25 Things You Didn’t Know About Me

So I’ve seen this “25 Things” meme floating about on random blogs all over the internet, and I thought it’d be fun to do the same thing here, especially since I don’t spend many articles talking about myself (it’s all about the lingerie love, after all).  I’m typing these out as they come to me, with no drafts or edits, so I’ll be just as surprised as you are with the end result.  Tell me what you think in the comments!

1) I practiced Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a little over 4 years, and was once the champion in my division for Georgia, the Southeast, and the Midwest.

2) I just got my nose pierced in September. There aren’t very many pictures of me with it yet.

3) I had an imaginary friend named Frederico when I was a kid.

4) I had one of the very first Game Boys from 1989 and played it until it (finally) broke in 2009.

5) I love comic books, and I am such a geek that I regularly attend comic book conventions.

6) I backpacked alone from Moscow, Russia to London, England in 2008.

7) Most horror movies are too scary for me to watch.  Seriously.

8) I don’t care that it’s pass√©…bacon is one of my most favorite foods ever.

9) Speaking of food, the thing I miss most about moving away from home is my Mom’s cooking (mmmm…collard greens).

10) And while we’re on the subject of food, I could live off of desserts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I just can’t get enough sugar.

11) I am addicted to Coke Zero.  It’s right up there with the printing press for best invention ever.

12) My first three jobs out of college were as a domestic violence counselor, rape crisis counselor, and children’s foster home counselor (I’m really passionate about social issues).

13) Treacle isn’t the name on my birth certificate, but I’ve used it so much for so long that I answer to it like I would my given name.

14) I chose the name Treacle because treacle (the actual foodstuff) is thick, dark, and sweet…kind of like me!  ;)

15) My blog’s first name was Stockings Addict, because I had just discovered hosiery and no one else was really writing about it at the time.

16) There is no cooler feeling in the world than when the people you look up to the most think of you as peers.

17) I wear a size 11 narrow shoe. If my feet were smaller, I’d probably write a shoe blog too!

18) Trashy supernatural fiction is my favorite guilty pleasure. If it involves vampires, witches, or ghosts, I’m all over it.

19) I’m really, really introverted…that might be because I’m also an only child.

20) But I’ve always wanted an older brother.

21) Explosions in the Sky is my favorite band. Their music is perfect for almost everything.

22) I was really worried I wouldn’t have enough things to say about myself to fill 25 lines.  I still am.

23) One of the scariest thing I’ve ever done is pack up everything I own into my little Honda Civic Hybrid and move from Atlanta to Seattle (2700 miles for my non U.S. readers).  It’s also one of the best things I’ve ever done.

24) A runner-up in the scary/awesome category? Starting this blog.

25) I am happier right now than I ever thought I could be.  Really.

Photo: POC Photo. Makeup: The Shanghai Pearl. Model: Treacle Tart.

1. KarenR
    18/10/10 at 15:19

I knew most of that stuff, but I liked reading it anyway. ;)

2. frankufotos Lingerie
    18/10/10 at 15:39

I knew some, not most. As far as #12, you could have added 'so, if you're looking for a *really* depressing line of work' :/

( I know people who do each of those things, and I'm guessing the pay wasn't any better for you than it is for them – added bonus: burnout )

My hat's off to you.

3. Catherine
    18/10/10 at 15:57

I didn't realise about the travelling till recently, and I wouldn't have guessed introvert :)

4. Mademoiselle Frou-Frou
    18/10/10 at 16:28

I love this post! I never would have guessed introvert…but perhaps because you write so well!
    I am 100% the same as you regarding desserts, loving my mom's cooking, absolutely no scary movies and bacon (I wrote a song dedicated to bacon when I was younger). I guess we also really agree on lingerie!
    You're such a cool person…love learning more about you!!!
    xox alison

5. Treacle
    18/10/10 at 16:34

@KarenR–Well you've known me longer than I've written this blog, so you have a head start. Thanks, as always, for stopping by. :)

@Frankufotos–Thank you, Franku. I'm one of those nutters who genuinely believes a concerned group of citizens can change the world. Maybe I'm still too young. :)

@Catherine–Yup. The Boyfriend and I were just talking over the weekend about how much we'd like to get to London again (and how much London reminds us of Seattle!).

@Mademoiselle Frou-Frou–Thank you for commenting…and for the compliments! You're one of the people I was referring to in #16. :)

6. Soph!
    18/10/10 at 19:24

You're right. I didn't know most of those things! I, too, am a huge comic book nerd! And I love travelling. Haven't been to Moscow, Russia yet, but it's on my list.

size 11 shoe too :) Where do you buy shoes?!!?

7. Treacle
    19/10/10 at 0:01

@Soph!–Thanks for commenting, lovely. :)

I buy my shoes from Nordstrom, mostly. They're the only store that consistently carries nice shoes in my size.

8. Happy pet
    19/10/10 at 1:15

i'm with you on the horror movies Treacle, i still have to hide under the pillows on the sofa or look away – even for 'Jaws'! As for bacon…yummmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyy! But my favourite foodstuff by far has to be mashed potato, and if it comes with bacon with the fat dripped all over the mash then i guess i'll have died and gone to heaven!

9. daisychain
    19/10/10 at 8:24

your last one really made me smile x

10. Keith
    19/10/10 at 9:45

These are all so cool. I really love #6.

11. Candace
    19/10/10 at 12:48

Luv it!!! Hiking alone from Russia to England seems pretty scary to me, much scarier than a scary movie! That is very exciting! I hope you go great pictures!
    I normally wear a size 11 narrow too, I am wearing medium now (the only benefit of weight gain) I wish that mass shoe marketers would get a clue, Narrow shoe wearers need fabulous shoes too! So I vote for you to start the shoe blog! I'll be your first reader! ;)

12. Treacle
    19/10/10 at 23:29

@Happy Pet–You've got my stomach growling, pet! I love mashed potatoes.

@daisychain–I'm so happy it did. You're one of the bravest, most courageous people I know. :)

@Keith–Thanks! I appreciate you stopping by.

@Candace–Hmmm…now you've got me thinking, Candace! Maybe I owe it to the fellow size 11s of the world to start one. ;)

13. Jonh Ingham
    20/10/10 at 4:48

In Britain, 'thick' is a slang word for stupid. I don't think you're referring to that kind of thick in calling yourself Treacle. :-D

BTW, loved your stripping videos – really sassy.

14. Sascha Illyvich - The Dark Wolf Lord
    28/12/10 at 22:47

oh wow this is a blogger based blog. Cool! I WAS writing to tell you I'm a published paranormal romance author *wink* but the lingerie junkie in me hasn't stopped perusing your blog yet. Bookmarked, will be passed on as good reference AND shared with those who want expert advice.

NOw if you just covered cross dressers ;)

Best,

Sascha Illyvich

15. Lexi
    05/07/11 at 21:05

"Trashy supernatural fiction is my favorite guilty pleasure. If it involves vampires, witches, or ghosts, I'm all over it.

Another True Blood fan?!