How to Dress Like Dita von Teese

Dita, Dita, Dita…what can I say about her that hasn’t been said already?  From being a muse to couture fashion houses like Jean Paul Gaultier to designing luxury lingerie collections for the likes of Wonderbra and Frederick’s of Hollywood to selling out burlesque and striptease shows worldwide, Dita is more than a woman…she’s an icon.

On the personal side, I love what Dita von Teese has to say about lingerie.  Like her, I believe that “Lingerie is not about seducing men, it’s about embracing womanhood.”  And I also “…love it when you can go about your daily business with the knowledge that you have a little secret of your own underneath.”  With that in mind, why don’t we take a look at a few key pieces that can give anyone a Dita-worthy wardrobe.

Stockings
Dita von Teese is almost never seen without her stockings, and thanks to an exclusive deal with Secrets in Lace, you can wear the exact same nylons that she does in her burlesque shows and stage performances.  The pair shown to the right is the Dita Glamour French Heel, and you can purchase it here.

Corsets
Along with her many talents, Dita is famous for being able to tightlace her corsets from a natural waist size of 22″ down to 16.5.”  While I don’t recommend that kind of extreme body modification (Dita already has an extraordinarily curvy figure), I do recommend the corsets from What Katie Did.  You can buy a basic black underbust (like the one to the right) for less than $200.

Girdles, Garter Belts, & Bullet Bras

A pin-up model’s look isn’t complete without a retro-style bra, and how will your fully-fashioned stockings stay up without the right garter belt?  Fortunately, What Katie Did has you covered.  Authentic vintage patterns inspire all their designs, so whatever you buy will make you look and feel like Ms. von Teese herself.  I recommend the classic Maitresse and Harlow lines.

What do you think of the Dita von Teese phenomena? Please share your thoughts with me in the comments!

1. cervin
    21/09/10 at 6:02

Superbe Dita Von Teese, on ne se lasse pas de voir ses magnifiques jambes gainées de bas nylon..

Merci beaucoup

2. Jenny Laferriere
    21/09/10 at 11:39

My Love for Dita Von Teese is intense! She's truly an inspiration for me. We have the same Love of that time period; we should've been born back then! Lol. She brings that elegance and class to our time. More people like her should walk among us… I'm already a fan of yours, and seeing this blog totally brightened my day! Thanks for sharing this & making more people out there aware of how much of a Gem Dita really is! Thank You! xoxo

3. Jennie
    21/09/10 at 12:43

Great post! Dita is absolutely stunning. And I couldn't agree more with her thoughts on lingerie. I also love seeing what she wears over lingerie (that red playsuit at Coachella). She has great taste in general!

4. Jennifer Perry
    21/09/10 at 17:18

I love Dita for bringing class and elegance to burlesque, style and embracing our womanhood.

5. Jennifer Perry
    21/09/10 at 17:20

Treacle, I still would be honored to have you be my first guest blogger at Body By Burlesque!

6. Tights Lover
    22/09/10 at 13:59

She is amazing. Awesome post!

7. Louise LeMans
    22/09/10 at 15:24

I LOVE Dita. Something about knowing herself and her style so well makes her larger than life. And it must make shopping simple! I know some people think she's a cartoon, but I totally respect creating a persona for oneself.

I also agree with everything that was said about lingerie. I've just commissioned my favorite local designer for my second corset. However, I own quite a bit of What Katy Did and can vouch for their quality and design.

8. Jennifer Perry
    22/09/10 at 22:58

Dear Treacle,
    Saw your response on Body by Burlesque. Love it! You're on. And I am delighted and honored.

9. Sheen V
    01/10/10 at 12:23

Great article, and I love the pictures!

10. Bra Kreditkort
    03/10/10 at 6:19

She's one of a kind.
    It's not an act, she lives her life just the way she wants to. A world class performer, blessed with immaculate beauty and an inspiration for many.

11. melina bee
    17/10/10 at 16:56

she's gorgeous of course, I love her beautiful waistline and have read about her extensive and lovely corset collection.
    I'd love a post about girdles; they really confuse me and I'm not sure what their exact function is?

12. Jonh Ingham
    25/11/10 at 5:35

It fascinates me that she has managed to completely transcend her fetish and bondage beginnings. Does no-one know from whence she started or is just that no-one cares?