5 Things Every Woman Should Know About Her Lingerie

Lingerie is powerful.

As your resident lingerie addict, I’m reminded of that power everyday. Lingerie transforms, inspires, stimulates, and excites. It allows every woman, no matter her station or circumstance, to express the person she truly is inside in an intimate and meaningful way. I believe (and I hope you do too) that lingerie is more than underwear… it’s a means of self-expression, no matter what clothing you may have to wear on top.

That said, there are some things lingerie is really good at and a few things it simply cannot do. Here are just a handful of them:

1) Lingerie will hardly ever make you look as good as the girl in the advertisement. And I’m referring to all the girls in advertisements — thick, thin, dark-skinned, light-skinned, tattooed and not. Modeling today is a miracle of photoshop and computer science. Unless you have a truly rare genes, you will not look like the models… but you can look like your very best self, and that’s what lingerie is all about.

2) The right lingerie can lift both your bum and spirits. As I mentioned above, lingerie is more than just underwear. It’s not simply a means to an end… something you “have to wear.” The right lingerie makes you look and feel amazing. Even if you’re having a crappy day, a delicate bit of silk, satin, or lace against your most delicate parts can often do wonders to brighten your mood.

3) More money doesn’t always mean more better. I understand the thrill of expensive lingerie, and I know a big part of that thrill comes from the idea of owning something rare, exclusive, and extraordinary. But here’s the real deal. For a lot of expensive lingerie, you’re just paying for the brand name, the high street address, and the pricey ad campaign… not for the lingerie itself. You can find great lingerie for less than $30, so trust how it feels on you and not what other people think.

4) Lingerie will not make up for poor lifestyle habits. We’re past the days of steel-boned corsets when a woman could forcibly mold and shape her figure into the ideal of her time. And even though lycra and spandex can work wonders, they can’t completely mask the effects of a poor diet and no exercise (can you tell I’m speaking from experience here?). So take care of your body and that way lingerie becomes a complement, not a concealer.

5) There has never been a better time to get into the world of lingerie. Never. I am constantly amazed by all the incredible choices available. Whether you’re looking for eco-friendly, retro, or  latex lingerie, there’s something out there for everyone. As an aside, I know quite a few designers read my blog, and you can always feel free to e-mail me about your latest collection. I’d love to hear from you!

Mad Mimi Form

Article Tags : ,
Cora Harrington

1. Petra Bellejambes says:

Amen on all points my dear, and especially # 4. Good and bad lifestyle attributes are so magnified, in both directions, by lingerie.

Eat well, exercise your beautiful body, sleep peacefully. There is no undergarment in the world that will hide bad habits. And even the least expensive piece can look and feel like a million bucks on a healthy happy body.

Terrific post. Thanks!

2. Bella Bella Boutique says:

Treacle, this must be my favorite post from you so far. All the 5 things you mentioned are super true and important for all women to keep in mind. I particularly love #4, living a healthy lifestyle thru exercise, good nutrition, moderation, and to add:(emotional health) are the foundation to fell and look great!

3. Walker says:

I love this, particularly the first one.. the advent of photoshopping has set impossible standards for the average woman.

4. Lucy says:

All true!

Like Walker, I feel particularly strongly about #1: photo-shopping does our daughters no service at all. The model photos are beautiful – but most of us won't look like that. It isn't realistic to expect it…

5. Fajr | Stylish Thought says:

Great points! particularly love 1 and 2! Great lingerie will not only support you but add a pep in your step!

6. Alice Sturdivant says:

so, given if lingerie isn't meant to conceal, should only women who have nothing to hide wear it? I.e. is lingerie only for the slim and/or young (or those whose bodies are youthful)?

7. Treacle says:

@Alice Sturdivant–Not at all. I didn't mention anything remotely similar to your comment in this article. My point, which I stated in the very first sentence of the paragraph you're referring to, is that lingerie cannot be a substitute for poor lifestyle habits. Thanks for stopping by.

8. Courtney says:

You also can't look like women in the ads because they are photoshopped to death.

9. Andy@Le-Beau.co.uk says:

Awesome Points !

Especially 4 and 5 one. I think all the 5 points you have mentioned are correct and mostly useful for all women.

Thanks for sharing this points.

10. Kayla @ TheEclecticElement says:

I absolutely love this list! Especially #1-I always get discouraged when I see these tiny, perfect models in the lingerie that I'm looking at buying.

But like you said, you just have to keep it in mind!

11. frankufotos Lingerie says:

#1 is so dead on. Even Adriana Lima isn't going to look like the Adriana Lima we think we know unless you have people do do hair, makeup and lighting. Do great genes help? Sure, and we've all seen people who have them. But if a $25,000 car doesn't even look as good in real life as on a HD commercial, how do you expect even a $100 pair of panties to perform a miracle? But, to Alice: who says it has to do that to work for anyone? I've said it before: The Girl Makes The Lingerie, not the other way around.

12. MissNeira says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE it..and I agree with it all!

13. ashe mischief says:

I'm going to echo a few of the others with #1 being so dead on! I'd also add… with those women being constantly touched up, lights scrutinizing every inch of their body, and then having to be photoshopped… it may not be the highest confidence moment for them. But when you're in lingerie, with your partner, and their face lights up? That sends your confidence through the roof. Further proof your imperfect body is just better than the ads.

14. Suzie@suziemay-lingerie.co.uk says:

I agree completely with this post. Of course the advertisers have to make the models look as good as possible in lingerie to sell it but many women forget that these are models and the images are always enhanced with an airbrush. I say choose what you'll feel comfortable in.

15. Suzie May Lingerie says:

Definitely agree with number 3.. although if you buy very expensive lingerie you're unlikely to get something that will fall apart after 5 washes!

16. AlexaFaie says:

I agree on most of these except for #4. There is no piece of lingerie better fitting, empowering and forgiving as a well fitted steel boned corset.

Sure you shouldn't just live unhealthily and try and make up for it with a corset, but a corset can be a great way to get a confidence boost when you've gained a little water weight around the time-of-the-month. Also, they can be used to help you get in shape as when worn, they help reposition fat from around the stomach (where its most dangerous since its around the organs, greater cancer risk etc) towards the hips. And if you combine corset wearing with an improved healthy diet and exercise you're onto a winner.

I couldn't call my lingerie draws/shelves complete if they weren't full of corsets and I have a draw here with 20 bras in and 2 draws full of knickers. I'd reached 96 pairs on the last count and I have even more at home. Corsets are the backbone of my lingerie collection (they sure as hell improve posture).

But other than that the comments are so right. Though I actually don't like a lot of the lingerie models' figures. Perhaps its because they've been over-photoshopped so have become so unnatural looking. Or maybe its how little waist definition they have and how small their hips are. Real women (unphotoshopped versions) have curves. Ok sure there are some women who have very straight up and down figures, but most of us have some shape whether it be hourglass like me or apple or pear. And the lingerie ads really don't show any of these kinds of figures. They seem to say "what? you have hips? Go away you freak". The only real exception I've seen is Morgana – she has a lovely figure – an actual shape. Not the equivalent of a breathing mannequin.

17. […] try. When a lot of sites talk about lingerie, they focus on how it makes you look to others. But lingerie is more than just a prelude to sex or way to avoid pantylines. Lingerie is a form of self-expression. My "Everyday" […]

18. Whitney says:

all the 5 things it says is so true i always try and expalin this to woman and for some reason most of them just dont get it interesting read

19. Colette says:

Great Post! :)
    No. 1, very true. And as a Photography student, you’re made to learn the process required to edit the models to “perfection”. It’s not uncommon I would think for editors to spend three hours, possibly more on editing one image. Very tedious. I don’t enjoy the process at all.
    But unfortunately that is what most consumers want and expect to see. Most probably wouldn’t buy otherwise. They also expect it from you for college fashion photography assignments… :/