The 7 Deadly Lingerie Sins

Marlies Dekkers

The Lingerie Addict has a sermon for you today and we’re talking about the 7 Deadly Sins of Lingerie.  Don’t worry about it if you see yourself in one or two of these; I’ve done all of them at one time or another. But if you feel the need to make a confession (or just want moral support), you can always drop me a line at thelingerieaddict@gmail.com.

Lust
Drooling over something just because you saw a model wearing it in a magazine ad and then buying that something because your subconscious whispered that it’ll make you look like the model.  No, sweetie, it won’t.  If you have larger boobs, you’re gonna need a supportive bra…not a bralette.

Pride
Buying lingerie in the size you used to be.  Here’s the deal–if you lose weight, gain weight, get pregnant, have a baby, stop breastfeeding, or do anything else that changes the way your boobies fit in your bras then you need to have a professional refitting.  The same rule applies to panties.  Don’t buy knickers in the size you wish you were; buy them in the size you actually are.  Your bum (and the rest of your bits) will thank you.

Sloth
Not taking care of your lingerie.  How often have we heard the handwashing rule?  The no dryer rule?  The no wringing rule?  Plain and simple–your lingerie will look better and last longer if you take care of it.  That means your knickers should never touch the inside of a machine washer and/or dryer.  And if you really want to get hardcore about lingerie care, then invest in quality products like specialty washes and cotton hosiery gloves. I promise you’ll notice the difference.

Envy
Being jealous of someone else’s lingerie (this also includes being jealous of their figure).  Let me tell you, there is no better time to be a lingerie addict than right now.  The 21st century has a bigger variety of sizes, a wider range of colors, and better quality fabrics than any other time in the past 100 years.  There is no reason whatsoever to wear lingerie that doesn’t make you look and feel like a goddess.

Gluttony
Buying anything and everything…especially if it’s on sale.  All together now…it’s not a deal if you never wear it.  I don’t care if you retrieved that bra out of the $5 bin at Ross.  If it tears up after 2 hours and leaves bruises on your ribcage, then you wasted your money.  There are plenty of good, inexpensive bras out there that will amortize to pennies per wear if taken care of properly.

Wrath
Hating on other people’s lingerie.  Yes, I know g-strings aren’t your thing.  Yes, I know you prefer stockings over pantyhose.  But there is no reason to call people who wear those items by bad names or to create entire web forums, discussion boards, and blogs dedicated to badmouthing those people.  And for all the folks who think they’re getting away with something because they’re “anonymous”…an anonymous asshole is still an asshole.

Greed
Buying lingerie out of your price range, even if you have to use a credit card to get it.  My fellow La Perla, Wolford, and Agent Provocateur addicts know what I’m talking about.  Yes, I too can be seduced by the beauty of a perfect pair of high waist, chantilly lace, hand embroidered panties…but that doesn’t mean they’re worth a month of ramen dinners, much less going into debt over.  If the Kiki de Montparnasse keeps calling your name, set up a separate bank account, and then treat yourself after you sock away enough money to pay for it in cash.

How have you sinned lately?   Why don’t you share it in the comments?

1. Reema
    31/05/10 at 23:57

Great post! Yet still, I won't admit that I can identify with any of the sins…luckily denial is not listed!

2. Happy pet
    01/06/10 at 0:54

Great post Treacle and i'm ashamed to say that i recognise myself in far too many of those sins ;o(

p
    x

3. Ligeia
    01/06/10 at 4:05

hahahahahaha, this is amazing!!

4. Petra Bellejambes
    01/06/10 at 6:19

Terrific post m'dear. Love it.

With work, I have pushed back against all of these sins, and life is better as a result. I think though that I want to hang on to lust. Got to have some spice in life.

xxoo

5. cervin
    01/06/10 at 8:29

Very great post Treacle

S.

6. Katie@Knickers
    01/06/10 at 9:00

Hahahaha. Don't these sins define an addict? I'm not a glutton…I'm a collector (hehe)

7. mzfatbooty
    01/06/10 at 9:27

I have totally been guilty of at least two of the deadly sins. I must remember that 36Es don't fit into the AP stuff I love, but it's NOT the end of the world.

TY as always Treacle!

8. Maggie Ewles
    01/06/10 at 9:36

I think I have brought every one of the sins listed to the level of art form… does that make them less evil? I definitely lust after what I don't have, envy others their figures for being able to wear the lingerie I love most but can't wear and… oh dear, there I go again. Perhaps retail therapy will get me through this!

Cheers,
    Maggie

9. Mademoiselle Frou-Frou
    01/06/10 at 9:58

LOL! these are fantastic…and quite spot-on. what a great post…it's definitely required reading for everyone in the lingerie world. i see the 'pride' one with some customers…and i kind of enjoy the excessive spending. ;-)
    xoxo alison

10. Kelly
    01/06/10 at 12:06

haha this is a GREAT post! I'm most often guilty of the sin of gluttony. I see so many great sales everywhere that I just buy everything because it's "such a good deal" but the reality is that there is often a REASON that lingerie is on sale. It is uncomfortable, unflattering, or unsupportive. But when I see those sale signs I don't take any of that into consideration, until the tags are off and it's too late!

11. JP - The Mistress of Corgi Manor
    01/06/10 at 16:05

Oh Goddess Treacle, you gave us the sermon with a dose of love. Even I, who thought I was beyond reproach, saw mine own iniquities in those careful and reproachful words and warnings. I do love my lingerie, and therefore, will go and sin no more!

12. Singapore Lingerie Man
    02/06/10 at 7:08

I admit I have the following qualities- Lust , Pride and Envy.

Lust- I went to lingerie boutiques and browse the beautiful designs of bra and panties. I love to browse them in front of pretty salesgirls. I like Chantelle and Lejaby because they got wide variety of sheer demi cup bras and nice panties.

Envy- I envy those women who wear them , they look very beauitful in these sets I bought.

Pride- when the ladies compliment on my taste of lingerie design, and that the lingerie I bought look very nice on them.I feel so proud.

13. Twila Jean
    02/06/10 at 16:08

So, So SOOOO true :)

14. Ariel
    06/06/10 at 12:19

I'm definitely guilty of Sloth :( I was wondering though how to wash panties. i like to wear my lingerie a lot because i like feeling sexy and confident, but after i've worn my nice lingerie all day, how do i hand wash it to get it clean enough without committing the sin of Sloth??

15. Ella
    17/07/10 at 0:15

Is there a sin of just plain ignoring that cute, sexy things to wear to bed even exist? Just hit my 3rd trimester and am lusting over being able to wear something slinky. Well, I guess that's it – lust! I'll be there soon, though, very, very soon.

16. Bon "Idearella" Crowder
    27/07/10 at 17:14

Freaking awesome!

But like the biblical seven sins, perhaps we should be allowed to have one…

Or we can do what the psychologists do: "He is not diagnosed with OCD, he merely has OCD characteristics!"

I'm not committing the sin, I'm merely exhibiting sinful characteristics.

17. Cheri
    15/10/10 at 21:39

I read this in the McPete Sez newsletter….love, love LOVE it! Great advice.

18. Anonymous
    25/01/11 at 16:29

I think I just committed one of those sins…I walked into Agent Provocateur for the first time and tried on this corset that was 50% off that I absolutely love… I'm a 34 DD which means that I could be a medium or large corset. The only one they had left was a large and it fit me fine enough with the back lacing done up to the max. I probably could've done better to get the medium in the off chance I may lose weight but it wasn't available. So I stuck with the large because it was on sale… I still love it but at $400 was I just giving into lust?

19. Swingers
    15/07/11 at 13:47

Deeply insightful post! You nailed them all. Definetly been guilty of a few of these myself, nothing like a reality check!

20. 01/06/12 at 0:22

I am a very naughty puppy I am guilty of many it not all of these sins hahaha.

21. Julian
    03/06/12 at 0:20

I definately fit into a number of these catergories! This is such a fantastic article by the way Trecle!

LUST: I surely fit into that catergory! I take one look at the model wearing the lingerie, and say she looks great in that bra and knicker set, I have to buy it! And true to that catergory I do just that!

GREED: Yes I fall victim to this catergory! The number of times I have spurged on lingerie including bras, knickers and other various pieces of lingerie especially at Agent Provocateur or Victoria’s Secret has really hurt the savings…but who can resist such lingerie?

SLOTH: I am not sure if I fit into this catergory as much as I do wash my lingerie in the machine but in a lingerie bag and dry them on the line! Still reading this scares the hell out of me that I could be damaging my most expensive lingerie! I better hand wash from now on!

22. abscissions
    06/06/12 at 14:17

I came to this page from another site and was intrigued by the the pink bar at the top of the page stating that ‘The Lingerie Addict is a Body Snark Free Zone.’ It links to an explicit description of what this means, which I very much enjoyed reading.

And yet . . . . “If you have real boobs, you’ll need a real bra…not a bralette.” Gee, I guess me and my ‘fake boobs’ need to go eat some cheeseburgers, right?

• 06/06/12 at 15:04

Hi abcissions,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I wrote this article on The 7 Deadly Lingerie Sins in 2010, when my opinions on “real women” and body snark were much less informed than they are now. I’ll update the article to reflect the stance The Lingerie Addict has today.

–Treacle

• abscissions
        06/06/12 at 23:00

Hi Treacle.

Thank you for your response, and my apologies for not considering the dates. I really am happy to have found your website, and to see you working on creating a welcoming environment.

23. Adrianna
    06/08/12 at 0:21

I don’t know I would rather not eat anything but ramen and poptarts for a week to go out to my favorite restaurant at the end of the week than have less than perfect but moderate dinners and if I found the “perfect” lingerie I would probably eat ramen for a month to pay for them… and I still don’t really think that’s wrong. And I am vigilant about caring for my lingerie, the only time it’s seen the inside of a washer/dryer is when my boyfriend thought to be kind and do my laundry (it was a kind thought) so I’m going to say that cancels the greed out. I hope it does anyway :)

24. Esther Galito
    25/09/12 at 9:18

Great post. I may need to confess a couple of sins (or more, to be completaly honest)… It’s good to be reminded of the weakness of the flesh…

25. Lady
    10/11/12 at 3:15

I think my biggest one was buying things in a slightly ill fitting size just because I had to have the pretty bra. I’m a 28E/F, and I have purchased a 26 band size before that fit but was a little snug. A 32 band hangs off of me in any brand and a 30 band pushes it depending on the brand. Yet I’ve purchased expensive bras before in the wrong size just because I wanted to have that bra. That’s not right! If the store doesn’t have your size, see if it’s available online or don’t buy the bra. If the brand doesn’t make your size, give it up. I gave up Agent Provocateur a long time ago because they don’t make anything for me.

26. Shy
    02/12/12 at 22:17

Oh my goodness, gluttony. I don’t have much money, and am always rushing off to Ross, (so funny you mentioned that) to get bras, and within a few short weeks, (if they make it that long!) they are falling apart, and the wires are coming out. I have decided that this year I will try my hardest to get better quality, as well as take better care of my stuff so that it will last!

27. 28/12/13 at 11:21

Great post, loved it, especially “an anonymous asshole is still an asshole” So true, people will say cruel things on line, they would never say in person.

28. 17/03/14 at 9:00

Great Post, sharing.

29. Lemons
    02/04/14 at 9:57

Lust, I suppose. I absolutely hated (and, alas, still hate) my small boobs and as a rather sad 14-year-old I bought bras that were way too big for me, by some twisted sort of hope. Even my hopeful, untrained eyes could see that a B-cup was waaaaay too big for me, so I looked for my size in the numbers (I had no bloody clue that the ‘numbers’ were my circumference – it was really sad, actually), so I ended up with a ton of bras that were all too big. Obviously, the things weren’t comfortable at all and made my boobs seem even smaller than they were, so I got even unhappier and refused to even enter a bra store, or the lingerie section of any other store: I’d just get so sad and angry at my teeny tiny lemons. It was only last week that I went out and bought 3 new bras for myself. And – I have a B now! Not yet where I’d like to be, but my young age still gives me hope ;) Not only for growth, but more so for acceptation of my own boobs.

And good god, I had no idea bras could be this comfy! It’s fantastic!

30. 12/05/14 at 13:55

Some of these are so true!!