5 Things Every Lingerie Addict Needs (That Aren’t Lingerie!)

Photo by Rod Nunley

From double sided tape to breast petals, this list is made up of little lingerie accessories that every lingerie lover needs to own. Keep reading to discover five essential accessories.

1) Lingerie Wash Bag–I know, I know, handwashing in the sink is best.  But I know and you know that we don’t always have that kind of time.  So on the days that you need to toss your skivvies into the washing machine, make sure they’re protected with a mesh lingerie bag.  A lingerie wash bag keeps your delicates from being ruined by the agitating motion of the machine, and they’re inexpensive to boot.  I own this large lingerie wash bag from Bare Necessities.  It fits several days worth of underthings at a time, and only costs $9.

2) Lingerie Dryer Rack–Even though I understand the occasional necessity of washing your frillies in the machine, there is never, ever, ever an excuse for tossing them in the tumble dryer.  A dryer absolutely wrecks your lingerie…just damages it beyond all repair.  Use the washing machine if you must, but promise me you’ll never tumble dry.  Instead, use a lingerie drying rack like this $5.99 one from the Container Store.  Prefer not to by a specialized rack?  Plastic hangers with plastic clothespins should work just as well.

3) Lingerie Carry Bag–Now that your delicates are clean and dry, it’s important to keep them that way.  Enter the lingerie bag.  Whether it’s to keep your knickers organized while traveling or just to keep them safe in your drawer from young and sticky fingers, a lingerie bag is an addict essential.  Use a hard lingerie bag for items that need to maintain their shape (like underwire bras), and a soft lingerie bag for things you can fold easily like panties and hosiery.  Lingerie bags are also perfect if you’re a frequent traveler who doesn’t want strange hands on your underthings while going through the security line.

4) Nipple Concealers–Also known as “breast petals,” nipple concealers keep your breasts from drawing unwanted attention.  Nipple concealers are also great for my petite readers who don’t want always wear a bra but may not want to advertise that fact with nipple show-through.  Though nipple concealers usually come in various shades of beige, I’m a big fan of Nippies, with their assorted colors, fabrics, and patterns. They’re also very affordable, at around $10/pr. for plain concealers and $15/pr. for Nippies’ decorated ones.

5) Double sided tape.  For the days you’re wearing something low cut, strappy, or slinky and need to be absolutely, positively, 100% sure that your lingerie is staying where it’s supposed to.  Double stick tape is also great for adding another layer of protection to strapless bras, thigh highs, or garters.  When I’m going out for a night on the town, this is the one thing I make sure I have in my itty, bitty evening purse.  Hollywood Fashion Tape is the gold standard when it comes to double stick tape and is only $8.99 for a pack of 36 pieces.  Accept no substitutes.

What did you think of this list? Have something you want to add? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

1. Diane
    21/01/11 at 23:48

I'm not sure if these actually count as lingerie or not, but a big one for me is spare detachable black, beige, and ivory garters. A few of the lingerie stores I frequent sell them.

I remove mine from corsets and basques and whatnot depending on what I'm wearing (if I have stay-ups that have a silicone adhesive, for example) and I have a horrible habit of losing them. I always make sure to buy spares just in case.

2. Treacle
    21/01/11 at 23:50

I love that tip! I too keep a stash of plain black garters in case one disappears.

3. daisychain
    22/01/11 at 7:40

Now have a list of five things I never knew I needed! x

4. Kelly
    22/01/11 at 11:49

Love this list! These really are must-haves for lingerie lovers.

I'm always shocked at how many people have no idea about lingerie bags. I use them ALL THE TIME – not just with my lingerie but with sweaters, lace, or clothes with beading. Or even just my favorite clothes that I want to look great as long as they can. I think I have 5 now – because I just never seemed to have enough before!

5. Diane
    22/01/11 at 12:49

Lingerie bags are a godsend indeed, Kelly. I wear a lot of very airy linen blouses with embroidery (I guess I am a hippie at heart) and sometimes I just don't have the patience to hand-wash those either. Into the bags they go!

6. Kayla @ TheEclecticElement
    22/01/11 at 20:22

Oh man, I didn't even KNOW they had carriers or drying racks like that! Kayla wants xD

Actually, I really do need one of those mesh bags, too!

I guess I have a few things to add to my want list :)

This is a great list! Thanks for posting it.

7. Miss la Belle
    22/01/11 at 20:41

I really rate Fashion tape, and also have a stash of many bags to put my girly goodies in when travelling. The bags are particularly good for stashing my show girl items that may get snagged on other delicate pieces. Do you have any recommendations for rubberising a girdle at the waist? That's one thing that Fashion tape wont keep up. Eyelash glue is a temp fix but is way to hard to get out.

8. Nicole
    23/01/11 at 10:21

If you're short on time, I find that taking them into the shower with you seems to go a bit faster than hand washing in the sink. I mean, you're already there.

9. Tiff
    26/01/11 at 13:41

This is a great round up…I use a lingerie bag, and I love Nippies!I have tried their Stylin' Tape before and it's really great, stays put allllll day. Also, I need the lingerie drying rack…all my molded cup bras are looking a little wonky bc they stretch out when I hang dry them.

10. Kirsten
    26/01/11 at 13:45

Hi Treacle – thanks for the post, this looks great! Love the Nippies nipple cover shout out. :)
    xo Kirsten

11. Sarah Baron
    28/01/11 at 0:56

Can't you just put together a kit for those of us who don't know what we're doing so we can get all this stuff at once?

Hmmm…. another business idea. ;)

Sarah

12. cervin
    28/01/11 at 9:58

very nice Lingerie Carry Bag

13. Treacle
    28/01/11 at 15:06

@Nicole–Love that tip! Thanks for sharing.

@Sarah–Oooh…what a great idea…

14. new body shaper
    09/02/11 at 11:09

Thanks for this post listing some items a "lingerie addict" should consider. I think the lingerie wash bag could come in real handy for a lot of people.

15. @TheGirlPie
    21/08/11 at 20:51

I'd add the best stocking wash to this list: HOSIERY MATE — been using it for years. A capful in the sink, swish-swish your stockings/pantyhose, soft squeeze, towel roll, hang dry — smells fresh, extends wear, and nope, I'm not an affiliate or reseller — just a loooong time fan!

16. Elegy
    23/05/12 at 1:34

For those moments where you are out, active, or wearing heavier fabric and don’t want to risk the tape sweating off: get wig/taupe tape instead- it’s far more secure than fashion tape.