9 Things I’ve Learned About Lingerie in the Past Year

I tend to do lot of reminiscing around my blogaversary, and I’ve done a bit more than usual this year because so much changed for me in 2010.  Not only did I rename my site (from Stockings Addict to The Lingerie Addict),  I attended my very first lingerie tradeshow (Curvexpo), met a ton of lingerie designers, and officially became a business. I started Facebook and Tumblr pages for the blog, and also began a brand new group for Independent Lingerie Professionals (that I’m super excited about developing in 2011!).

But more than anything, I learned a lot about lingerie. Here are just a few of the lessons I’m taking into the rest of 2011:

1) There is no shame in buying, wearing, and enjoying “cheap” lingerie. I believe every woman deserves the gift of sexy lingerie, no matter her budget. And if you’re looking for a few classy-yet-affordable suggestions, check out the Lingerie Addict on a Budget folder over on the Facebook page.

2) That said, there is lots of handmade lingerie available at price points comparable to the more mainstream, factory-produced brands. Fortnight, Liane Marguerite, and On the Inside are three of my faves, and they’ve all received amazing feedback on Etsy.

3) Never heard of those brands? That’s because the only lingerie lines most of us see are the ones who can afford dedicated PR teams. There’s so much undiscovered gold out there, and that’s a big part of why I started Designer Interviews…because they deserve some love too.

4) Speaking of independent lingerie designers, it really does make a difference when you buy from them and from the independent boutiques that support them (provided that’s within your budget, of course). Buying independent rewards creativity, variety, and innovation…and also ensures that you won’t have a lingerie drawer full of boring t-shirt bras! ;)

5) I’ve said it before, but I don’t mind saying it again…there is still no excuse for visible pantylines. Forget Spanx or thongs. Look for a brand that specialize in seamless lingerie, like Commando (sold at BareNecessities).

6) This one might make me some enemies, but it’s true. There is lingerie out there for everybody and every body. You may not be able to shop at Victoria’s Secret and you might have to spend a bit more money than you’d like, but if you’re between a AAA cup and an N cup, someone makes a bra for you.

7) Vintage, burlesque, and pin-up lingerie is here to stay.  Hooray!

8) Now that lingerie is a rapidly growing industry, the hucksters, frauds, and con artists are flocking to make a quick buck from it.  As a consumer, it’s never been more important to do your due diligence. If something seems too good to walk away from (for example, a $350 corset for only $35), you should probably walk away.

9) It makes sense to end where I started, with a little addition to this sentence from the first item on the list, “Every woman deserves the gift of sexy lingerie, no matter her budget, her weight, her shape, her complexion, her sexual orientation, or her relationship status.”  Lingerie is meant to be enjoyed, and no one should be allowed to take that pleasure away. Want to add something to that sentence? Share it in the comments!

1. Petra Bellejambes
    06/04/11 at 6:46

Nice lessons Treacle. Learning is sexy, yes?

Thanks for sharing,

P

2. Anonymous
    06/04/11 at 9:55

Excellent list. I would like to suggest that your budget folder tell who the maker is. There are great things in all price ranges. I have found things that fit absolutely wonderful from basics to fancy, from the big names to the boutiques.

Keep up the great work of educating us on what all is out there!

E

3. Treacle
    06/04/11 at 10:59

@Petra–Thank you for stopping by! It's always good to see you. :)

@E–Thank you for leaving a comment, lovely! You can find all information about items in the budget folder by clicking on the links that accompany each photo. And I agree…great things do come in all price ranges. :)

4. daisychain
    06/04/11 at 11:28

fabulous post,
    I've learnt a lot through your blog x

5. Treacle
    06/04/11 at 12:18

@daisychain–Yay! I'm so happy to hear it. :)

6. Kayla @ TheEclecticElement
    06/04/11 at 16:30

That's yet another wonderful list for all lingerie enthusiasts whether they are just beginning (like me) or are seasoned professionals (like you)!

I especially like the first and last one-Every woman deserves to feel beautiful and sexy no matter what :)

7. Janus
    06/04/11 at 18:52

I don't know . . . I think there are some people I would like to see with visible pantylines. Lindsay Lohan, for one. At least it would mean that she is wearing panties.

8. frankufotos Lingerie
    06/04/11 at 20:38

^ Rimshot!

Look at the bright side – with blogs like Treacle's, maybe it'll finally be so popular again 'commando' will see to be So Yesterday by just about everyone, and classic lingerie to be as Timeless as we all know it already is.

Happy Belated Blogaversary, Treacle!

9. Treacle
    06/04/11 at 20:46

@Kayla–If there was a Lingerie Addict manifesto…that sentence would be on it. Hey, maybe I should write one! ;)

@Janus–You almost made me choke on my tortilla chips…too funny! :D

@Franku–Thank you, Franku. I still get a little giddy when my blogging idols (a list you are definitely on) take the time to stop by. :)

10. Gaby
    07/04/11 at 4:30

Great list – and just wanted say a huge THANK YOU for all your support of the handmade lingerie world – it means a lot xoxo

Gaby – Hopeless Lingerie xo

11. Myriam Girard
    07/04/11 at 13:29

Amazing article, thanks for sharing. Love what you do!

12. European_Girl
    07/04/11 at 20:02

It is a myth that seamless lingerie don't create visible pantylines under tight fitting clothes. It is one thing checking yourself in a mirror with indoor lighting and another thing walking in public when body muscles are strengthened and clothing being exposed to bright sun.

Besides it is gross to wear anything but thongs under leggings and light, white clothing.

13. Treacle
    07/04/11 at 20:11

@Gaby–Absolutely! I definitely still have a lot to learn re: some of the unique issues that affect independent designers, but it's something I really want to learn more about.

@Myriam–Thank you for stopping by! Can't wait to see your new collection :)

@European_Girl–Thank you for leaving a comment, lovely. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I know for sure there is seamless lingerie out there that can deliver on the claim. As for your remark that anything other than a thong is "gross," well…I happen to disagree. ;)

14. Michelle
    08/04/11 at 4:25

Brillian post, i like lesson 9! It couldnt be more true. ;)

15. Alicia
    24/04/11 at 1:59

#9 couldn't be more true…You can change it slightly—lose a few pounds, get into shape, become an overall healthier person—but get rid of these unrealistic ideas of replacing your body with a supermodel’s for the sake of sexiness.

Be who you are and enjoy life.

16. Brooke
    03/05/11 at 18:27

Please do tell where I can get that black bra. I must have it!

17. dlhlex@windstream.net
    10/06/11 at 8:58

"Nobody should be allowed to take that peasure away," goes for those of us (males) who enjoy lingerie, too.
    Dana

18. 01/10/12 at 14:47

I love your site. I am a Boudoir photographer based out of Memphis, TN, and I am always looking for designer lingerie to recommend to my clients. Great post! Now I’m off to learn more about independent designers :)

19. enjoygame
    02/07/14 at 4:23

love your site. I am a Boudoir photographer based out of Memphis, TN, and I am always looking for designer lingerie to recommend to my clients. Great post! Now I’m off to learn more about independent designers :) “lover-fashion”