Indigo Blue’s Burlesque class: Day 2

After choosing our stage names in the first burlesque class, it was time to decide on other important details…like song, character, and costume.  I knew right away that I wanted my act to involve an afro, an attitude, and something skintight & shiny.

I also determined that I wanted Velvet La Soie (my character) to be a Louisiana native, a tough-yet-classy broad who could kick your ass six ways to Sunday but still clean up nice enough for the fanciest restaurant in town. I’ve always had a special place in heart for the Blaxploitation films of the 1970′s, and so my thoughts immediately drifted to larger-than-life vixens like Cleopatra Jones as inspiration.

After that, the next biggest issue was music.  As my instructor, Miss Indigo Blue, emphasized, music sets the mood and conveys intent.  It could even be considered the most important part of the whole routine.  I settled in for a long evening of listening to my Ipod, and narrowed my choices down to three tracks: Beggin’ by MadCon, Bigger by Propellerheads, and Tie Me Up by Dirty Stop Out.  After another hour or so, I chose The Propellerheads as my final selection.  A rather silly YouTube video of the song is below, but hopefully you can get an idea of how I might work it.  What do you think?  Did I make the right selection?

Finally, we talked about costuming ideas.  As I’ve mentioned before on the blog, I’ll buy anything, no matter how improbable, and I’d been waiting for an excuse to wear my gold lame boyshorts in public.  Yes, I know.  It’s tragic that I even own gold lame boyshorts, but what can I say?   I really like to sparkle.  A quick trip to the local Seattle American Apparel, and I picked up a gold bikini top and gold headband too.

Whew…I got a lot done this week, but I’m just getting started.  Everything from finalizing the routine, to finding the rest of my costume, to working up the courage to invite my friends has to come next.  I’ll suspend this series until after Valentine’s Day, but I’d love to get your feedback on where I am so far.  Comment away!

1. joei
    30/01/10 at 4:21

a burlesque class sounds interesting! honestly, this is the first time i've heard of one :)

anyway, i think the link to the video is broken. or maybe, it's just on my end.

♥ joei

2. Julia, the Thanksgiving Girl
    30/01/10 at 5:33

Ah I'm still so excited for you! :) Your music choice is a very ineterstign one – I can see how you can work it, but something tells me it's not going to be easy! But yay for not settling for somethign easy and obvious, the challenge is always good and usually ends up bringing better results! :) Best of luck!

3. Petra Bellejambes
    30/01/10 at 6:16

I think the song completely hits the fuzzy, funky feel of the era. Nice.

The lessons sound like a blast. You know your friends are going to love the show, and envy you your nerve (and other assets no doubt).

xoxo- Petra

4. Ruby ♥
    30/01/10 at 10:31

Great song choice. I do love Beggin' though too.

5. Claudia Lawrence
    30/01/10 at 10:35

Hi, ur blog is really nice and beautiful, i truly like & enjoy it. I just wanna suggest that u should go for blog advertising & marketing there is a website which is offering very unique features at affordable prices. There are Expert advertising teams who will promote ur blog & affiliate ads through all over the networks. All u have to do is submit your blog plus pay affordable prices and rest leave it to Advertising Team for Promotion & Marketing then see how u enjoy a lots of quality traffic plus good readers to ur blog. Finally I have bookmarked ur blog & also shared with my friends hope u have a wonderful day & !!happy blogging!!.

6. T-Rex
    30/01/10 at 11:07

I am so excited for you! And I want to see you perform your routine, somehow, when you are ready.

7. Mary Jo from TrustYourStyle
    30/01/10 at 12:36

Sounds so fun! Just wanted to let you know that you won the TrustYourStyle Business of Style postcard giveaway! Email me when you have a chance so I can get your details–congrats!!!

xo Mary Jo

8. andifemmeboi
    30/01/10 at 12:37

Love your blog! Just discovered it and now I have to read them all! THink youare on the right track with the outfits.
    kisses, Andrea

9. Kelly
    30/01/10 at 22:15

Treacle. I LOVE the character you've come up with. Love love love. It sounds awesome!

10. Bunny
    31/01/10 at 0:51

It sounds really fun, I love that stuff! Beggin' is a good song, but I also love the propellerheads. I used to dance, so I'm always dancing to that stuff in my head. And kudos for the gold pants!

11. Janus
    31/01/10 at 19:34

If you're going with the retro-70s look, you definitely need a pair of gold knee-high boots to go with that outfit. Something that says, "Don't f**k with me, Nancy Sinatra!"

12. Marsha
    31/10/10 at 17:13

I really like the Tie Me Up song the best. Maybe it's the beat I can relate to the best. It also reminds me of that '70s song, "Bang a Gong."

Love your blog!