Why Do Lingerie Companies Relabel Products?

I’ve mentioned the issue of lingerie companies claiming that certain hosiery designs are “exclusive” to them or “made” by them or any other adjective which conveys the notion that your company had a much greater hand in creating this particular nylon than it has.

While I understand it’s marketing, I also believe it’s dishonest,deceitful, and takes advantage of your less lingerie savvy clients who may not know, for example, that you just marked up those so-called “exclusive” items by 100% or more.

Case in point, I received an e-mail from a company directing me to the following thigh-high:

The description next to the stocking says the following, “The Art Deco Lace Top thigh high has a unique ‘Art Deco’ design in the sheer nylon net. We topped it with our world famous Veronica Lace to create a work of Art.” Notice the use of the word “create” as well as the ownership this particularly company takes of the design, even insinuating that the “world famous” lace is also their own creation.

Now take a look at these next couple of photos from Cervin:

As you can see, neither the lace nor the pattern from the first photo is anything close to an original design from that company.

The kicker? The first company was charging $30.00 for those stockings, when you could get them for half that off the Cervin website.

Am I the only person who thinks that’s not quite right?

1. Janus
    21/04/09 at 13:23

At the very least, they are being rather . . . flexible with the truth.

2. Treacle
    21/04/09 at 17:06

Exactly, and that just seems unethical.

3. T-Rex
    23/04/09 at 0:15

Yes, it annoys me, too. And makes me trust those companies a lot less.

4. Treacle
    23/04/09 at 0:16

Exactly, T! It’s hard to feel very loyal to companies who have no qualms about inflating the truth.

5. Stocking Vixen
    25/04/09 at 0:08

It definitely happens. I own some Paris Fleur-de-lis Foot Traffic tights that a more upscale company is selling under its own label, just with a different, fancier French name, but otherwise identical. The ritzier store’s blog even linked to a photo of myself I had posted because they thought I was wearing “theirs”(and in all fairness, the blogger had no way of knowing I hadn’t gotten mine at their store). I was so confused until I read your recent posts about this relabeling practice.

6. Treacle
    25/04/09 at 1:48

Aside from the ethics issue re: labeling, I think I’m also bothered because it’s completely unnecessary.

When I go to other retailers like StockingsHQ or MyTights or Girdlebound, the owners are completely up front about the garments they sell.

To me, that shows not only honesty but confidence in your business practice. If you’re charging people a fair price, then you shouldn’t have to worry about them finding your “exclusive” items sold elsewhere.