The wonderful ladies at The Lingerie Post also love stockings and just put up a scan of the latest “Beauty by Numbers” (a trivia page) from Allure magazine. This month’s edition is all about the history of stockings. Better study–there will be a quiz. ;-)
I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open, but I have to blog because today is my 500th post. When I started Stockings Addict, I wasn’t even sure I’d still be around in a month…much less 18 months. And I have to say, without exaggeration, that starting this stockings blog is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in my life–right up there with backpacking across Europe and moving to Seattle. Though I’m not the most popular stockings blogger online, I think my little corner of the internet is a great success, and here’s why:
1) Better sex life. I debated even including this item since the relationship I planned to write about ended last weekend. But you know what? Writing about lingerie and wearing lingerie makes me feel sexy…and if that’s not a part of having a good sex life, I don’t know what is.
2) Awesome social network. I’ve met and talked to people that I would have never known without starting this blog. One of them is even a real life galpal, Stocking Vixen. Relationships can’t be measured in dollars, so even if I were to stop writing tomorrow (and don’t worry, I won’t!) Stockings Addict is a success because of the friends I’ve made.
3) People read my blog and value the information here. If I didn’t have readers and commenters, I would have stopped writing long ago. Your feedback sustains me, and I want you to know that I appreciate every single visit.
4) I have learned so much about lingerie. Believe it or not, I used to hate lingerie. Growing up in the South, I had to wear ill-fitting pantyhose to church every Sunday, and I thought girdles were a tool of the devil. Writing this blog has exposed me to so much that, even though I’m a long way from being an expert, I’m definitely a more knowledgeable consumer..
5) A new identity as a writer. It hit me a few weeks ago, that I’m one of those people. A blogger. A writer even. It’s an identity that’s grown on me, and with plans to take Stockings Addict to its next phase, I’m ready to take my writing to the next level as well.
I love the delicate lace of these stockings. Very European chic, and quite reasonable at $20.00
My blogging friend Tights Lover, writer of the super-fantastic lingerie blog The Panty Drawer, just gave me a Superior Scribbler blog award. Mr. Tights Lover and I started blogging at the same time (April 2008), and I’ve been an avid fan of his writing ever since so this is quite an honor.
The rules of the award dictate that you have to pass it on to five other bloggers. So, without further ado, here are my nominees:
And because I simply cannot make an entry without posting some stockings related image, why don’t you check out the pic below? It’s my new fav…until tomorrow at least!
Now that we’ve gotten the negative news out of the way by talking about the three kinds of lingerie you should never buy online, let’s move on to a more positive topic–the three types of lingerie that are worth buying from the comfort of your own home.
1) Legwear. My favorite kind of lingerie…this includes stockings, socks, tights, and pantyhose. The internet has a better selection and better prices than any brick-and-mortar store can compete with, and sometimes these retailers offer free shipping.
In addition, it’s much easier to comparison shop online, and you could wind up paying significantly less than the sticker price if you visit coupon websites like Retail Me Not before purchasing. Just in keep in mind that most retailers will not accept stockings returns once the package is open, so make sure you want what you’re buying.
2) International Brands. If you’re a European lingerie fanatic (like me!) , then you know that lots of fantastic lingerie brands simply aren’t available in the US. In this case, online shopping is a godsend.
Before buying anything, though, you need to know your measurements, your converted lingerie size for that particular country or label, and the shipping & return policies for the retailer. It’s also a good idea to do a quick web search and see if anyone has had complaints with the store. As always, you can contact me; I’ve bought from more websites than I can write about.
3) Vintage. E-bay is one of the great online resources for vintage lingerie addicts. I’ve seen some of the most extraordinary pieces at the most extraordinary prices over there. I’ll do a more detailed post on how to buy lingerie from E-bay in the next couple of weeks, but, for now the most important things to remember are that you need to check the seller’s feedback, shipping & return policies, and to always pay via Paypal.
What kind of lingerie do you like to buy online? Tell me in the comments!
StockingsHQ is has recently begun carrying their own, exclusive line of shapewear . In terms of fit, function, and outright flirtatiousness, there is nothing like a well made open bottom girdle. Now I just have to decide if I want the black skirted version or the pink lace one.