverage in mainstream media, so I was delighted to see this article on the Wall Street Journal (online version) this week. In it, La Perla’s North American CEO gives several tips for picking a summer slip.
- Pin-up photographer Bunny Yeager is not forgotten. Another highlight of my week was seeing this feature on Bunny Yeager (famous for her photos of Bettie Page) on the New York Times. Many don’t know that Ms. Yeager was once a model herself, and the NYTimes gallery of her photos is well worth a visit.
- Fashionising writes an open letter to Victoria’s Secret. Victoria’s Secret…most people either love them or hate them. While I fall somewhere in the middle (yay for exposing women to lingerie! boo for selling such poorly made products!), I can’t deny any of the critiques Fashionising makes about the way Victoria’s Secret markets itself. Sooo worth reading.
- Candice Boucher causes a scandal at Cannes Film Festival. In a sheer lace dress that was perhaps better suited to the catwalk than the red carpet, model Candice Boucher sets tongues wagging. Even though her fashion choice was universally panned by critics, I have to say…I rather like it.
- BraStop disagrees with me. In the first of 2 responses to this article, BraStop Blog takes issue with my distrust of that unsubstantiated (but oft-repeated) statistic “85% of women wear the wrong bra size.” For my part, I’m glad retailers are talking; the more conversation about this sort of thing, the better.
- Thin & Curvy agrees with me. In the second response to my article on bra fitting, Brittany agrees with my belief that this statistic is primarily used as a scare tactic. She also offers a point of view I support wholeheartedly, “In the end, it doesn’t really matter what percentage of women wear the wrong bra size. What matters is helping women to find bras that fit, and that they can feel comfortable and beautiful.”
- Violet Blue introduces me to Flash Lingerie, a.k.a. my new favorite lingerie site. With a Tumblr, a Blog, a Twitter & a Facebook, I’m always looking for new lingerie material for my fans and readers. So I’m super excited about the galleries of free content on Flash Lingerie. It’s all in French, but that’s okay with me.
- New to lingerie? Here are 30 brands to get you started. Though the original title of this article is “30 Websites to Blow Your Mind,” I confess that my mind wasn’t really blown. However, I did think this article was an excellent resource showcasing a variety of lingerie brands. I’ve already bookmarked it to refer to later. (Thanks to @meCatarina for the link!)