Why Sexy Lingerie is Important…Even If You’re Single

February is the time of year when many romantic couples give and receive lingerie. Lingerie is a wonderful gift, of course, but what about if you’re spending Valentine’s Day alone? Just you, a box of chocolates, and a romantic comedy or two? Well, you deserve sexy lingerie too! “But Treacle,” you might protest, “No one’s gonna see it, so what’s the point?” And to that I respond “Darling…lingerie is never about him. It’s always about you.” Here are my three reasons for why single ladies, maybe more than anyone else, should always rock the sexy knickers.

1) Wearing something sexy will make you feel sexy. That’s great in and of itself, but feeling sexy also  improves your confidence and improved confidence means better success in all aspects of your life.  I’ve read stories of boardroom execs who win the big contract after wearing a garter belt and stockings beneath their business suit, of new college grads who get their dream jobs after buying a lacy bra and panty set, of single chick who never stopped wearing their naughty lingerie and snagged a new guy quicker than you can say “Granny Panties”.  People know when you’re confident. Sexy lingerie (whatever sexy means to you) is an easy, inconspicious way of adding confidence.

2) Gorgeous lingerie puts you back in touch with your sensuality. The sight, the touch, the scent… they’re all reminders that you are a sensual being with erotic potential even if that potential isn’t currently in use.  I don’t advertise the fact, but I’ve been single for most of the time I’ve had my blog.  That means almost all the sexy lingerie I buy and review has never been seen by another person.  I wear it around the house, while lounging or doing laundry or writing the blog.  It’s so easy to lapse into feeling asexual when you’re not in a relationship.  Sexy lingerie is a way of keeping those embers warm.

3) Because you just never know. It may sound cliched, but it’s true.  Today might be the day…not for the love of your life, necessarily, but for a pleasant flirtation or romp between the sheets.  Do you really want to have your stretched out floral cotton undies on when that happens?  Whatever you’re wearing underneath should be at least as nice as what you’re wearing on top.  Oh, and remember what your Momma said about always wearing nice underwear in case you have go in the ambulance?  Yeah….that’s a good reason too.
I’m not saying you have to bust out the fringed g-string and vinyl bustier for a quiet evening at home (What?  You don’t own one?).  What I am saying is that it’s okay to splurge on yourself.  To quote the legendary Dita von Teese, “Lingerie is not about seducing men, it’s about embracing womanhood.”  Truer words have never been spoken.

1. DIXDEN
    12/02/10 at 15:56

How do not to agree. Every pretext is good to offer of the lingerie

2. Kelly
    12/02/10 at 16:08

GREAT post. I hate to think of single ladies languishing in ugly old granny panties and plain white bras just because there isn't someone around to see it. Some of my sexiest stuff has been purchased as a post-breakup pick-me-up, when I was certain that I wouldn't even entertain the idea of dating for quite some time.

3. MT
    12/02/10 at 16:46

I will go a step further…Fine lingerie is like a fine suite. I have had one custom tailored suite made for me a long time ago and there is nothing like it. The way the fabric of the suite falls onto your body like a second skin is amazing. Nice lingerie can do that as well. As a man who has introduced decent lingerie to the cotton pantie set in the past I can attest to the fact that wearing sensual lingerie can have a positive effect on several aspects of ones' life.

4. Ligeia
    12/02/10 at 17:49

hats off to this post missy
    I agree with every single word of it

mwah!

5. Kristine
    12/02/10 at 17:52

I agree with MT, taking the time to invest in lingerie, though not necessarily to the point of custom fitting, really can make a big difference in how you feel about yourself. I am single and although no one is looking at it, I know it's there and I feel good just for wearing it.

6. Charles
    12/02/10 at 18:29

yes, yes, & YES! i agree 100%, great post & great time to post it for those in singletown, myself included (v-day weekend) ;)
    xx

7. Leah
    12/02/10 at 18:36

When I was single, I tend to buy more sexy lingerie because I want the feeling of being sexy for myself. :-)

Now, when I buy sexy undies, the hubby thinks I'm doing it for him. No way! Hahaha!

8. Sarah @ Pandora's Box
    12/02/10 at 19:47

I totally agree! It doesn't matter what your status is, every chick deserves to feel sexy :)

9. Stein doll
    12/02/10 at 20:06

I agree single woman should still wear sexy lingerie.

10. Ruby ♥
    12/02/10 at 20:12

Could not agree more! I may have a day off & find myself schleping to the grocery store in sweats & my comfy boots but there is POWER in knowing what is underneath that!

11. Jennifer Fabulous
    12/02/10 at 21:57

I love this post! I think you have sold me. :) Heaven forbid I should ever become single again, I think I would actually take these tips to heart. There is nothing sadder than putting the lingerie away once you become single…

I hope you have a great weekend! xoxo

12. Dee Ann Scott
    12/02/10 at 22:55

Amen! 100% Amen!

It's been about a year since my boyfriend and I parted ways. I sort of went back into granny mode (I do have two grandsons) and have just been wearing boring old utilitarian undies. Sigh…

Well I finally have a date with a new guy and I was looking through my closet the other night for something to wear on my date and I saw all my nice lingerie pushed to the side, covered up with jeans and blouses.

I took out one of my lacy, sexy nightgown and peignoir sets and just sort of gave it a hug, like a long lost friend.

So I thought, hey, what the heck.
    Needless to say, I spent the rest of the night lounging in luxury.

I got out some Dibbs mint chocolate dibbs thingies and indulged.

My new boyfriend called and asked what I was doing. He asked me "why?".

My response, "Because, I'm treating myself, I'm just enjoying one of the many perks of being a woman. Sometimes we just need to enjoy the luxury of feeling sexy."

It was sooooo nice to just lounge around without a care in the world for an evening. I really need to do that more often. Since I've been alone most of the past year I've just trudged along through life in boring old sloppy walmart clothes and undies. How boring!

Love your post, it really makes me think I need to indulge myself in luxury more often..

Thanks!! :-)

13. maiddiane
    13/02/10 at 0:59

Hello Treacle,

You are a delight! i love the pictures and Your appreciation of classic lingerie.

You've made some great points – all right on the money. And i'm a big fan of Dita von Teese. Great quote!

i'll likely be alone on V Day, but will be enjoying the evening in some new lingerie of my own.

Hugs,
    diane

14. Em
    13/02/10 at 3:29

Sooo true. Wearing expensive lingerie makes a woman feel so sexy and a woman is entitled to feel sexy all the time even without a man.

15. Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl
    13/02/10 at 3:49

I can totally sign under that. TRUE :)

16. Kate @ Tres Lola
    13/02/10 at 4:49

Right on girl! I tend to wear nicer knickers when I'm single than when I'm in a relationship. Awful, I know. I think it's because I have more me time to shop for cute things, wash nice things by hand (instead of ruining them in the washing machine) & spend more time getting ready. Wearing sexy knickers all the time is awesome for a wee confidence boost too <3

17. chaoskontrolowany
    13/02/10 at 7:09

Great post!;))

xoxo M.

18. Anonymous
    13/02/10 at 14:17

Girls should definitely pamper themselves with some lovely lingerie…my favorite designer is Frances Smily http://www.francessmilylingerie.com

19. Marz
    13/02/10 at 21:58

Couldn't agree with you more!! Gorgeous lingerie has always been a staple of mine; I never buy anything that I don't think will make me feel anything less than fabulous. Its the feeling that all that pretty or sexy underwear can give you, its your little secret with yourself.
    -Marz

20. Clare
    13/02/10 at 23:00

Amen girl! You should always have sexy undies!!

21. Tulip
    17/02/10 at 13:42

I do agree with your post. You should always look sexy single or double..it doesn't matter…

22. Erotic Lingerie
    28/02/10 at 11:36

Hurrah, I've been saying this for years, if anything I think I find wearing exciting lingerie more fun when I'm single, then I know its just for me!

Love the Blog, just discovered it…

23. John Davies
    01/06/10 at 14:37

Hi Treacle

Have just joined this site and it looks very good and some of the content is very naughty but nice !

On this blog there are graphics and I would like to add similar to my lingerie site but I cannot locate anything.

Can you advise please.

John

24. dcsurfergirl
    20/09/10 at 19:15

I totally agree. For me, it's not always about feeling sexy.

I am plus-sized so shopping for clothes usually makes me want to either laugh or cry. So much ugly, baggy polyester stuff, so little time. I end up wearing a lot of jeans, t-shirts, plain black dresses and black pants because I really don't want to wear big tent t-shirts with loud prints.

Sometimes my bra and panties are the only clothing I am wearing on any given day that I actually like.

25. fancylingeriestore
    25/10/10 at 5:14

Yes and please don't forget if you are in an accident…

26. marlowe + wren
    15/11/10 at 12:16

Treacle you make me laugh so hard! My mom always told me to wear beautiful underwear everyday too just in case something were to happen and I had to go to the doctor unexpectedly.

I enjoy reading your blog posts so much because I feel like the power and purpose of lingerie gets abused in mainstream media and it's refreshing to get a reminder of the true purpose of lingerie is.

Keep up the inspirational work!

27. techpixie
    29/01/11 at 21:14

I'm glad there are other people who share my theory. I rarely go anywhere without my sexy lingerie. And if someone else knows I'm wearing it then it's just an added bonus.

28. marlen.james
    30/01/11 at 10:38

Awesome post Treacle! Let's throw out nasty nickers and but new ones! :)

29. Anonymous
    18/08/11 at 17:33

I'm a heavy girl and used to have no confidence, but I started buying myself some foxy lingerie and I saw it actually improved my confidence. Just because nobody saw it doesn't mean it doesn't make ME feel sexy. I see it, and every time I do I just think "damn girl, you really are beautiful."

30. Sia
    24/10/11 at 10:27

I think you are so right. Wearing something sexy will make you feel sexy and confident and wearing gorgeous lingerie does put you back in touch with your sensuality which is always important.

31. Simone
    03/09/12 at 1:23

I love this! I’m a firm believer in wearing nice underwear just for yourself. These are all great points :)

32. Shy
    02/12/12 at 22:26

I definitely agree with you! Though I do have a boyfriend, and he does enjoy the lingerie I bring to the bedroom, I honestly buy the stuff for myself more than I do him. May sound a little selfish, but it’s true! ;)