Trend Alert: Webbed Suspender Belt

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.

On the left side, we’ve got Bordelle’s webbed suspender belt from their one of their very first collections back in 2009. Originally retailing at £89 (approximately $142), this is one of the pieces that put the UK brand on the luxury lingerie map.

On the right side, we have Frederick’s of Hollywood’s Runway Burlesque Chemise, an unabashed remake which retails at a somewhat more budget-friendly $38 (and offers a matching bra & g-string if you want to complete the look).

What do you think, fellow addicts?  Is this strappy, bondage-inspired garter belt a purchase…or pass?

1. Tasha says:

I would purchase! But, it doesn't look like it comes in plus sizes. Boo.

2. Thursday says:

Bordelle's lines are so much more pleasing – and in such a delicate case as this, I would not trust the cheaper version to hold yor stockings up! In my experience, with anything designed for suspense, extra expense is worth it.

3. sexylegsandbody says:

I think the one on the right is better and more sexy. Thanks for sharing, hope you are doing well.

Colin.

4. erin says:

oh these are HOT. i prefer the bordelle one though. *may have to add this to my collection*

thanks for posting!

5. Anonymous says:

While the price is nicer on the Fredrick's version, for something as potentially delicate as this could be one would want to go with quality rather than price. I can imagine the Fredrick's version is made of thin material and poorly stitched in keeping with much of their, Leg Avenues, and other such lower priced lingerie supplier's materials. What is unfortunate is that this would look great (and be more durable) in leather, but it is not offered in that.

6. daisychain says:

Awesome post, I'd love to see regular looks for less posts x

7. Anonymous says:

I like the open-ass one by Frederick's much better.

8. Diane says:

I own a lot of lower-priced items from Fredericks and the quality has never failed me. I tend to buy them for situations where I know I will be, um, rough on my undergarments. Or someone else will. And they always stand up well.

I've actually been debating that item for a while now.

9. DougTingvall says:

I'm sure the quality of the Bordelle line is higher and I don't mind paying for better quality — unless the piece is a novelty item that my wife is likely to wear only once or twice and not leave it on for more than 20 minutes! I bought Frederick's black "strappy seduction bustier" for my wife for Valentine's Day; we'll see whether she actually wears it out!

10. alisha says:

Oh I frickin loooove the Frederick's of Hollywood one. The other one looks more like some sort of contraption rather than something sexy. Frederick's may not be as expensive (which is a good thing, actually), but most of their stuff is soooooooooo HOT.

11. Gabfran says:

I have some Bordelle Lingerie (Bugsy Knickers and Bra). Beautiful craftsmanship. However I lust after more even though I cannot afford them. The copyright lawyer in me fees bad that Bordelle is being ripped off. So much design and R&D goes into innovative lingerie design. So little thought goes into knicking it (pardon the pun). And yet… I would be prepared to give the Frederick's a try…

12. Stolen Style says:

I'm doing a special post on lingerie on my blog about intellectual property in the fashion industry, and am linking to posts from your blog! Thanks so much for the great 'Looks for Less' posts. http://stolenstyleblog.blogspot.com/

13. Bettie says:

It's interesting to see how Frederick's has no shame at all with ripping a design off and doing it in such an obvious way.
    They are not only doing it with Bordelle but with all the new lingerie labels.
    Well done to the design team for being sooo creative ! This is shameless and vulgar !

14. aspyre says:

I might be alone in thinking they're both hideous and unwearable.

15. BreastWhisperer says:

I own a Bordelle piece from last season and it is quite spectacular. The lace is absolutely to die for and it is very, very well constructed. I think women should consider how often they will be wearing the garment, and how important a part of her lingerie wardrobe it will be, when making the choice between upscale or going on the cheap. I know this post led to quite the discussion of intellectual property, and in the fashion business, knockoffs are par for the course. Innnnterestingly enough (and I don't think anyone mentioned this), while Bordelle certainly are innovative, bondage inspired looks are certainly, nothing new. Also, with all the strapping (especially on the waspies, girdles and bodysuits)…Bordelle certainly takes a cue from the very established Ribbon/Elastic dresses that Herve Leger has been offering for quite some time…just putting that thought out there. In the end, fashion will always be recycled and reinterpreted. It just depends on to what degree certain ideas are "borrowed".

16. […] by the very lovely Gaby of the luxury, handmade label Hopeless Lingerie out of Australia.  My last Look for Less feature, featuring Frederick’s of Hollywood and Bordelle Lingerie caused a lot of controversy […]