Look for Less?–Dolce & Gabbana Lace Teddie/Bodysuit

I can’t be the only person who fell in love at first sight with the lace and satin vintage-inspired bodysuits featured on the Dolce & Gabbana’s runway for the S/S 2010 show.

For a little while, I entertained the thought of buying one of my very own…but then I did a bit research and realized they cost a jaw-dropping (and utterly unaffordable) $1,195 each.  So much for that fantasy, right?

Since then, I’ve been on the look-out for a knock-off version.  A teddie that has the best elements of Dolce & Gabbana’s bodysuit–such as the bra-top, the wide waistband,  the low-leg cut–but at a more realistic price.

To my surprise, I haven’t been able to find much of anything. Agent Provocateur’s Black Swan bodysuit and Trashy Lingerie’s Corazon Teddy come close, but even then, it’s not a perfect resemblance.  And with prices of $490 and $220, respectively, neither one really counts as a “budget” bargain.

So what’s your opinion, my lovelies?  Is Dolce & Gabbana worth the splurge?  Are Agent Provocateur and Trashy Lingerie acceptable alternatives?  Or should  I just hang my head and admit defeat?  I want to know what you think…so tell me in the comments!

1. Wrecked Stellar
    25/03/10 at 22:03

I totally can't afford D&G, but I do love the pieces, esp. the floral bottoms. Very feminine and lovely! Hope you have a great weekend hon! Aaaand send me your slumber party photo :) xo, mel

2. bsblove9
    25/03/10 at 22:17

I would surely love to own one of those body suits. Not really sure those are good alternatives. I wouldn't hang your head in defeat, just give it a little time an search again. Just because you don't find it now doesn't mean you never will. It just make take awhile. Who knows the "cheaper" brands may see this and recreate it into their own collection.

3. Darla
    25/03/10 at 23:06

Maybe it's just a bit early for other designers to be making knock-offs. I bet this fall or next spring you'll be able to find something.

4. SoCalMan
    26/03/10 at 2:38

I have always been an ardent, card-carrying member, and fan, of Trashy. You walk into their store in LA, and if you take it off the rack, you know it was made upstairs, and they will custom fit it to you. If you do not find the color you like, they will custom make it for you in a myriad of colors and fabrics.

Of the three: D&G and AP you are paying for a label, with AP potentially being made in Asia. Trashy, you are getting a custom piece, made by skilled seamstresses here in the US.

5. Cervin
    26/03/10 at 4:52

Lingerie Dolce & Gabana is sublime … And we can always dream …

6. Petra Bellejambes
    26/03/10 at 6:07

Dear Treacle – really tough price points to justify I agree.

Perhaps you might try to find the fabric, a pattern and a seamstress.

Alernatively, go ahead, post a commission on Craigslist. I bet you will find a student or two aching to do a little real world work for a nominal sum as well.

Happy hunting.

xxoo – Petra

7. Katie@Knickersblog
    26/03/10 at 7:40

Consider 2 pieces giving the illusion of a bodysuit. Both Kiss Me Deadly & Made by Niki have pieces that would create the look until more designers jump on the bodysuit bandwagon.

8. pmpknface
    26/03/10 at 8:41

They are nice, but how much OTHER stuff could you stock your closet with instead of the D&G bodysuit? It's kind of a toss-up between the other 2 options. I think I like the AP suit more, but I'd wait it out before buying. I agree with the above poster, and wait a season or two for other knockoffs.

9. Treacle
    26/03/10 at 10:12

@Wrecked Stellar–Oh, I forgot! Wil do this weekend. :-)

@bsblove9–You're right…sometimes it takes awhile for a look to trickle down. I bet there'll be bodysuits aplenty next season.

@Darla–I agree. Thanks for the reminder.

@SoCalMan–I did not know Trashy handmade everything! I knew they had exclusive collections, and I knew their less expensive stuff was regular old Leg Avenue, but I had no idea their collections were in-house designed. That's great to know…thank you!

@Cervin–You're right…we can. ;-)

@Petra–Hadn't thought of going the handmade route, but if I ever decide I must have this piece…I'll check that out. Thanks!

@Katie–I'm not sure…a lot of Made by Niki's old stuff (like the longline bras, and low cut knickers) isn't around anymore. But I do remember the pieces you're talking. Which pieces were you thinking of from KMD?

@pmpknface–And I agree with you all too. And great point…I don't have a spare $1200 lying around (or a spare $200 for that matter) and there's sooo much other lingerie I could buy with that money. Quality lingerie, not the super-cheap stuff.

10. Mr Lovely Ladybug
    26/03/10 at 16:10

$1200 will buy you a frickin bespoke suit. You'd have to be completely insane to pay that kind of money for something off the rack. So I'd say no, not worth it. (Not to mention I'd rate those 'ugly as sin' and wouldn't pay $12, but I suppose eye of the beholder and all that…)

The AP suit is at least pretty, but that's still kind of a lot.

P.S. speaking of bespoke, you advertise on your blog someone who will do custom lingerie at a reasonable price…

11. Panty Buns
    26/03/10 at 19:13

That's a Dolce & Gabbana Lace bodysuit that Lady Gaga is wearing on Page 32 of April's Cosmopolitan Magazine. I had no idea they were that expensive, but they sure do look good. I'd love to fit that into my budget somehow.

12. SoCalMan
    26/03/10 at 20:37

@Treacle: Everything that is listed on their website under "Trashy Collections" is designed and made in Los Angeles. I've heard they've moved manufacturing from their store to the garment district, but it is definitely not contracted out, nor made off-shore. They dabbled in having some costumes and a couple of corsets made in China (and always clearly marked on the site), but have since backed off on that, as the masses want the Trashy touch.

I highly recommend the experience of shopping in their store. Lingerie lovers should easily plan on spending 2-3 hours.

13. sarah
    19/04/10 at 19:35

I've been lusting for one of these D&G bodysuits since one appeared on the Jan 2010 cover of Vogue. Have committed my entire spring budget to such a purchase – but now I can't find one ANYWHERE. Help!!! Any ideas about where I could purchase one the these FAB FAB FAB Floral bodysuits from D&G?