The Look for Less: La Perla vs. Frederick’s of Hollywood

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.

In the left corner we’ve got La Perla’s feathered, g-string bodysuit from a few seasons back.  Sold through their online boutique and Net-a-Porter.com, this bodysuit originally retailed for $470.

In the right corner, we have Frederick’s of Hollywood’s newer, more budget friendly version.  Selling for less than a tenth of the price of the original, you can afford to pick up a couple at only $42 each.

What do you think, fellow addicts, is this feathered teddy a purchase…or pass?

1. Torunn
    15/01/11 at 16:01

I actually find this strangely appealing! It's a bit different, and very beautiful indeed. Thanks for the tip!

2. Diane
    15/01/11 at 16:40

I think it's an interesting look but as someone who is insufferably and uncomfortably ticklish I'm getting squirmy and itchy just looking at it! I'll have to give this feather trend a pass.

3. Anonymous
    15/01/11 at 18:48

I don't personally care for the feathers (from either La Perla or Frederick's). But I will say that if having the feathers "first" is your desire, you won't want to wait for the year-later knockoff. On the other hand, if you're not that worried about quality or exclusivity, most people will probably enjoy the cheaper just as much as the pricier one. Interestingly, some of the other pieces in the new Frederick's lineup remind me a lot of the "strappy" stuff from Agent Provocateur or Lascivious.

4. TrippyTexan
    15/01/11 at 20:52

I'm of 2 minds about this. On the one hand, feathers!!! Want!!! On the other hand, is there any support at all? I can't imagine that bits that are naturally… er… floppy… would be particularly flattered by this look.

5. joanshearer
    16/01/11 at 9:46

Tough one cuz I like marabou….alot! I'd go for a pair of marabou mules either as an accent by themselves OR worn w/ a peignoir w/ marabou trim. Classic, sexy, versatile, and over all more mileage for the money.

If I were choosing a teddy for myself that I was buying, I'd go for for the Frederick's one. I like the longer feathers and the less strappy look. The La Perla one is too expensive when one considers how marabou had a tendency to pull off.

However, if someone else is buying and you have a small enough cup size, go for the La Perla! LOL

6. Panty Buns
    16/01/11 at 12:56

After a few seconds I realized I'd initially been drawn to the teddy by Frederick's because of the lace-top stockings. Then there's the price and the tickle factor for another person to enjoy. I think I'd go with the teddy from Frederick's.

7. Anonymous
    16/01/11 at 17:49

To me it is very sexy however, the feathers are a little much and kind of showgirl-ish. Not a big fan of feathers. Maybe if it was some kind of short fringe, or just a trim of lace, maybe.

8. Anonymous
    16/01/11 at 21:27

I love this, think it is very sexy and appealing, would wear especially if I was well tanned, need to go to store to see it.

9. sexylegsandbody
    17/01/11 at 6:42

Very sexy, definitely a good buy.
    Thanks for sharing.

Have a lovely week.

Colin.

10. badside
    18/01/11 at 14:48

I'm not crazy about this piece, but if I were, I would definitely choose the Frederick's version. The price is way too good to pass up, think of all the other things you could buy with the left over money!

11. Treacle
    28/01/11 at 15:08

Loving the comments here! I don't think the feathers would work for me either (I'm unbearably ticklish), but I'm sure someone will enjoy it!

12. Chris from NY
    01/02/11 at 17:53

I had one of the worst customer service experiences in my life with Frederick's of Hollywood so tread carefully. One you buy it, you bought it, unless you want the fight of your life to return it.

13. Kayla @ TheEclecticElement